Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you ****ing kidding me?! There's no active noise cancellation/road cancellation/pain and suffering cancellation in the latest update?

Here's my prediction: Tesla will NEVER release a functional noise cancellation system. It'll work about as good as their auto wipers forever. Trash. ****ing trash.
You have to find a better way to channel your frustration, brah.

Are you ****ing kidding me?! There's no active noise cancellation/road cancellation/pain and suffering cancellation in the latest update?

Here's my prediction: Tesla will NEVER release a functional noise cancellation system. It'll work about as good as their auto wipers forever. Trash. ****ing trash.

I may just be imagining but I believe the autowipers have improved quite a bit since I have taken delivery and had several software updates. Drove in slushy heavy snow/rain and it did a good job adjusting itself. Was actually quite impressed - especially since I thought they were garbage when I first bought the car.

I may just be imagining but I believe the autowipers have improved quite a bit since I have taken delivery and had several software updates. Drove in slushy heavy snow/rain and it did a good job adjusting itself. Was actually quite impressed - especially since I thought they were garbage when I first bought the car.
Ah my friend welcome to the rabbit hole. Over three years of owning a 3, I have most enjoyed heated Reddit discussions between people claiming the most recent update improved the wipers and those swearing it was worse.

All I know is that the wiper blades on the 3 suck so bad it barely matters.

Hey all - it’s my turn for a rant and being frustrated with Tesla. Also, need some advice from all you cool fellow crazies.

Rant: I ordered my Model S LR 21” blue/ cream/ FSD on June 14th. RN 115145xxx. After all the bouncing around my EDD was stable for a few weeks at Nov 11 - Dec 1. Couple of days ago it changed to Nov 25 - Dec 23. I spoke to a SA today and he told me in his system he sees “mid Dec to mid Jan” for me. So freaking frustrating! And I live 30 min from Fremont. I am so done with the wait and feeling like an idiot constantly checking my Tesla Account that I am going to not even look at my account page anymore, let them text me whenever the VIN is assigned and I will take delivery. Meanwhile, I need to decide my second car between a Y and an X. This is where I need some advice…

Advice Needed:

I am a single guy, no spouse/ kids. I was originally wanting the refreshed SLR and an XLR to have a sedan and an SUV combination. XLR is currently expected in April, but who knows it may not come until October 2022. And the SLR is anybody’s guess (as discussed above).

Currently I have only one car BMW x4 M40i.

I have a Model YLR order on hold which, if released, will get me a Model Y within two weeks. So the questions are:

1. Should I go ahead and take delivery of the Model Y and then take delivery of the SLR whenever it arrives (Dec end or Jan for that matter)?
2. I do take road trips with my Partner who lives 2 hours away. He and I enjoy driving down to LA and Palm Springs so my question is: Is the Model YLR a much harsher ride than the Model X? Is it advisable to wait for the XLR? I could theoretically keep YLR for city driving and
3. Rumors I heard about air suspension coming to the Model Y - have you heard that? What’s your guess?

Bottom line is: I can’t decide if I should wait for the S and then the X and stick with that combination (while selling the BMW when the X arrives) or get the Model Y and then the S and sell my BMW and be happy with an S and Y combination.

Additional consideration: my Model Y pricing is from March 2020 so perhaps $7-$8k cheaper.

Any advice would be much appreciated! 🙏🏽
I’m getting a MYLR in a couple weeks. If I like it, I may just cancel the my MS order. I’m also worried about the ride quality of the MY, so I ordered the base wheels. If the MY doesn’t suit my needs, I think it would be easy to re-sell. I think @BruinIvy has good advice.

That is a well made video. But I find it interesting how many, many commentators still do not understand the level of update the new S is. Just because visually it looks the same, and because Tesla does not really inform us of how extensive the changes are, nobody is doing the research of just how different it is.

Suspension, motors, interior, exterior, battery (in some form), and more have all been updated. Because the headlights and taillights are the same, the car gets lumped into a “10 year old sedan” design.

When the 992 911 came out it was seen as an all new 911. But the S is more changed it’s predecessor than the 911 is over it’s, if due only to the carryover of the engines in the 911 from 991.2 to 992.

Journalists should really do things that, eh, journalists do. Like research.
To some degree, that is Tesla's own doing in that there is very little into published about what is under the skin. Other companies produce media kits and data sheets the highlight new capabilities and non-obvious technology. I am looking forward to the Monroe teardown for exactly this reason.

8B1C364D-350D-4D6B-90C6-A59D7909660B.jpeg
Delayed until after Thanksgiving. Anyone else hearing this or is it “ish”.

A bunch of us should take our plaids on this 3 day fancy drive in Northern Cal with Road and Track: Route to Vine — Experiences by Road & Track

Would be good to show other supercar drivers the benefits of the Plaid on this 3 day “rally” from San Fran to Sonoma Raceway. . It’s $7500 but you stay in a nice hotel, get track time and lessons.

Here is one from a couple years ago

Last edited:
To some degree, that is Tesla's own doing in that there is very little into published about what is under the skin. Other companies produce media kits and data sheets the highlight new capabilities and non-obvious technology. I am looking forward to the Monroe teardown for exactly this reason.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. The absence of a media department to answer questions, hold launch events, deliver accurate information, creat press materials, etc only compounds the issue.

However, I do not believe that the lack of easily accessible information abdicates a journalist from delivering accurate information. Journalism is currently about the production of content more than the integrity of the content. In this case it would take, quite literally, a 30 second look under vehicle to see that it is completely different. And I’m quite certain that there is no confusion about the upgraded motors in the Plaid, which would be noteworthy in any ICE vehicle. However, here, it’s hardly worthy of mention.

The level of refresh is not difficult information to obtain. But it requires thinking and not simply having a bias towards video production and clicks. It requires more research than Google. Actually it doesn’t, but giving the benefit of the doubt here, it could take a bit more time to accumulate good information. They simply do not care.

Tesla could control the narrative, no doubt. But journalists should check themselves as well. And if they do not want to do the research and do not want to have a thorough understanding, perfectly fine as well, but the comment of a 10-year old sedan should not be made. It was made only to make the S seem like it‘s accomplishments are somehow easy to acheive, and yet it’s still so much faster. That the car isn’t special or well engineered, it’s just old and taken for granted that it’s faster. As in, of course the EV is going to beat the other cars by over a second, it’s an EV. It’s even an OLD EV.

The more accurate, and no less interesting, comment could have simply been “The Tesla looks like the S always has, but we do not know what lies within”. And then from there go on a rant about how Tesla doesn’t give any info to anyone, ever.

Then I could have saved all of this typing. 😬

I’m getting a MYLR in a couple weeks. If I like it, I may just cancel the my MS order. I’m also worried about the ride quality of the MY, so I ordered the base wheels. If the MY doesn’t suit my needs, I think it would be easy to re-sell. I think @BruinIvy has good advice.
Just my personal observations from test drives earlier in the year of M3LR, M3P and MYP. While MY is probably the best Tesla vehicle balancing cost, utility and resale value, we didn’t like the ride and handling as much as we did M3. Since we don’t need the utility, we opted for M3LR and now M3P given the tighter sports sedan feel. Good luck with your decision! All are fantastic vehicles, but I suspect the MS will blow our socks off just like others have reported. 😉

Just my personal observations from test drives earlier in the year of M3LR, M3P and MYP. While MY is probably the best Tesla vehicle balancing cost, utility and resale value, we didn’t like the ride and handling as much as we did M3. Since we don’t need the utility, we opted for M3LR and now M3P giving the tighter sports sedan feel. Good luck with your decision! All are fantastic vehicles, but I suspect the MS will blow our socks off just like others have reported. 😉

A hitch and cargo carrier on the M3 and MS make up for a lot of the loss of utility over a MY and MX respectively.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. The absence of a media department to answer questions, hold launch events, deliver accurate information, creat press materials, etc only compounds the issue.

However, I do not believe that the lack of easily accessible information abdicates a journalist from delivering accurate information. Journalism is currently about the production of content more than the integrity of the content. In this case it would take, quite literally, a 30 second look under vehicle to see that it is completely different. And I’m quite certain that there is no confusion about the upgraded motors in the Plaid, which would be noteworthy in any ICE vehicle. However, here, it’s hardly worthy of mention.

The level of refresh is not difficult information to obtain. But it requires thinking and not simply having a bias towards video production and clicks. It requires more research than Google. Actually it doesn’t, but giving the benefit of the doubt here, it could take a bit more time to accumulate good information. They simply do not care.

Tesla could control the narrative, no doubt. But journalists should check themselves as well. And if they do not want to do the research and do not want to have a thorough understanding, perfectly fine as well, but the comment of a 10-year old sedan should not be made. It was made only to make the S seem like it‘s accomplishments are somehow easy to acheive, and yet it’s still so much faster. That the car isn’t special or well engineered, it’s just old and taken for granted that it’s faster. As in, of course the EV is going to beat the other cars by over a second, it’s an EV. It’s even an OLD EV.

The more accurate, and no less interesting, comment could have simply been “The Tesla looks like the S always has, but we do not know what lies within”. And then from there go on a rant about how Tesla doesn’t give any info to anyone, ever.

Then I could have saved all of this typing. 😬
Exactly. Beautifully said!
How is it that me and any other EV nerds on here know all of this stuff, when full-fledged journalists who get payed for this don't. I am certain that they don't know about search tool for the EPA docs, and they don't know about the true marvel this car is. Someone online used that EPA database, and viola! "Woah the refresh X is way better." YEAH. That stuff has been out for the S for nearly 5 MONTHS! They could glean so much info, but they just don't dig.
Like Car&Driver the other day. They write an article about the Lucid Air DE. And I quote out of this article: 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Turns It Up to 1111
Screenshot (132)_LI.jpg

"We'd estimate....."
You don't have to "estimate" C&D!!! Go to the site, and hit "media room" (where they are supposed to look), and woah! Here it is!
And if you scroll... BAM! No estimates needed C&D. This would literally take like 5 minutes. And because of this oversight, I lose faith in the rest of the article. What else have they guessed on or estimated?!
It's really sad, and then many of the YT reviewers actually do a better job lol!
I remember one of my first posts here talking about this, and what I said in there still holds true IMO: If you are going to do something (namely in this case, doing some car info digging), you're better off doing it yourself! I hope one day this will change, but we'll have to see. :)

Exactly. Beautifully said!
How is it that me and any other EV nerds on here know all of this stuff, when full-fledged journalists who get payed for this don't. I am certain that they don't know about search tool for the EPA docs, and they don't know about the true marvel this car is. Someone online used that EPA database, and viola! "Woah the refresh X is way better." YEAH. That stuff has been out for the S for nearly 5 MONTHS! They could glean so much info, but they just don't dig.
Like Car&Driver the other day. They write an article about the Lucid Air DE. And I quote out of this article: 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Turns It Up to 1111
View attachment 733103
"We'd estimate....."
You don't have to "estimate" C&D!!! Go to the site, and hit "media room" (where they are supposed to look), and woah! Here it is!
And if you scroll... BAM! No estimates needed C&D. This would literally take like 5 minutes. And because of this oversight, I lose faith in the rest of the article. What else have they guessed on or estimated?!
It's really sad, and then many of the YT reviewers actually do a better job lol!
I remember one of my first posts here talking about this, and what I said in there still holds true IMO: If you are going to do something (namely in this case, doing some car info digging), you're better off doing it yourself! I hope one day this will change, but we'll have to see. :)
It won’t change until the motivation and incentive changes. Currently accuracy is no motivation at all, and the incentive is clicks($).

And yes, I agree, there are definitely Youtubers acting more the part of true journalists than most so-called journalists. And yes again, it would take about 5 seconds of speaking with Avi from Unplugged Performance (or someone like him)to get a sense of just how different the S really is. He’s a nice dude and I’m sure would be quite happy to speak with a reputable journalist for 5 minutes about this subject. But nope, just make a video, say some sh*t, get some clicks, and then watch FB and whatever else fill up with dumb-ass remarks referencing the video as the gospel.

Using the parlance of our times, I can’t even.

Thank you! 🙏🏽 Agree! I followed @BruinIvy ’s advice and put my Model YLR order released! Hopefully I get a VIN assigned shortly. The issue is both my YLR and SLR are in blue lol so I need a wrap for one of them. Coincidentally my SLR is exactly configured as yours. Blue/cream/21” plus I also have the FSD, assuming you do too :)