Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I picked up my car in early September, it was 4-5 weeks later when I got the floor mats, trunk covers and license plate frame. If I had to wait for that, I'd have gone batty.

Side note, I always liked the key fob with my past Ses, even bought a nice looking holster for it on Amazon prior to taking delivery. When I got the car, I paired my phone just to try it out... I haven't even removed the battery protectors from the fobs to use them yet - the phone app just works!
Phone key is one of the bigger features I am looking forward to. Going minimalist and only carry a few credit cards via a MagSafe wallet. I will put a keycard in there as a backup, but looking forward to not carrying a fob or anything.

Phone key is one of the bigger features I am looking forward to. Going minimalist and only carry a few credit cards via a MagSafe wallet. I will put a keycard in there as a backup, but looking forward to not carrying a fob or anything.
Just get Apple pay and some smart locks on the house and you can put your whole life on the phone :)

On a side note of caution, if you are going to be anywhere that your phone will not be in your immediate possession, you might want to activate the PIN access protection for driving the Tesla. I was thinking about this last night during a volleyball match. My phone was sitting on the bench at a public gymnasium. The thought of someone walking off with my phone and my car kind of made me a little uneasy.

Just get Apple pay and some smart locks on the house and you can put your whole life on the phone :)

On a side note of caution, if you are going to be anywhere that your phone will not be in your immediate possession, you might want to activate the PIN access protection for driving the Tesla. I was thinking about this last night during a volleyball match. My phone was sitting on the bench at a public gymnasium. The thought of someone walking off with my phone and my car kind of made me a little uneasy.
Already got my Apple Pay on both the Apple Card and regular credit cards. Need my ID to be digital and I think we are headed that way. Though Texas will take their sweet time I am sure.

The PIN is a great idea I had not thought of. Will probably set it. I am most interested in also if the phone key randomly triggers my car from above my garage (three story house, living room above the garage). It is roughly six to eight feet above the car. I think it will, so I might be testing some ways to fix that.

Question for anyone. My understand of the phone key is that the Tesla app has to be running in the foreground or a background. Is that the case? Does anyone know if you force quit the Tesla app, does the phone key still work?

Already got my Apple Pay on both the Apple Card and regular credit cards. Need my ID to be digital and I think we are headed that way. Though Texas will take their sweet time I am sure.

The PIN is a great idea I had not thought of. Will probably set it. I am most interested in also if the phone key randomly triggers my car from above my garage (three story house, living room above the garage). It is roughly six to eight feet above the car. I think it will, so I might be testing some ways to fix that.

Question for anyone. My understand of the phone key is that the Tesla app has to be running in the foreground or a background. Is that the case? Does anyone know if you force quit the Tesla app, does the phone key still work?
On your last question, the phone key works about 90% of the time (subjective estimate) even when the app is closed. Occasionally, I’ll get a message phone key not found (or similar) and I’ll just put the phone on the charger without opening app and key is then recognized.

Edit: just remembered I keep my card in my wallet and always have my wallet, so can’t say phone app info above is 100% definitive.

On your last question, the phone key works about 90% of the time (subjective estimate) even when the app is closed. Occasionally, I’ll get a message phone key not found (or similar) and I’ll just put the phone on the charger without opening app and key is then recognized.

Edit: just remembered I keep my card in my wallet and always have my wallet, so can’t say phone app info above is 100% definitive.
Appreciate that. It will take some testing with this house to figure it out. Regardless, looking forward to the feature.

On Android the app works 99.9% of the time.

On my Model 3 and iPhone 11 Pro then 13 Pro in the past year I have not had the car fail to unlock once. You don't need the app open or in the background. Back in the early days it was less reliable but we're still talking 99% of the time it worked fine.

Side note, I always liked the key fob with my past Ses, even bought a nice looking holster for it on Amazon prior to taking delivery. When I got the car, I paired my phone just to try it out... I haven't even removed the battery protectors from the fobs to use them yet - the phone app just works!
Lol exactly the same with me.

My man cave is above the garage and I haven't had an issue with phone activation, but my garage has a 16 foot ceiling so...

Reactions: cwanja
The app installs Bluetooth connections to the locks that don’t require the app to be open. They recommend toggling Bluetooth if you’re having an issue instead of force quitting the app.
Only issue with this is when I disable Bluetooth to prevent the phone key from false trigging when in my living room would be that my other Bluetooth devices stop working.

I do have a highly automated home. Lutron lighting, level door locks, chamberlain garage, etc. it is great once it’s configured.

I guess it’s possible that a thief could target a lonely phone and then walk the parking lot waiting for a door handle to present…. but I place that low on probability. Does this happen in Rhode Island a lot?

You just had to say volleyball…. Now we potentially have some common ground. Not seeing Rhode Island as a hub for that either though, 😂. I played collegiate club in the 90’s, my daughter’s beginning club play locally.

Agreed, it can be a real pain in the neck to set the phone up again just the way you like it!

okay, done being a wise guy. When I lived in Brooklyn, I had a double set of features put onto my beloved Mustang - a keypad that killed the ignition coil (so it would turn over, but not start) and a medeco or similar lock - one press - locked the hood. pressed all the way in, complete starter disable. I rarely did that, was a pain in the neck, so just locked hood.
the keypad was a breeze - i could put it into valet mode, or just hit the 4 numbers and unlock the starter. it took like 2 seconds and was a second nature habit after a few days. i think it did show discoloration where i hit the keys (my prior home door lock had the feature where you had to press 2 random keys it would light up to help you keep the keypad uniform)
i'm not sure how annoying or simple the pin unlock is, i saw it on my buddy's when i played with his car for a minute.
maybe there's an easy way to activate the pin lock, or maybe there's a way to do it or try to remember, when you're in a potential dangerous situation.
i'm also wondering now, if the phone is close enough, can someone else unlock your car?
can you be at a kid's soccer game, etc. and if near the car, someone can get into it? drive away?
suddenly this pin idea is sounding better and better....

okay, done being a wise guy. When I lived in Brooklyn, I had a double set of features put onto my beloved Mustang - a keypad that killed the ignition coil (so it would turn over, but not start) and a medeco or similar lock - one press - locked the hood. pressed all the way in, complete starter disable. I rarely did that, was a pain in the neck, so just locked hood.
the keypad was a breeze - i could put it into valet mode, or just hit the 4 numbers and unlock the starter. it took like 2 seconds and was a second nature habit after a few days. i think it did show discoloration where i hit the keys (my prior home door lock had the feature where you had to press 2 random keys it would light up to help you keep the keypad uniform)
i'm not sure how annoying or simple the pin unlock is, i saw it on my buddy's when i played with his car for a minute.
maybe there's an easy way to activate the pin lock, or maybe there's a way to do it or try to remember, when you're in a potential dangerous situation.
i'm also wondering now, if the phone is close enough, can someone else unlock your car?
can you be at a kid's soccer game, etc. and if near the car, someone can get into it? drive away?
suddenly this pin idea is sounding better and better....
my first car when I was a broke teen had no alarm. I was a GS3 Step 1 in the (expensive) DC metro area. Living on my own right after high school. Couldnt afford an alarm. Did a low budget version of your keypad kill system. I Went to the Brandywine junkyard and grabbed (for free) a rear defroster switch. Since my car (old VW Rabbit) was no frills, it had LOTS of spare spots on the dash where option switches would go. Wired the additional defroster switch to the ignition coil. Unless the defroster switch was pushed in the "on" direction, car would not start. $99 cents for the wire, free switch, and instant effective anti-theft system.
Desperate times, desperate measures.