Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SunTek Reaction has 'built-in' ceramic So the gloss should be same as paint with ceramic. Longevity is greater (no need for re-coats) and warranty is 12 years. You want zero difference in gloss between PPF that has no ceramic and non PPF. That would be the point, no?

Gloss:

No ceramic on paint=Non-ceramic PPF
Ceramic on paint=Non-ceramic PPF + ceramic coat on film
Ceramic on paint=Ceramic PPF

Protection:

No PPF<Any PPF
No PPF + Ceramic<Any PPF with or without ceramic coat on film

I've used SunTek since 2002. Multiple cars. Quality and durability improves every year or so. For any imperfections I pour hot water on it and it basically self heals. To an extent.

Just be aware that matte on MSM is very subtle. That's why I'm going with Reaction vs Ultra Defense Matte. That and the ceramic 'built-in'. :)

Im going to go on record as saying that someone who has had experience with all 3 combos of ceramic vs PPF vs freshly waxed paint, that any gloss differences between the three are not noticeable to (at least) 99.9% of the population. Maybe with a gloss meter and microscope, but not to the naked eye.

I was simply pointing out that the posted pics of cars that have just had PPF installed, look the same gloss wise as freshly washed cars coming just off the lot with no PPF.

And Im not discounting the protective qualities of PPF. Just dispelling any potential myth that somehow the car is glossier with PPF.

And to me/my experience, nothing is glossier than a freshly washed/waxed surface. So my habit is when I take about 15 mins every other weak to apply a quick spray of Hybrid ceramic spray onto the car and wipe off. Beads are small/tight and hydrophobicity is at its max. So for me, expensive ceramic coatings (I thought the full ceramic fad was since replaced by Graphene?) arent a necessity as I dont need the "lasts years with just one coat of ceramic" aspect.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the subtle comment? Every picture I've seen of the gloss vs matte MSM are night and day differences.
The matte PPF is not as obvious on MSM (silver metallic) as it is on black. That's what two installers told me and I doubted until I saw it myself. This concluded by putting a piece of Reaction (gloss) and Ulta Defense Matte side by side on a silver vehicle. Maybe the differences are more notable on other brands, but not so much SunTech.

Took delivery today and the tires were Continental ProContact RX Ti. I believe they were all-seasons.

Overall fit and finish were ok.

Mine was missing the trunk privacy screen and both covers.

There were some items that needed to be addressed but not enough to refuse delivery. Best part was trademark Tesla smile when accelerating. Otherworldly...even for a LR.

Im going to go on record as saying that someone who has had experience with all 3 combos of ceramic vs PPF vs freshly waxed paint, that any gloss differences between the three are not noticeable to (at least) 99.9% of the population. Maybe with a gloss meter and microscope, but not to the naked eye.

I was simply pointing out that the posted pics of cars that have just had PPF installed, look the same gloss wise as freshly washed cars coming just off the lot with no PPF.

And Im not discounting the protective qualities of PPF. Just dispelling any potential myth that somehow the car is glossier with PPF.

And to me/my experience, nothing is glossier than a freshly washed/waxed surface. So my habit is when I take about 15 mins every other weak to apply a quick spray of Hybrid ceramic spray onto the car and wipe off. Beads are small/tight and hydrophobicity is at its max. So for me, expensive ceramic coatings (I thought the full ceramic fad was since replaced by Graphene?) arent a necessity.
I in no way said that the gloss of one was more than that of the other, hence the = signs. :)

Not a big follower of fads. Just what works for me either based on direct experience or observation and is, of course, within my budget.

Not sure we are disagreeing in any large degree so I'll leave it at that.

The matte PPF is not as obvious on MSM (silver metallic) as it is on black. That's what two installers told me and I doubted until I saw it myself. This concluded by putting a piece of Reaction (gloss) and Ulta Defense Matte side by side on a silver vehicle. Maybe the differences are more notable on other brands, but not so much SunTech.

Ah ok, @MarcG posted his with XPEL Stealth matte and I thought it looked VERY different based on the pictures. Does the Suntek not look like this?

I took delivery of my Plaid last Friday and dropped it off this Monday morning at Mr. Tint in San Jose (thanks again @OnTheSnap for the recommendation!)

In just 4 full days of work, they installed XPEL Ultimate Plus Stealth PPF on the whole car, 35% XPEL XR+ tint on the side windows, and 70% XPEL XR+ tint on the windshield.

Total package was $6695, which is a very decent price for the Bay Area.

And here are the results! I really like how the matte gray and gloss black of the 19” aero covers are reflected in the now-matte paint and shiny “chrome delete”:

View attachment 704855
View attachment 704853
View attachment 704850
View attachment 704847
View attachment 704848
View attachment 704849
View attachment 704851
View attachment 704852
View attachment 704854

Ah ok, @MarcG posted his with XPEL Stealth matte and I thought it looked VERY different based on the pictures. Does the Suntek not look like this?
That is sweet. And I was hoping that was what SunTek Ultra Defense Matte would look like, but I don't believe it does based on the sample I saw. That's why I switched to the Reaction as first choice. For now. I'm very happy with SunTek so that will probably end up being the route I take.

Gave the car its first wash after traveling across the country:

Attachments

• 95A772F7-578B-4510-8977-9B45716093A7.jpeg
    95A772F7-578B-4510-8977-9B45716093A7.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 83
Ok
It's official.
I've found something I do not like about the new Plaid.
I am certain this is the car's fault.
I've talked to more cops in the last three months than the three proceeding years :(
Hope your talks are just nice conversations w/ law enforcement (asking you about your new MS Plaid) after parking around town and not while pulled over on the side of the FL TP or I95 with cars whizzing by at 70mph? "Yes, Officer. Sorry. What did I do now?" :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been covered in detail already but I can’t find it. Sales advisor gave me the same spiel I heard somewhere earlier in this forum - the 19s that come with the car are not summers nor all seasons and couldn’t explain it any more than that. So what the heck does that mean? I’ve always thought there were Summer, Winter, and A/S tires and these don’t seem to fit into one of those 3 simple buckets!? Bottom line - are they measurably worse in the snow than other A/S tires?