Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go! Blackout rotors!
I'm very familiar with RB rotors, having owned a set on my M3P. They are nice and black when new, but that coating goes away after bedding them in (an absolute must before driving spiritedly!)

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_0168.jpeg

Anyone else have buyers remorse after their purchase? I’ve never purchased something so expensive(besides a house) or a new car before. Like I’ve been wanting a Tesla for like 6 years and should be arriving this coming Saturday but I can’t help but feel so guilty that my anxiety has been a problem.
Maybe I’m just overthinking lol
When I bought the 2014 P85 I had never spent that much on a car... $106,000 and it was pretty stripped. Fully loaded a P85 was $135.000. I consider the Plaid a bargain compared to 2014 prices. It is like getting a computer, cheaper year after year. I also bought TSLA before the P85 and was underwater for 5 years. I am keeping the P85 with 110,000 miles and the Plaid was paid for by TSLA Stock.

This may help. The LR and Plaid appear to be almost exactly the same car underneath, with even the same battery.

First Look Underneath the Tesla Model S Long Range AND Plaid / Erik Robertson

Hm so considering it's only $9000 for a Plaid rear drive unit, I wonder if it would be possible to get one of those and install it into an LR to turn it into a Plaid and save $30k. Would need root access though.

By the way, all this talk about Porsche vs Tesla handling is like comparing apples to oranges - completely different animals.

If I tracked on a much more regular basis, I would have probably gone for the LR for every day driving (incl. having fun in mountain roads) and bought a lightweight dedicated track car (likely a used Porsche) with the spare ~50k.

But I have too many other hobbies to justify having a dedicated track car, and don't want to deal with parking and insurance for 2 cars of my own (we have another Model S in the household and live in SF).

IMHO, the Plaid does a lot of things amazingly well, and is still really fun to drive on twisty roads. I'll reserve judgment once I finally get to track it, but even with a much lighter M3P (700-some lbs less), I fully realize the limitations of a heavy electric car (Taycan included).

I have driven plenty of Porsches, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. on the track to know weight and suspension/brake setup is everything. Power is nice but you can have so much fun and make up lap time in the corners with a properly balanced, track-oriented/dedicated car.

Until the Roadster comes out with 4680 cells and shaves tons of weight off the existing line-up, I don't think anyone in their right mind can say Tesla is making a track-oriented car. The Plaid does make up for lap times with amazing acceleration, but even with torque vectoring it will not be able to handle corners anything like a lightweight gasmobile. Doesn't mean it can’t still be tons of fun for the occasional track day.

Ultimately it really depends what you value most, and to me Tesla did a heck of a job covering a LOT of use cases with ONE car: the Plaid. It's comfortable, quiet, FAST as heck, handles decently well, but brakes weirdly and will never corner as well as track-oriented cars.

Best part for me: it doesn't produce any emissions while letting me enjoy spirited driving without the guilt of contributing to climate change :)

Last edited:
Not sure you can count on VIN #s being purely chronological at least in the short run. I believe the #s are created in batches well before cars are produced. Not sure how they are assigned to cars. I just don’t believe it’s sequential as they roll down the assembly line especially since similar configurations & delivery destinations are also likely batched together for efficiency…

That said, here’s my datapoint:
I was able to find out the birthdate of my car by calling Tesla. Took a bit of time & effort for the kind & helpful Tesla employee to find it.
5YJSA1E64MF442###
Born 9/9/2021
RN113953###
Reserved 9/22/20
Delivery Tomorrow !
9/20/21 in Portland OR
Red Plaid Model S
Black Carbon Fiber Interior.
19” Wheels
FSD
$12,000 less than if ordered today including $2k FSD savings (was $8k)
View attachment 711381

Nice! Shouldn't it be $14,000 less than if ordered today? I thought they gave all pre-refresh orders a $2000 discount due to the price increase. So you should have $2,000 from that, $2,000 from FSD, and $10,000 foro the price increase on the initial refresh price to now.

Not sure you can count on VIN #s being purely chronological at least in the short run. I believe the #s are created in batches well before cars are produced. Not sure how they are assigned to cars. I just don’t believe it’s sequential as they roll down the assembly line especially since similar configurations & delivery destinations are also likely batched together for efficiency…

That said, here’s my datapoint:
I was able to find out the birthdate of my car by calling Tesla. Took a bit of time & effort for the kind & helpful Tesla employee to find it.
5YJSA1E64MF442###
Born 9/9/2021
RN113953###
Reserved 9/22/20
Delivery Tomorrow !
9/20/21 in Portland OR
Red Plaid Model S
Black Carbon Fiber Interior.
19” Wheels
FSD
$12,000 less than if ordered today including $2k FSD savings (was $8k)
View attachment 711381
Thank you for your answer
On the contrary, I think there is some chronology.
I found here TMC, Youtube and FB of the VIN,s and the dates of manufacture.
Here is my little file

Capture d’écran 2021-09-19 210155.png

By the way, all this talk about Porsche vs Tesla handling is like comparing apples to oranges - completely different animals.

If I tracked on a much more regular basis, I would have probably gone for the LR for every day driving (incl. having fun in mountain roads) and bought a lightweight dedicated track car (likely a used Porsche) with the spare ~50k.

But I have too many other hobbies to justify having a dedicated track car, and don't want to deal with parking and insurance for 2 cars of my own (we have another Model S in the household and live in SF).

IMHO, the Plaid does a lot of things amazingly well, and is still really fun to drive on twisty roads. I'll reserve judgment once I finally get to track it, but even with a much lighter M3P, I fully realize the limitations of a heavy electric car (Taycan included).

I have driven plenty of Porsches, Ferraris, McLarens, etc. on the track to know weight and suspension/brake setup is everything. Power is nice but you can have so much fun with a properly balanced, track-oriented/dedicated car.

Until the Roadster comes out with 4680 cells and shaves tons of weight off the existing line-up, I don't think anyone in their right mind can say Tesla is making a track-oriented car. They do make up for lap times with acceleration, but even with torque vectoring they will not be able to handle corners anything like a lightweight gasmobile. Doesn't mean they're not still tons of fun for the occasional track day.

Ultimately it really depends what you value most, and to me Tesla did a heck of a job covering a LOT of use cases with ONE car: the Plaid. It's comfortable, quiet, FAST as heck, handles decently well, but brakes weirdly and will never corner as well as track-oriented cars.

Best part for me: it doesn't produce any emissions while letting me enjoy spirited driving without the guilt of contributing to climate change :)
I agree and that was exactly my point. This is why I’m purchasing a Tesla as a daily driver. That wasn’t my argument. They are two different cars. Apples to oranges.

Shout out to the community who have already taken delivery (X-post)- Can we have a few members go out any see if your rear seats auto flip flat when you activate the seat release buttons in the trunk on the driver's side? My MY has the same buttons and the seats are motorized and flip to lower position automatically. With my three times the price Plaid, the only thing that happens is the seats unlock and you still have to reach forward and push the seats down yourself. How does your LR/Plaid work?

I agree and that was exactly my point. This is why I’m purchasing a Tesla as a daily driver. That wasn’t my argument. They are two different cars. Apples to oranges.
Of course they are all different cars. I can easily argue that a Miata is a more capable track car then either the Porsche or a Tesla. I just question what seems to be your stance that every Porsche automatically has track superiority over any Tesla because of its superior “handling”. Throw in the dollars spent factor and you can really open up this argument.

Nice! Shouldn't it be $14,000 less than if ordered today? I thought they gave all pre-refresh orders a $2000 discount due to the price increase. So you should have $2,000 from that, $2,000 from FSD, and $10,000 foro the price increase on the initial refresh price to now.
My reservation ($1,000 deposit) was originally a Plaid that I ordered on Battery Day (9/22/20 when it was announced) It became a Plaid+ reservation when the current Plaids came along. I had it converted to a Plaid shortly after the Plaid+ was canceled. So no price increase was actually experienced. People who got $2k off actually got a $8k price increase. vs a $10k price increase over pre-refresh pricing. Tesla just discounted 2k of the increase to ease the pain…

Thank you for your answer
On the contrary, I think there is some chronology.
I found here TMC, Youtube and FB of the VIN,s and the dates of manufacture.
Here is my little file

View attachment 711412
Definitely, over time. Just saying it’s not necessarily sequential.
There is a lack of precision in this data for both VIN#s & dates.

I am a big fan of the stock 19" aero covers myself.

Especially with the matte finish of MSM thanks to stealth PPF, the wheels match the rest of the car very nicely since the grey finish is also matte, and the shiny black part of the aero covers matches the gloss black trim "chrome delete" around the windows.

I've received many compliments on both PPF and wheels (I don't think anyone knew they were "hub caps" lol):

View attachment 711402
Car looks amazing! Can you share a few more angles?

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I think my car was delivered to the SC today. Is it possible to go after hours and just look at it in the lot?
I wasn’t able to @ the Portland OR SC. Apparently, it was actually in a nearby warehouse where it is initially received and possibly prepped. They let me look at cars on premises (exterior only)