Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Configuration: MS-LR, Red, 19", black interior.

Ordered: mid-July 21 (after 1st $5k price bump)
Original EDD: Oct 21
Current EDD: Dec 21
Expectations of getting a Tesla for Christmas: moderate to high 🤞
Mine same config orderd mid May, after many changes in EDD, the last one starting tomorrow Nov 4-24.. don't know when the VIN will appear🤞🤞

Have you seen a side view?

But I agree with you, if it is a hit, with chip and battery shortages, will they be able to keep up with demand?

The only reason I can see that they are on the BEV wagon is the tax credit.

Pruis for 44k or Tesla M3 for 34k?
Yeah looks like Rav4 from the side, but not bad IMHO. Tbh I think they are on the BEV wagon only to not look plain stupid. (Too late lol). They could probably care less about a tax credit, as most PHEVs are covered by that bill too.

Oh and yeah definitely M3 lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
[QUOTEQuite slow at 7.7s 0-62 mph in the fastest AWD trim, but hey whatever lol. We'll see what it is priced at. :)

Good to know if I ever see one, that my '95 oil burning Acura with 470k miles can beat it.
HAhaah yep. The ID4 in pretty much all trims will smoke it. I was really hoping for a mid 5s 0-60 to be competitive, but again, Toyota's attention does not really seem to be focused too much on this product.

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Good to know if I ever see one, that my '95 oil burning Acura with 470k miles can beat it.
HAhaah yep. The ID4 in pretty much all trims will smoke it. I was really hoping for a mid 5s 0-60 to be competitive, but again, Toyota's attention does not really seem to be focused on this product.
[/QUOTE]

So here's the thing. All legacy automakers, from the top down to the lowest paid hourly, are entrenched in their legacy. Culturally impossible for them to compete with Tesla.

Maybe Lucid will take some MS share, and Rivian some CT, but only to the extent they can produce to meet demand.

Oh and the ever present Tesla Moat of the SuC network.

For those with MS reservations, I think the price point will ensure deliveries and a quality product before a LR M3 or MY.

HAhaah yep. The ID4 in pretty much all trims will smoke it. I was really hoping for a mid 5s 0-60 to be competitive, but again, Toyota's attention does not really seem to be focused on this product.

Oh for sure. As I've said many times in the past, they're too burrowed into their molds. I don't wanna go trashing the competition, but frankly it's really bad when only select German EVs, the upcoming E-GMP platform cars from Kia/Hyundai/Genesis, and cars from Lucid and Rivian are desirable. Everyone else seems to be picking their noses, and they could ALL do just as well as those others if they just focused. But they won't.

I don't know if I've said this in the past, but it is a very good possibility that these OEMs will once again be overtaken by Lucid and Rivian as they were by Tesla, and be overshadowed for the second and third times in 1-2 decades.

No need for crickets 🦗 tonight, we have Toyota!

BF804529-8134-4AF2-BE18-C8FD5164C59F.png

I think it looks okay and a good first effort, save for the abysmal 0-60. Must have a hamster 🐹 wheel with hamsters 🐹 under the frunk!
Haha agreed! I really like their efficiency. Too often you see something where *certain* car makers have stuffed a 100kWh pack into a car, with horrific efficiency and weight as a result.
You would hope though that after 30 years of doing hybrids, Toyota would know something about efficiency. Part of that efficiency I guess is that they are likely using IPM-SynRMs like Tesla, which are super efficient and offer the benefits of AC induction alongside PM.
Interestingly enough, Toyota actually pioneered the IPM-SynRM, but Tesla's magnets are why they lead today. Really cool stuff.😁👌

Thanks! From eyeballing it I might be able to avoid the extension but I'll look into the beefiest I can find.

Edit: found the same cable in 10 gauge so I'm going with that
Derate by 125% and round up for use more than 3-4 hours. The mobile charger pulls 12amps on a 120v 15A receptacle. Cord needs to be rated to at least 15amps. Shorter extension is better in this case. 12awg is borderline (typically 13-15 amp rating) . 10 awg will do you fine (typically 20-30amp rated). If it is a 120v 20A receptacle the same cord will do fine up to 16A charge setting in your car, but no more. Look at the rating before you use and keep away from combustibles while charging.

Last edited:
Hang on, what do they mean income limit? So if your income is more than that, you don’t qualify for that EV credit? Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous 😡
The logic makes sense though. If you can afford a $100k+ car you probably don’t need help with the purchase. If you do need help then you shouldn’t be paying that much to begin with.

‘‘(D) OTHER.—In the case of any other vehicle, $55,000. Sedans fall under this category.

Revised EV Bill
The whole bill goes against green energy. If they really want to help prevent it then Sedans should get more than a Truck/SUV or at least match it, as Sedans are the most efficient. Totally ridiculous, that Union companies get more. I hope the whole bill gets squashed in the Senate. Let competition drive the prices down, not using taxpayer money to pick and choose.

The logic makes sense though. If you can afford a $100k+ car you probably don’t need help with the purchase. If you do need help then you shouldn’t be paying that much to begin with.
Whereas I agree that you don’t need help if you can afford a $100k car, the concept of the bill isn’t supposed to help you buy a car you’d otherwise not afford, or not want to spend on.

The concept is to incentivize you to purchase an EV as opposed to a non-EV. It’s been marketed as helping people to afford more than they would, which has conflated its original purpose, which in turn has lead to optics requiring that “rich person cars” are excluded. Ironically, those with greater disposable income are more likely to purchase more cars more often, and if the end goal is more EVs on the road, this is counterintuitive to the intended purpose.

But again, politics are mostly about optics, not about the actual cause.