Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tough decision. Unlike ICE cars, the technology for EVs is changing rapidly. We might have solid state batteries in 3-5 years (doubtful). We'll definitely have 4680s even on Elon time and a lot of new EV models from everyone. I was torn between leasing and buying too and almost decided to lease after they cancelled the Plaid + and it became clear that no 4680 model S cars would be coming anytime soon.

Lurking on the forums here before ordering changed my mind. There was the lease timing issue you mentioned (what do you do in 36 months if they announce 4680s and you end up in this situation but without a car while you wait). Plus, all the talk of PPF and Ceramic has me convinced I need it but since it is not worth the expense on a short term lease, I figured I would buy the car, keep it 5 or more years, and hope the loss in resale value (even with aged EV tech) will be a wash compared to 2+ years of payments. Also, I am already saving a ton by not being able to buy the Plaid + (I really want the latest battery tech) and instead buying the LR to tide me over.

LR, MS with black interior, no FSD, 19" wheels, ordered May 1, RN1148 // current EDD 9/21-30 BUT I have entered my EDD range this month 2x already and each time my EDD got pushed back the day after I entered the range/ my SA says I am getting October production/ all BS, only VIN matters).
Thanks. I keep vacillating, was sure I was going to leawe and keep 3 years, I have a real concern about the next car after the lease…I also agree, I won’t do ppf on a lease either.

I’m scheduled to pickup tomorrow and never received a call from the SC in Charlotte. I just kept calling the customer service number and spoke with someone every few days to make sure everything was on schedule.
I would call Tesla in the morning to be sure your car is actually there before showing up. They can 'ping' it to see its location.

Took Delivery Today.
Build Date: 9/9/21
Red Black CF PLAID 19” Wheels
Car appears near perfect.
Amazing.
Fantastic Drive to ALSET for Full Wrap & Ceramic coating.
I’ll try to post links to videos tomorrow. For now…
Here are a few sneak peeks of screenshots from my videos:
AA445185-0831-40BC-A8C1-55A8D31A46A0.jpeg
C59C720B-FD93-45E3-BCF8-797EAB5EB7FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Took Delivery Today.
Build Date: 9/9/21
Red Black CF PLAID 19” Wheels
Car appears near perfect.
Amazing.
Fantastic Drive to ALSET for Full Wrap & Ceramic coating.
I’ll try to post links to videos tomorrow. For now…
Here are a few sneak peeks of screenshots from my videos:
View attachment 712289View attachment 712290
Congrats! Looks great. Exact same config I ordered exactly a year ago..

When you wrote “nearly perfect” what issue(s) did you find?

Congrats! Looks great. Exact same config I ordered exactly a year ago..

When you wrote “nearly perfect” what issue(s) did you find?
None that I could find.
Nothing missing either.
My inspection may not have been perfect. ALSET, the detailer / PPF installer couldn’t find any flaws either.

Yup, I've been keeping an eye on inventory available for immediate sale, but it turns out that it would actually be better if Tesla's EDD of Jan-Feb ends up being correct, as I need that much time to arrange to pay for it the way I'd like to.

In an attempt to head off the inevitable "how are you paying for it?" "You're financing it??? What are you thinking, man?" "You're an idiot to finance a car!" type of thread depreciation, I'll just state the following...

Yes, I *could* pay cash for the car. But like most people, my "cash" isn't in "cash." It's in investments. Stocks, to be specific. And I don't want to sell any of my current portfolio to pay for a car.

So the option becomes financing, as most (luckily) of my investments are performing better than the interest rate on a car loan, then the choice is car loan, right? Nope. I have enough equity in our house to refinance it, take out a bit of equity, and end up "financing" the car at a much lower interest rate (ie, the primary mortgage), stretch it out over a longer period of time, and even write the interest off on my taxes, since the car will be "financed" through the primary mortgage of our principal residence. And of course, there's the option to pay it back more quickly if I so desire (and, in fact, I do).

There's a bunch of different ways to pay for a car.... this is just the one that makes the most sense for my particular situation. Again, there are a lot of options. This is the one I chose. And yes, I'm aware of the alternatives. ;) So many "money managers" here on TMC!

"But if you do it like this!!!!!!...." Hush, you. I'm not on a financial forum, I'm on a CAR forum. But thanks for your good intentions. :)

Anyway, it's going to take a few months to get the mortgage done.
I paid cash for my MS in 2016. Big mistake since I should have invested that money into TSLA along with the shares I already owned. Cost me over a million for that car based on money lost due to opportunity cost.

Felt like it'd be cathartic to share my frustrating experience with Tesla this close to the goal line.

Got a VIN 8/28, original delivery date of 9/8-9/14.

Since then I have had my date move out 9 times. First it was transit from El Paso to Birmingham that was delayed, and now it's been sitting in the Alabama rail yard for over a week.

• Last Friday, it was expected at the SC on Sunday (9/19)
  • On Sunday, it was pushed to Tuesday (9/21)
  • Yesterday it was pushed to Wednesday night (9/22)
God only knows when I am going to get this car, but it'll be close to a month between receiving a VIN and taking delivery.

I told them I would fly to Birmingham to pick it up, but they wouldn't even consider it.

Yeah man, anyone who disagrees with you definitely has a problem either with comprehension or other. You're never wrong, everyone else who calls you out is, right? Like I said, it wasn't just me. Other users found your comments to be in poor taste and you refuse to acknowledge that you failed to verbalize your opinion in a proper manner.
Listen, word vomit isn't going to help you here. Take responsibility, or not, and move on. I do not care either way. Peace out!
When you tell someone what their motivations are, and that person disagrees with you, you are absolutely wrong. You started this exchange when you quoted me, and then proceeded to tell me how I feel about things and told me what my motivations are. I notice everyone who gave you a heart is on my ignore list. I'm guessing those are the same people who you say told me of their disapprovals? I didn't see those.

Word vomit? I'm guessing you have nothing constructive to add anymore. I suggest you take responsibility as well. You started this exchange by applying your incorrect assessment of my point of view. If you don't have the stomach for this conversation, then walk away.

Reactions: Bill Price