Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of car wash is it? Ive always been told not to take a Tesla...

Not my car in the picture but the one I use….
B934C82E-5930-4AAD-B67C-1A10C20FB99D.png

just one if those spinner car washes. I have used them since 2015 now on Tesla #5. If you get a decent PPF you can use these 3-5 times a week (daily commuter beater car for me) and it will look good as new 50k - 60k 70k miles ahead. I just spritz it with my detail spray when I get home and a < 5 minute wipe down

Welp. 150 miles in and car basically went into basic mode. No power steering. No regen. And other issues.

Pulled over and turned vehicle power off for 2 minutes and it worked fine for another mile before it went into basic mode again.

Can’t schedule an independent appointment for this as I already had one for the cosmetic issues lined up. Will have to wait until service center opens to see what to do.

Not going to lie, it’s pretty defeating to have these issues pop up so soon and I’m fully prepared that something is catastrophically wrong. I hope that isn’t the case and it’s some sensor gone awry.

View attachment 711362
You can always just drive to the service center to initiate an immediate appointment. Anytime I have a serious issue that’s what I do and they immediately accept the car and start working on it the same day or soon after.

I’m not positive but I believe they plan for some customers to ignore the schedule and bring their cars in directly.

Not my car in the picture but the one I use….View attachment 711372

just one if those spinner car washes. I have used them since 2015 now on Tesla #5. Is you get a decent PPF you can use these 3-5 times a week (daily commenter beater car for me) and it will look good as more 50k - 60k 70k miles ahead. I just spritz it with my detail spray when I get home and a < 5 minute wipe do

Ah, so the PPF is the key here? Guess I'm going to have to splurge for that and maybe even paint correction. Wasn't going to, but with a car like this, probably needs it.

You can always just drive to the service center to initiate an immediate appointment. Anytime I have a serious issue that’s what I do and they immediately accept the car and start working on it the same day or soon after.

I’m not positive but I believe they plan for some customers to ignore the schedule and bring their cars in directly.
I’ll call them today to see if anything can be done for that, not even sure if service part of Tesla will be open on Sundays. Will report back once I hear what it was/is resolved.

Certainly for emergencies. This is one.

Ah, so the PPF is the key here? Guess I'm going to have to splurge for that and maybe even paint correction. Wasn't going to, but with a car like this, probably needs it.

We have done it to all of our cars for the ease of maintenance 1st and lookin damn good 2nd.

Don’t let your detailer go crazy on “paint correction”. Interestingly enough the PPF will do more than you think for paint appearance. A good pre-polish for sure but hours of extensive damage ain’t correction… it necessary at all.

Since my car is being delivered to my house, how do I go about report things that I want corrected? Like just take it back to the nearest Tesla center?
I believe you have 24 hours to report any issues. I assume you’d use the app to report issues and schedule a service appointment.

If you can obtain its date of manufacture
Not sure you can count on VIN #s being purely chronological at least in the short run. I believe the #s are created in batches well before cars are produced. Not sure how they are assigned to cars. I just don’t believe it’s sequential as they roll down the assembly line especially since similar configurations & delivery destinations are also likely batched together for efficiency…

That said, here’s my datapoint:
I was able to find out the birthdate of my car by calling Tesla. Took a bit of time & effort for the kind & helpful Tesla employee to find it.
5YJSA1E64MF442###
Born 9/9/2021
RN113953###
Reserved 9/22/20
Delivery Tomorrow !
9/20/21 in Portland OR
Red Plaid Model S
Black Carbon Fiber Interior.
19” Wheels
FSD
$12,000 less than if ordered today including $2k FSD savings (was $8k)
027EDF28-2BF7-4962-8B16-AE290AA47564.jpeg

Either overspray or missing clear coat on the passenger side view mirror, weird lines in the roof glass, dented A pillar speaker, shaking driver sideview mirror, now the door handle issue. I made the appointment a while ago but they didn’t have anything available for over a month ahead. It’s slowly creeping up to the appointment time and they said they’ll give me Uber credits to get around until the car is fixed.

View attachment 711200

View attachment 711201

View attachment 711203

View attachment 711204

View attachment 711205

View attachment 711208
Welp, now the driver door handle won’t hide at all. Added it to my list lol.

F51A0BAB-697E-4E74-BC63-E7974A2D7D29.jpeg

I really wanted the +. Or the Plaid with 4680s. Why? The former for the performance. The latter for the range. Duh.

I’ll be driving to San Diego often over the next -two years to visit one of my sons. I wanted a car that could get me there, about town a bit, and back on one charge. Comfortably. And at speed.

It’s 134 miles one way. If this Plaid can do it. I’m good.
I do not think I could do that with my car now in warm flat S. FL :(

Off topic…So, prior to delivery, I was set on changing my wheels, either to powder coat OEM wheels (which someone likened to putting lipstick on a pig) or to some aftermarket option. Now that I have the car, I actually really like the aero covers with my blackout look. And I’m thinking it will take away from the blackout look if I have bright shiny rotors staring back at me. Lol. No one I’ve encountered (yet) has made fun of the aero caps. Any thoughts?
I am a big fan of the stock 19" aero covers myself.

Especially with the matte finish of MSM thanks to stealth PPF, the wheels match the rest of the car very nicely since the grey finish is also matte, and the shiny black part of the aero covers matches the gloss black trim "chrome delete" around the windows.

I've received many compliments on both PPF and wheels (I don't think anyone knew they were "hub caps" lol):

IMG_0250.jpeg