Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm wondering if there's some sort of marketing reason to keep the 2021's going versus the 2022 vins - like "this many thousands refreshes sold" or whatever. Yes, a 2022 would i suppose be considered a refresh, but again, just wondering if there's a reason there have been no S 2022's, or it just didn't switch over yet.
Could it just possibly be that the Plaid (as we know it, 2021) will become very scarce now as Tesla is working on bringing out the Plaid+ in 2022 with the 4068 batteries? Dreams are what makes life tolerable? SUGAR!!! I hope my dreams come true in 2022. Damn! I'm a poet and didn't even know it! Everything I seem to say turns out to be a poem today!

I have an appt for Nov 19th to pick up my car. Anyone know how long the estimated wait is for people who reject a car?

I'm just wondering there are issues do you deal with it and take the car or reject it?
I'm going to give potentially bad advice here... but my delivery process took about 8 minutes total. They brought it to my house, I signed some paperwork, and they left. I didn't ask for a walk thru of the car at all because I trusted if I found any issues they would fix them. After they left, I found a hole in my rear seat upholstery, immediately took a picture, submitted a ticket and it was replaced 2 weeks later when I was finally able to get in to service. Currently I'm sitting in the waiting room at my service center while they replace my yoke but there weren't any issues day of with the yoke to be concerned with. I've had good luck, they haven't questioned the legitimacy of the problems I've found, and I didn't cheat myself out of months of driving this wonderful car over minor fixable issues. If you don't take delivery, someone else might and push you back to a further date with a similarly flawed product.

But then again, I trust humanity and have a loud enough mouth to usually swindle my way into free repairs. Also my service center is pretty great. We will see how long it lasts. As far as taking delivery of a car with issues, if you find issues on delivery with the guy standing right there he can document them, submit the service request and get you an appointment for later. Unless it's something ludicrous like the rear hatch not closing or something I would still drive home in your sweet new vehicle knowing that you have an appointment for repairs a little later on. The car still drove like a beast despite the .5in hole in my rear seat. Frankly, I wasn't sitting back there so I didn't care terribly too much

I ordered a Red/White Plaid back in May. My delivery date was June 20th-30th, then kept getting pushed back a month every month. It’s now showing January 15th to February 15th. How can this be right? I’ve seen people order after me and get their cars. Are they not making red ones or something?
Agree with all those who suggested it'll be coming soon. It has been the trend to see a Jan-Feb date then VIN pretty soon thereafter. Good luck @anthonyj! Do let us know if yours is a NF (2022) VIN.
In that same vein, (not yoke vein), my SA just told me that my MS LR w/ EDD late Nov-Dec will 90% likely be a 2022. He said all cars coming off the line currently are getting a 2022 VIN. Here's hoping!

Agree with all those who suggested it'll be coming soon. It has been the trend to see a Jan-Feb date then VIN pretty soon thereafter. Good luck @anthonyj! Do let us know if yours is a NF (2022) VIN.
In that same vein, (not yoke vein), my SA just told me that my MS LR w/ EDD late Nov-Dec will 90% likely be a 2022. He said all cars coming off the line currently are getting a 2022 VIN. Here's hoping!
Man. It looks I'm getting the last of the '21s next week? Maybe I should wait somehow to get a '22? hmm.

So freaking tired!!!

Tesla SC called to tell me they just received my car but the ABS module is defective and will need two weeks to get a new module. So instead of getting my car next friday or a couple days early, I'm now postponed another 2 weeks.

Worst, they have a car in the lot just like mine with 21s instead of 19s, but they don't want to switch the wheels. They also don't want to take the ABS module from that car to put it on mine.

I feel like a regular car dealer would definitely switch the wheels or the ABS module to have a happy customer. With Tesla's business model, they just don't give a crap. Your car will be ready when it is ready. We're not gonna switch wheels on the car to make you happy.

**** Tesla. **** their awful customer service. **** their awesome cars, I'd buy anything else if anything else was close.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

Last edited:
So freaking tired!!!

Tesla SC called to tell me they just received my car but the ABS module is defective and will need two weeks to get a new module. So instead of getting my car next friday or a couple days early, I'm now postponed another 2 weeks.

Worst, they have a car in the lot just like mine with 21s instead of 19s, but they don't want to switch the wheels. They also don't want to take the ABS module from that car to put it on mine.

I feel like a regular car dealer would definitely switch the wheels or the ABS module to have a happy customer. With Tesla's model, they just don't give a crap. Your car will be ready when it is ready. We're not gonna switch wheels on the car to make you happy.

**** Tesla. **** their awful customer service. **** their awesome cars, I'd buy anything else if anything else was close.

🤬🤬🤬🤬
Going to try and be as gentle as I can here. First off, I totally agree with your frustration and anger. Plus more waiting.

That said. If that (working) car you want parts swapped with is already allocated to someone, you are basically pushing your problem onto that customer. And considering none of these refreshed cars are "inventory", I have a feeling that car is definitely allocated to someone.

So freaking tired!!!

I feel like a regular car dealer would definitely switch the wheels or the ABS module to have a happy customer. With Tesla's model, they just don't give a crap. Your car will be ready when it is ready. We're not gonna switch wheels on the car to make you happy.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

I mean, if they switched the wheels, they'd just make someone else unhappy... They don't have demo cars or unassigned cars, unless someone rejected one.

So freaking tired!!!

🤬🤬🤬🤬
Maybe better idea, just ask to be assigned to a new car. If you are going to have to wait, you can wait a few more weeks and hopefully get a '22!

Going to try and be as gentle as I can here. First off, I totally agree with your frustration and anger. Plus more waiting.

That said. If that (working) car you want parts swapped with is already allocated to someone, you are basically pushing your problem onto that customer. And considering none of these refreshed cars are "inventory", I have a feeling that car is definitely allocated to someone.
You'd be right and I would not want to push my problem on someone else. The SA told me the car is not allocated and that they could draw the papers so I can buy it. Problem is I don't want 21s and I already bought my 19s winter tires.

I bought many cars in my life, I can't think any dealer would refuse to switch wheels to accommodate the sale of a car, let alone a 170k$ one!

You'd be right and I would not want to push my problem on someone else. The SA told me the car is not allocated and that they could draw the papers so I can buy it. Problem is I don't want 21s and I already bought my 19s winter tires.

I bought many cars in my life, I can't think any dealer would refuse to switch wheels to accommodate the sale of a car, let alone a 170k$ one!
Ask for a jack and tools and get to it. Or offer to pay the labor to swap them

Either way, my assumption is that they
1) do not want to swap it because the car sticker would not reflect reality (cannot remember if the sticker reflects wheel choice or not);
2) they do not want to sit on the car waiting for replacement wheels and then be stuck with set of wheels

2 seems less likely, it is a service center so it just goes into inventory.

Maybe better idea, just ask to be assigned to a new car. If you are going to have to wait, you can wait a few more weeks and hopefully get a '22!
If it wasn't for the 20% luxury tax about to hit Canada I think that's what I'd do. No point in getting a Plaid as winter is about to hit and winter tires will be installed almost as soon as I get the car.

Which PPF did you end up choosing?
I just ended up going with the clear. The STEK was too metallic and the Clif Designs is not available in north America. They would have shipped it for me but they only accepted bank transfer and I'm not sending 2k+ to someone I don't know and hoping the product shows up. Also warranty would be a problem if I ever had to sort it; went XPEL. I'll post some pics tonight!

Frustrating - I get it. The Jeep dealer I use will switch out stuff. The Land Rover and Jags I have bought over the years - nope. They will gladly put the new wheels on but I have to buy them - they will not alter a sticker. They do many other things for me but will not alter the stick. This seems to be the autodealer group's policy not JLR.

Hi everyone. Putting this out there for what it is -- one data point from one Tesla employee who we all know have little to no more info than we do. It seemed to confirm my suspicions so I am sharing.

Today I took my Model 3 into the North Houston service center for out-of-warranty service and sort of mentioned in passing that it is annoying to pay for service 9 months after I ordered my Model S and the employee asked "why are you still waiting, we can almost certainly get you in a car with a similar configuration?". I said that would be nice but I am locked in to the $15K lower price and he said "oh yeah, that's why you're not matched yet and no one is offering you an alternate config."

It's really frustrating and my patience is wearing thin. I ordered on 4-Feb with RN 1144 and have a current projected EDD of Dec 16-31. My conclusion is that order date does not matter much, especially if you are ordering a car at the original price. I am glad for all the people who are getting MS LR cars on here with similar configs to mine but it sucks seeing so many newer RNs get cars while I wait as patiently as possible.

Tesla really does like to torture us don't they??? :)

Frustrating - I get it. The Jeep dealer I use will switch out stuff. The Land Rover and Jags I have bought over the years - nope. They will gladly put the new wheels on but I have to buy them - they will not alter a sticker. They do many other things for me but will not alter the stick. This seems to be the autodealer group's policy not JLR.
Thanks for the info! 👍
In my case they could definitely switch out the ABS module on the unsold car. No changes to the sticker. It also probably takes less time to switch this than switching the wheels. I don't know just speculating. But it's an electronic module. Not some mechanical stuff that needs to be taken out.