Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of the gloss black looks similar? Black unfortunately comes in several shades. If I were to get these wheels, I'm leaning in this direction, if their gloss black matches the highlights on the car.
I'm surprised that Tesla doesn't offer the "Vanta-Black" ext paint as a $5k add'l option. That's probably the only black I would consider for a car, just because it's so unique.

Thought I would update whoever is following what has happened to my car:

I spoke with Tesla about the additional damage to the trunk lid. Tesla said they can replace the bumpers, but the lid is beyond their capabilities, and referred me to a collision center.

I went to the collision center, and upon closer inspection, we realized the lid wasn't just dented at the bottom center. The trunk lid no longer aligns with the right rear fender and "jumps" on the right side when it auto closes. The owner of the shop said based on that, I am looking at an estimate of around$5-7K to rebuild the lid.

I returned to Tesla to get more guidance. They offered to sell the bumper, pre-painted, directly to me. This way I can have the shop working on the lid install the bumper without having to paint it (Tesla policy is only a SC can order and install pre-painted body panels).

So now I am waiting on the collision center to get back to me with a quote on the trunk lid and bumper installation. I then have to approach the man who hit me with the cost of the bumpers, the repair and installation estimate from the shop, and the cost of reapplying ceramic coating to the new surfaces.

One of the most surreal things to happen to me was at the Tesla SC. I had been talking to Brent for several days by phone before showing up in person. When he saw me he said "I really want to give you a hug right now, because I can see it in your eyes how much this is weighing on you."

I still have not spoken to the person who did this since it happened. I'm not looking forward to telling someone who initially said "You can buff that out", that this is going to cost around $8k.
please tell me you got his license and insurance. all the crap you talk here and you haven't reported it to your insurance? always always always report any accident to your insurance. this is what they're there for. you wouldn't even be getting quotes right now, insurance would, and would be covering everything without a deductible because it's not your fault. idk why you're still posting here and not calling your insurance company.

Thought I would update whoever is following what has happened to my car:

I spoke with Tesla about the additional damage to the trunk lid. Tesla said they can replace the bumpers, but the lid is beyond their capabilities, and referred me to a collision center.

I went to the collision center, and upon closer inspection, we realized the lid wasn't just dented at the bottom center. The trunk lid no longer aligns with the right rear fender and "jumps" on the right side when it auto closes. The owner of the shop said based on that, I am looking at an estimate of around$5-7K to rebuild the lid.

I returned to Tesla to get more guidance. They offered to sell the bumper, pre-painted, directly to me. This way I can have the shop working on the lid install the bumper without having to paint it (Tesla policy is only a SC can order and install pre-painted body panels).

So now I am waiting on the collision center to get back to me with a quote on the trunk lid and bumper installation. I then have to approach the man who hit me with the cost of the bumpers, the repair and installation estimate from the shop, and the cost of reapplying ceramic coating to the new surfaces.

One of the most surreal things to happen to me was at the Tesla SC. I had been talking to Brent for several days by phone before showing up in person. When he saw me he said "I really want to give you a hug right now, because I can see it in your eyes how much this is weighing on you."

I still have not spoken to the person who did this since it happened. I'm not looking forward to telling someone who initially said "You can buff that out", that this is going to cost around $8k.
I had a similar situation with my Model S (pre refresh 2019) fortunately it was only bumper cover. Service center did replacement with new painted cover for 1400. Best bet is to see if they can get you a new trunk lid painted as well. then no color match problems. and you may convince them to install all that way. DO NOT GO FOR RESHAPED TRUNK LID IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. Also, if you friend hesitates on paying, just put it through your insurance and let them pay and handle it. you have the dash cam to prove it.

That’s my guess or it’s rubbing against something when opened.
The pictures don't capture it perfectly, but the jagged paint bubbles in the one line up perfectly with the scraped paint in the other. So every time I open the driver's door, the paint scratches and I damage my car... This definitely feels like a piss poor Quality Control issue from Tesla and I'll be pretty upset if they try to make a claim that it isn't covered under the warranty.

Is it just me, or does it seem there's a lack of people reporting new VINs lately, not counting the EOQ quick deliveries? Except for @sflgator, of course. 😬
So, yeah, now they're telling me "mid-Oct - mid-Nov." Gee, where/when have I heard that one before? 🤔 :rolleyes: It could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushed out further. Still not understanding why, since we're hearing about more white on white/cf MS Plaids getting VINs and being delivered? Whatever. Tesla just blew out quarterly sales numbers (which of course didn't include so many of our cars we ordered many months ago but anyhow), blah blah blah...hope the stock goes up 50+ pts on Monday...but I doubt it. The cars are amazing, but the company is soooooooo f'ed up! 🤬😜

FWIW, it seems like most ppl that have been on this TMC thread for several months are now gone, enjoying their new MS Plaids/LRs after taking delivery, lol. So, as you know, there are a few of us still here...waiting patiently for our cars..."hello, Tesla...did you hear that?" ....crickets...crickets... :p

Last edited:
I took better pictures. It's pretty clear looking at the scratch patterns where the scratches are coming from. Also the zoomed out picture shows how visible the damage is. It's all I can see now when I walk up to the car!
20211003_162734.jpg
20211003_162702.jpg
20211003_162755.jpg

I'm pretty upset about it but we'll see how the service appointment goes before I fully blow up. I did another walk thru and it's only on the driver's side door. Most of the forum is taking delivery over the next few months. Add this to the list of things to look out for!
deep breath. easily addressed but likely with a body shop visit

View attachment 717442View attachment 717443
Noticed some scratching on my driver's side door this morning and after looking a little closer noticed that there are jagged paint bubbles that scratch my door when I open it. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? I already have a service appointment for a different issue but this just feels like lazy quality control.
Yes I have something similar although not nearly as bad — really just a little paint chip in the lower bottom. But I also noticed that the bolts to adjust the driver door had been adjusted and so it looked like someone noticed that the door wasn’t quite aligned properly, and so they adjusted it, but they didn’t notice the damage caused by the misaligned door before making the adjustment.

I don’t have the paint bubbles on the adjacent panel though if that alone is what was causing your problem.

So, yeah, now they're telling me "mid-Oct - mid-Nov." Gee, where/when have I heard that one before? 🤔 :rolleyes: It could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushed out further. Still not understanding why, since we're hearing about more white on white/cf MS Plaids getting VINs and being delivered? Whatever. Tesla just blew out quarterly sales numbers (which of course didn't include so many of our cars we ordered many months ago but anyhow), blah blah blah...hope the stock goes up 50+ pts on Monday...but I doubt it. The cars are amazing, but the company is soooooooo f'ed up! 🤬😜

FWIW, it seems like most ppl that have been on this TMC thread for several months are now gone, enjoying their new MS Plaids/LRs after taking delivery, lol. So, as you know, there are a few of us still here...waiting patiently for our cars..."hello, Tesla...did you hear that?" ....crickets...crickets... :p

🙋‍♂️

I’m still here! Hang in there buddy. The wait is well worth it. I picked up my Plaid then left town for five days. I haven’t had much time to enjoy it, but I keep looking at the pic I took of it before I left town. So sad. Like a lost dog or something. My wife’s gonna’ be pissed when I get home and run straight into the garage and hug my car.

It is kinda’ sad to see less and less people on this thread as they finally get their deliveries and move on. Oh well. It was inevitable, I suppose. Until the next refresh comes out then. That’ll fire this thread right back up.

It is kinda’ sad to see less and less people on this thread as they finally get their deliveries and move on. Oh well. It was inevitable, I suppose. Until the next refresh comes out then. That’ll fire this thread right back up.
Hell yeah man! When they drop the 4680s in or go quad motor, this will light up again! Hell even when they announce performance upgrades or new HW, that will fire it back up for a while! :)

This refresh doubled the size of this thread, and it wasn't even a full redesign! Wait until the all-new S arrives!

But really, it seems like there's a little pause in the VIN assignments. Must be the new head lights, tail lights, and better brakes with red calipers for the '22 models. 😏

He was in an SUV that sat higher than my MS. So even though he was only two feet away, his 5000 lb car was stopped by my car. He never hit the brake. So the trunk and rear bumper absorbed the full weight of his vehicle.

Two different body shops said bumper replacement was the cheapest and best solution. That cost would only have been around $2300. The trunk lid adds a whole new level of labor costs. I most likely have to either buy the shell of trunk lid, and have the body shop transfer everything to the new shell, or the body shop has to figure out how to reshape the trunk to make it fit properly. Either way it is very labor intensive at $125 an hour.
Man this breaks my heart. Remember it's not just the 8k. It's the Depreciated Assets you'll take a hit on too.

Easy. Kinematics of an offset hinge line.

We should not have to discuss this. 10 years of building the same car, should be QA in place to prevent this kind of problem.
What they said. If I open the door slowly, systematically, and incredibly carefully all while watching the gap, they never connect. But if I open the door like a normal person normally opens a car door, or similarly close it (which requires some force to latch), the difference in motion causes that gap to close significantly.

Granted I'm not a mechanic and am hardly a "car guy," but I have eyes and can see direct marks associated with elevated paint bubbles that indicate a clear correlation.