Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, this car purchase is starting to get to me. I just so badly want to call my service center and yell profanities and tell them to take their car and shove it. They finally returned my call/email after two days. The reason I can't pick up is lack of keys. I mean, they have had the car for a full week and it took a week to ship it. Did no one think in those two weeks that it might need keys? They moved my date to 10/30/21 which is exactly one week from my previous delivery date. Sound familiar? Yep, it's the same one week my delivery window moved the last 15 (not exaggerating) times. My SA at least confirmed they have no idea when the keys are coming and it's just a place holder. I want Audi, BMW, and Mercedes to prioritize acceleration like Tesla so I don't ever have to deal with Tesla again.

To add insult to injury, they can't recommend a winter tire setup, they don't sell loose 19" rims yet, and they have not bothered to register the VIN's in Canada yet so it is a nightmare getting insurance quotes. No joke, I have spent more than 12 hours on hold with insurance companies this week because online quote tools don't have the model or VIN loaded! I did end up getting insurance, so I called today to move the start date and they told me they made a mistake on the price and added $200 to the premium! AHHH!

If this car sucks after all of this I will just curl up in a ball and suck my thumb lol

Man, this car purchase is starting to get to me. I just so badly want to call my service center and yell profanities and tell them to take their car and shove it. They finally returned my call/email after two days. The reason I can't pick up is lack of keys. I mean, they have had the car for a full week and it took a week to ship it. Did no one think in those two weeks that it might need keys? They moved my date to 10/30/21 which is exactly one week from my previous delivery date. Sound familiar? Yep, it's the same one week my delivery window moved the last 15 (not exaggerating) times. My SA at least confirmed they have no idea when the keys are coming and it's just a place holder. I want Audi, BMW, and Mercedes to prioritize acceleration like Tesla so I don't ever have to deal with Tesla again.

To add insult to injury, they can't recommend a winter tire setup, they don't sell loose 19" rims yet, and they have not bothered to register the VIN's in Canada yet so it is a nightmare getting insurance quotes. No joke, I have spent more than 12 hours on hold with insurance companies this week because online quote tools don't have the model or VIN loaded! I did end up getting insurance, so I called today to move the start date and they told me they made a mistake on the price and added $200 to the premium! AHHH!

If this car sucks after all of this I will just curl up in a ball and suck my thumb lol
Ask to pick it up with the key card and phone Key? If I recall, several people took delivery in the states without keys (among other things). I think I saw somewhere that Canada does not allow deliveries without EVERYTHING? Both are at fault here, but if a vendor has a work around (phone key), Canada should allow them to release the vehicle.

Man, this car purchase is starting to get to me. I just so badly want to call my service center and yell profanities and tell them to take their car and shove it. They finally returned my call/email after two days. The reason I can't pick up is lack of keys. I mean, they have had the car for a full week and it took a week to ship it. Did no one think in those two weeks that it might need keys? They moved my date to 10/30/21 which is exactly one week from my previous delivery date. Sound familiar? Yep, it's the same one week my delivery window moved the last 15 (not exaggerating) times. My SA at least confirmed they have no idea when the keys are coming and it's just a place holder. I want Audi, BMW, and Mercedes to prioritize acceleration like Tesla so I don't ever have to deal with Tesla ever again.

It probably will be amazing, which is why there is such strong demand.

The initial offerings, like EQS, have failed to impress at least looking at the specs.

You will certainly get your keys before the other OEMs make a better car.

Consider not taking it out on the SA. They already have a thankless job, and the more that leave, the worse it is for all of us...

My insurance couldn’t find the VIN either. They used the Performance modelS and the price of the Plaid for the quote. 🤷‍♂️

I’m at 1475$/yr.

Ask to pick it up with the key card and phone Key? If I recall, several people took delivery in the states without keys (among other things). I think I saw somewhere that Canada does not allow deliveries without EVERYTHING? Both are at fault here, but if a vendor has a work around (phone key), Canada should allow them to release the vehicle.

I tried that one. They said your phone could not be used unless it was paired to a key first. Sounds like bullshit but what do I know?

I'm not taking the delays out on my SA but man, they response speed and lack of information when I do get a response is insane. I asked about winter tires. They sent me some sizes which seemed off. When I clarified they said those were the summer size. I sent them the page from the manual saying they were crazy and those were not the summer size. They said: "Huh, yeah you're right. We will update our system." Then I said but what winter tires are recommended and they said "sorry, no idea". Who sells a car in late October in Canada and can't tell you what size of winter tire to buy? They don't make a set of winter tires in the summer tire size after all.

At least I can vent with you guys! This better make my old RS7 look like a piece of crap or I am gonna be pissed I just didn't get a new one of those lol

My insurance couldn’t find the VIN either. They used the Performance modelS and the price of the Plaid for the quote. 🤷‍♂️

I’m at 1475$/yr.
They did the same for me when quoting but when it comes to actually issuing a policy they send it for approval. I'm at 1,743/yr with 5,00km annual driving and 5km to work and back. No accidents, claims, or tickets, and 24 years of driving. That is with TD; who did you get a quote from?

They said your phone could not be used unless it was paired to a key first. Sounds like bullshit but what do I know?
What about the keycard? Are they missing both sets? Totally valid that you’d have to have the preprogrammed key to pair your phone. Prevents anyone from pairing their phone randomly.

Definitely feel for you though. Last gut punch before delivery.

I ordered a Model S in April. Delivery date was originally July, then got pushed back to September. In September they actually assigned me a VIN, and then at the end of September the VIN disappeared and the date got moved to October. Got another (different) VIN assigned early October, and now my delivery date is scheduled for later today. I live pretty close to the factory.

Hope this helps someone else who is wondering when theirs might arrive!

What about the keycard? Are they missing both sets? Totally valid that you’d have to have the preprogrammed key to pair your phone. Prevents anyone from pairing their phone randomly.

Definitely feel for you though. Last gut punch before delivery.
They said no on they keycard too. I assume the key is the same on the 2020 S as well. Could they not just pair it with any key. Pair my phone and then re-pair the key? I suppose that gets sketchy. I'd hate to get it stuck in a parking lot if the phone did not work. I'm mostly angry that with two week+ to sort this out, they don't even have a date when they are expecting the keys so they just moved it out an arbitrary week. I'm so tired of the one week moves based on them having no information I could vomit.

I love the Tesla idea, the zero emission, charging at home, over the air software updates, new tech that other companies are too chicken to try, odd fart sounds, video games built into the car, super fast acceleration named after ridiculous movies, the car line-up of S3XY, and so much more. I'm dropping 180k on faith on a car I have never seen in person, with nothing but negative comments on quality, on a brand I have never even sat in. It feels like I am risking so much and just get punched in the face over and over for my trouble.

I ordered a Model S in April. Delivery date was originally July, then got pushed back to September. In September they actually assigned me a VIN, and then at the end of September the VIN disappeared and the date got moved to October. Got another (different) VIN assigned early October, and now my delivery date is scheduled for later today. I live pretty close to the factory.

Hope this helps someone else who is wondering when theirs might arrive!

Uhh, ok. Well I just got an email saying it was delivered, and I go outside and it's parked on the road. WTF? Do they not even knock? They just leave it at your door and drive off? What if there are issues and you don't want to accept delivery?

Lol holy *sugar*, what? They just dropped the thing off on the street and bounced?

What is your first 3 VIN numbers starting with 4xx?

Lol holy *sugar*, what? They just dropped the thing off on the street and bounced?

What is your first 3 VIN numbers starting with 4xx?
Sorry I'm new to this, what do you need the first 3 VIN numbers for? I'm privacy paranoid, but if there's a valid reason and this information isn't sensitive, then sure.

Anyway I called my local Tesla dealer and they said "yea this is normal, don't worry about it. If there are quality issues take photos and report within 24 hours"

They said no on they keycard too. I assume the key is the same on the 2020 S as well. Could they not just pair it with any key. Pair my phone and then re-pair the key? I suppose that gets sketchy. I'd hate to get it stuck in a parking lot if the phone did not work. I'm mostly angry that with two week+ to sort this out, they don't even have a date when they are expecting the keys so they just moved it out an arbitrary week. I'm so tired of the one week moves based on them having no information I could vomit.

I love the Tesla idea, the zero emission, charging at home, over the air software updates, new tech that other companies are too chicken to try, odd fart sounds, video games built into the car, super fast acceleration named after ridiculous movies, the car line-up of S3XY, and so much more. I'm dropping 180k on faith on a car I have never seen in person, with nothing but negative comments on quality, on a brand I have never even sat in. It feels like I am risking so much and just get punched in the face over and over for my trouble.
FWIW, my quality has been good. And the performance is absolutely incredible.

Sorry I'm new to this, what do you need the first 3 VIN numbers for? I'm privacy paranoid, but if there's a valid reason and this information isn't sensitive, then sure.

Anyway I called my local Tesla dealer and they said "yea this is normal, don't worry about it. If there are quality issues take photos and report within 24 hours"

We are trying to figure out of they are delivering old cars that have been sitting in a lot due to a variety of unconfirmed issues.

So after the "MF" all I'm asking is are the first two numbers higher or lower than say "45x"