Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not change. FSD, Blue, black and white interior, CF, 19” wheels. Ordered Jan. 29th.

Well during our convo a VIN appeared. Finally! but it says Sept 28-30th. 5YJSA1E65MF4xxxxx

Looks like they've cleared the last of order config types holding delivery off then; we're seeing white int/CF/19" early orders all being delivered Q3 (hopefully). I was not a Plaid+ original order for clarity, but looks like 3 converted Plaid+ folks here with similar configs just got theirs first too. I'll probably add to my Tesla stock holding Monday then. It's a good sign.

Last edited:
Wins in drag racing happen by “negligible” margins. How much do people pay for carbon fiber wheels to save a few pounds? The 21”s weigh an enormous 9 lbs more per corner… No way to ignore such a HUGE difference.
A couple of questions, Mr. Plaid Channel:

1.) If the unsprung weight savings of say 10lb. per corner should theoretically make a significant difference, then why haven't we actually seen documented results of significant differences in 1/4 mi. times for MS Plaids with much lighter weight wheels? Please note that although I haven't yet taken delivery of my MS Plaid (hopefully within the next few weeks in early - mid Oct according to my Tesla acct & local SC Mgr & FL RM), BUT I thought the same thing, so my set of 21" lightweight forged Signature wheels (~ 10lb weight savings at each wheel from the oem 21" Tesla Arachnid wheels) have been sitting in my garage for a few weeks now awaiting my MS Plaid, lol. I will be swapping the oem 21" Michelin PS4 tires from my Arachnids to the new 21" Signature wheels. ;) But, it seems like guys like Brooks and others aren't seeing much difference by using lighter weight (and even smaller) wheels with the Tesla MS Plaid in terms of performance. Please chime in if you can.

2.) You being the 1/4 mi. Tesla guru here, have you seen any problems with basically what others would consider beating up your Tesla every single week, running it multiple times at the track over the years (from previous Tesla's you've owned and tracked)? Any problems/breakdowns with suspension, the actual electric motors or other issues with the Teslas you run at the track every week? I know ICE vehicles are different with thousands of moving parts, wires, connections, and mechanical pieces vs. an EV that's pretty much all battery operated software running 2-3 electric motors with very few moving parts but just curious.

I have zero intention of taking my MS Plaid to the track (been there, done that many times with other ICE vehicles I've owned and I guess I got the 1/4 mi. track bug out of my system), but I'm glad you're enjoying yourself and running your car out there every week here in Florida (I'm on the SE Coast - South of W. Palm Beach / North of Ft Lauderdale). It's guys like you and Brooks @ DragTimes that help everyone understand and appreciate our vehicles. Thank you! :cool:

Last edited:
I'm to am hoping my car will be a '22 model year. My EDD puts me right on the bubble.
Q: Does anyone actually KNOW when Tesla institutes the model year change over?? I've seen lots of speculations and guesses. It'd be nice to know for sure (for resale in 2-3 yrs to buy Roadster).

I was told Tesla doesn't change over the model year to the next model year until either Dec or Jan (next year) build, while most other auto mfgr's begin designating their cars (the next year model) that arrive in Oct or Nov (sometimes even in Sept) of the previous year.
That was true until last year, I believe. Had a friend get a MY that was made and delivered last Oct. It was a '21 model. Doesn't mean that's true this year.

When you get your VIN and if it has a "N" instead of a "M," it should be a '22 model.

That was true until last year, I believe. Had a friend get a MY that was made and delivered last Oct. It was a '21 model. Doesn't mean that's true this year.

When you get your VIN and if it has a "N" instead of a "M," it should be a '22 model.
In November 2019 I took delivery of a 2020 vin Model X, built in October. In my recollection that was the first year they did that. Previously, the switchover on the VIN was Jan 1.

This would be nice...seems like my MS Plaid will indeed be an Oct, 2021 build, so I'll see if my VIN has an M or an N...hoping for the N for model year 2022 then if this is the case; it's the least these bastards can do for me after 8 months of waiting and dicking me around week after week, month after month, lol. :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
EOQ shenanigans.

Got a VIN this morning and at 8:07 am today got a text asking me to pick a delivery date. Did a quick peek and the first available time is 10 am Monday. I can't do Monday but probably could do Tuesday depending on work which I can confirm Monday morning.

I get a follow up text from Tesla at 12:20 pm today asking me to set an appointment "as soon as possible" or they "may need to RELEASE THIS VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER WAITING CUSTOMER". I only got the first text a few hours ago and they are ready to release the car to someone else????

WTF!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How much time do I have before they release the car I am now so excited to get? Has anyone else experienced this? Will they at least give me until mid day tomorrow or will EOQ cause TESLA to move off of me sometime this afternoon.

EOQ shenanigans.

Got a VIN this morning and at 8:07 am today got a text asking me to pick a delivery date. Did a quick peek and the first available time is 10 am Monday. I can't do Monday but probably could do Tuesday depending on work which I can confirm Monday morning.

I get a follow up text from Tesla at 12:20 pm today asking me to set an appointment "as soon as possible" or they "may need to RELEASE THIS VEHICLE FOR ANOTHER WAITING CUSTOMER". I only got the first text a few hours ago and they are ready to release the car to someone else????

How much time do I have before they release the car I am now so excited to get? Has anyone else experienced this? Will they at least give me until mid day tomorrow or will EOQ cause TESLA to move off of me sometime this afternoon.
Did you try to set an appointment for Tuesday?

A couple of questions, Mr. Plaid Channel:

1.) If the unsprung weight savings of say 10lb. per corner should theoretically make a significant difference, then why haven't we actually seen documented results of significant differences in 1/4 mi. times for MS Plaids with much lighter weight wheels?
because there’s enough torque available to reach the traction limit of the tires which negates any benefit from less rotational inertia.

EOQ shenanigans.

I would schedule something tentatively, then change it later if need be. Can I ask what the first 4 of the last 8 characters of the VIN are?

I just got a VIN 5YJSA1E62MF4475** and EDD 9-28 to 30. Two problems one is the final price for FSD is $10,000, not $8,000 when ordered last September (Plaid+}. Second I am on vacation till 10-2 925 miles from home hoping to see the Carlsbad Caverns. I have not been contacted yet for actual delivery and I suspect Tesla wants the delivery this quarter. Since there is no reply button who do I contact and when for the $2,000? Plus I want to pay with cashier's check but that option is not shown. Red,white,cf,19".

Exactly. That's why the biggest gains thus far have been with weight reduction. Then there is less mass to move.
Okay, but we're talking "weight reduction" -- 40lb. unsprung weight reduction, 10lb. at each corner and no significant difference. I guess the weight reduction would need to be at least 100lb. maybe for a significant performance improvement then huh?

Okay, but we're talking "weight reduction" -- 40lb. unsprung weight reduction, 10lb. at each corner and no significant difference. I guess the weight reduction would need to be at least 100lb. maybe for a significant performance improvement then huh?
Yes. Dragtimes got 1.96 seconds to 60 with his setup, and I think that's about where those wheel improvements may end. Maybe a couple tenths faster with 18" wheels and drag slicks.

Yes. Dragtimes got 1.96 seconds to 60 with his setup, and I think that's about where those wheel improvements may end. Maybe a couple tenths faster with 18" wheels and drag slicks.
I guess I just don't see a couple hundredths of a sec as a "significant" increase in performance. Plus we have not seen any real significant increase in performance down the 1/4 mi. either. I would say a few tenths of a sec. down the 1/4 mi would be "significant." Haven't heard back from Mr. Plaid Channel, so perhaps he's currently out beating on his car down the 1/4 mi. again, lol? Anyhow, let's see if he chimes in to answer my previous questions .

I would schedule something tentatively, then change it later if need be. Can I ask what the first 4 of the last 8 characters of the VIN are?
That's what I did. I picked a time Wednesday which gives me 2 work days to clear my schedule. Do they take cashiers checks? Only option is to give them my banking info and since I have had the misfortune of having my account hacked already when someone hacked into a mortgage broker's system (my account was emptied and they tried to tap the equity line on my house), I prefer the cashiers check method.

I thought I would let this car go and get an October car but then thought how crappy I would feel if my October car turned into a December car and my only recourse would be complaining to all of you.

First 4 of the last 8 characters? Do you know what the VIN means. MF44. Can you tell whether that is a recent build?

Correct. And confirmed with SA on the phone.

See here: VIN Decoder – TeslaTap and copied below.

PositionDescriptionValue
1-3Manufacturer5YJ = Tesla, Inc.
4MakeS = Model S
5Body TypeA = 5 Door Hatchback LHD (Left-Hand Drive)
6Restraint System7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
7Battery TypeE = Lithium-Ion Battery - Electric
8Motor/Drive Unit2 = Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
9Check Character2
10Model YearL = 2020
11Location of ManufactureF = Fremont, CA, USA
12Serial #, 100,000s digit3
13-17Serial Number Digits44251

In November 2019 I took delivery of a 2020 vin Model X, built in October. In my recollection that was the first year they did that. Previously, the switchover on the VIN was Jan 1.

Correct. Also confirmed with SA on the phone. She wasn't sure when/if that would happen again this year but 'felt' this was the norm going forward (October switch over). Take that for what it may be worth. :)

I just got a VIN 5YJSA1E62MF4475** and EDD 9-28 to 30. Two problems one is the final price for FSD is $10,000, not $8,000 when ordered last September (Plaid+}. Second I am on vacation till 10-2 925 miles from home hoping to see the Carlsbad Caverns. I have not been contacted yet for actual delivery and I suspect Tesla wants the delivery this quarter. Since there is no reply button who do I contact and when for the $2,000? Plus I want to pay with cashier's check but that option is not shown. Red,white,cf,19".
They will adjust the $2k as 'Referral Rebate' or something to that affect as reported by those who were in a similar situation. I expect the same for mine and have their commitment in writing that it will get discounted at time of purchase.

Last edited: