Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I see your point for sure, and the Plaid is absolutely being limited. But TC is absolutely still a factor. Remember, this is instant torque. You could have 400mm width drag radials on a prepped surface, and an EV this powerful will still instantly light up the tires. I used to be super into RC cars, and they illustrate this to a tee. You give it full throttle and it instantly lights up the tires. So imagine what's happening with the street tires on the Plaid.
So what I mean by this is there is always limiting going on, even if you can't feel it. The TC is just that good. So, extra torque would maybe play a minor role down low, but not much more, and I doubt Tesla would really see the value in bumping up torque like crazy. It would maybe bring the 0-60 down by a couple tenths, but the extra power would be felt and shown in the ET after that. I totally believe the car is limited after 60 mph, but there is only so much that can happen before. I hope we'll some some type of increase soon!🙂
The RC car is an excellent comparison. If the Plaid delivered power like that, there would be carbon fiber, axles, bearings, magnets, and who knows what all over the place. But it would be good fun! Once.

But what I'm getting at is that I do not actually believe the Plaid is traction limited (under normal circumstances of course, not for example in snow). I think the car is delivering a deliberate, consistent, amount of initial power that does not really tax a high traction surface. It is possible to achieve the same 60' time on the street or track and with 19", 20", or 21" wheels with the Plaid, again providing that traction isn't completely horrible.

Furthermore, when someone upgrades to lighter wheels, there seems to be a slight improvement in acceleration. And wider tires are not delivering improved 60' times. This also indicates that we're not dealing with a traction issue so much as a power management cap. I do not believe the street tires are limiting the Plaid's acceleration in any way. If it was we'd see 888's killing it by now. But what we actually see is that lighter (gutted) cars are running faster, into the 8's now.

All of this is what I've gleaned on forums and FB and whatnot. Just by doing my own, back-of-the-napkin, type of research, so I'm open to being incorrect. But I do believe that seeing higher traction surfaces or tires not really yielding better ET's is validating my thought process., which is put simply, if the Plaid hit as hard from the dig as it does at say 30-40mph, it would ET much faster. A tenth in the 60' usually equals 2 in the quarter. Although the trap speed likely wouldn't change much. I believe there's easily a tenth in the 60' left in the Plaid.

All speculation, but it's interesting to think about. :)

The RC car is an excellent comparison. If the Plaid delivered power like that, there would be carbon fiber, axles, bearings, magnets, and who knows what all over the place. But it would be good fun! Once.

But what I'm getting at is that I do not actually believe the Plaid is traction limited (under normal circumstances of course, not for example in snow). I think the car is delivering a deliberate, consistent, amount of initial power that does not really tax a high traction surface. It is possible to achieve the same 60' time on the street or track and with 19", 20", or 21" wheels with the Plaid, again providing that traction isn't completely horrible.

Furthermore, when someone upgrades to lighter wheels, there seems to be a slight improvement in acceleration. And wider tires are not delivering improved 60' times. This also indicates that we're not dealing with a traction issue so much as a power management cap. I do not believe the street tires are limiting the Plaid's acceleration in any way. If it was we'd see 888's killing it by now. But what we actually see is that lighter (gutted) cars are running faster, into the 8's now.

All of this is what I've gleaned on forums and FB and whatnot. Just by doing my own, back-of-the-napkin, type of research, so I'm open to being incorrect. But I do believe that seeing higher traction surfaces or tires not really yielding better ET's is validating my thought process., which is put simply, if the Plaid hit as hard from the dig as it does at say 30-40mph, it would ET much faster. A tenth in the 60' usually equals 2 in the quarter. Although the trap speed likely wouldn't change much. I believe there's easily a tenth in the 60' left in the Plaid.

All speculation, but it's interesting to think about. :)
Ok I see your point. Yes I think they've tuned acceleration to a specific output and G rating. The reason why they are faster with less weight is that's the one thing Tesla cannot electronically control.
So I think it is a combination of things. Probably there is a physical power ramp limit, along with a specific tuning for those specific tires. So anything physics related (weight reduction/unsprung mass), is benefiting times, but as you've said, it seems as if the powertrain is being limited. Tesla has clearly tuned this car for consistency at the track, without seeing a huge drop-off in performance with lower SOC. This along with the hyper advanced cooling loops Tesla is now using with the Plaid will give that desired result.

Ok I see your point. Yes I think they've tuned acceleration to a specific output and G rating. The reason why they are faster with less weight is that's the one thing Tesla cannot electronically control.
So I think it is a combination of things. Probably there is a physical power ramp limit, along with a specific tuning for those specific tires. So anything physics related (weight reduction/unsprung mass), is benefiting times, but as you've said, it seems as if the powertrain is being limited. Tesla has clearly tuned this car for consistency at the track, without seeing a huge drop-off in performance with lower SOC. This along with the hyper advanced cooling loops Tesla is now using with the Plaid will give that desired result.
And it once again validates this tweet:

So if they could give that extra tenth in the 60ft, along with extra HP for top end power, 8s would be no issue to achieve at all!

So if they could give that extra tenth in the 60ft, along with extra HP for top end power, 8s would be no issue to achieve at all!
I'd love an upgrade! I believe it's in there...In guess we'll see at some point. But at the moment I'd just take having my FSD Beta know where my car is on the nav map. :rolleyes:

Got the same message yesterday too. I'm really hoping they can get it out by Saturday. If not, I'm canceling my order. I need it for a road trip on the 21st and taking the 2021 model year and tax credit hit isn't worth it to me otherwise.

I'm curious, has anyone taken a delivery since Sunday?

For reference, this is about a delivery hold while they release a mandatory software update to deal with some sort of center screen issue. I want to make sure it's not just me and josahua that are seeing this.

I'm curious, has anyone taken a delivery since Sunday?

For reference, this is about a delivery hold while they release a mandatory software update to deal with some sort of center screen issue. I want to make sure it's not just me and josahua that are seeing this.
@KyleDay reported he knows someone who took delivery yesterday.

I also added that I was informed it was effecting "some" deliveries. Likely meaning, at some point there was a microchip transition and VINs built after X day need this firmware. You could start comparing VINs to figure it out and definitively confirm. But you might take delivery before you have a clear understanding, making it entirely moot.

Note that Sawyer said software upgrade and not software update. I'd bet that it will be a paid upgrade. Of course Tesla will sell a lot of them including to me.

It'd be pretty shitty to make plaid pay for an upgrade. As a LR owner, I'd gladly shell out $2k for something like a 0.3 sec reduction.
Exactly! The Plaid is their halo car, and those increases would likely happen as a result of Lucid's Tri Motor Air. So Tesla would definitely want ALL Plaids on the road to be able to beat that car, not just the owners who pay for it.

It'd be pretty shitty to make plaid pay for an upgrade. As a LR owner, I'd gladly shell out $2k for something like a 0.3 sec reduction.
I've always expected a performance upgrade option, but I expect it to be more on the order of $3-4K for the LR and would expect it to reduce 0-60 time from 3 sec. to about 2.6 (in line with the improvement you get by shelling out the $2K in a M3 DM LR).

Wild horses couldn't keep me from buying that option :D

Nope! Got pushed back two days!!!!!!!! reset the clock! Car still gets here tonight, praying to JESUS HIMSELF (or @2021plaid ) this thing doesnt have any issues...ill be driving by to see it tonight...

EDIT: @2021plaid liked this post before I even hit "post reply". That's weird...
Wait what??!! Is it 8 or 10 days now? Are you driving it right now and you just don’t want to tell us? Are you rolling down the road with your ANC and tilting screen and just keeping it to yourself? Fess up…

If you haven’t seen my review of my MSLR you can look here Wiki - Model S Delivery Update.

This morning I got into my car and the center screen was blank. The display facing the rear seat and the drivers display were working. But without a stalk and no center screen, how am I getting to work. Noticed the driver selectors below the phone chargers were lit. Always looking for a Tesla adventure I decided not to reset the computers at this time. So I used the buttons below the phone chargers to get me to work. They worked great. This was something that concerned me when Elon decided stalks were not needed, but no problem. I took pictures before I reset the center screen but 3:45 am pictures suck, no need to post them. When I got to work I reset the car and my center screen is back. The picture below (after resetting the car) shows the drive selector can be seen lit up. They sre located below the phone charger. Even though I like the yoke, I still miss the stalks. But the refreshed design is working even when the center screen is not.

Just trying to feed the people patiently waiting for their car some new information. Knock your heels together three times and repeat “My refreshed Model S is worth the wait” “My refreshed Model S …”

I really love this car.

1637107423460.jpeg

If you haven’t seen my review of my MSLR you can look here Wiki - Model S Delivery Update.

This morning I got into my car and the center screen was blank. The display facing the rear seat and the drivers display were working. But without a stalk and no center screen, how am I getting to work. Noticed the driver selectors below the phone chargers were lit. Always looking for a Tesla adventure I decided not to reset the computers at this time. So I used the buttons below the phone chargers to get me to work. They worked great. This was something that concerned me when Elon decided stalks were not needed, but no problem. I took pictures before I reset the center screen but 3:45 am pictures suck, no need to post them. When I got to work I reset the car and my center screen is back. The picture below (after resetting the car) shows the drive selector can be seen lit up. Even though I like the yoke, I still miss the stalks. But the refreshed design is working even when the center screen is not.

Just trying to feed the people patiently waiting for their car some new information. Knock your heels together three times and repeat “My refreshed Model S is worth the wait” “My refreshed Model S …”

View attachment 733766
Great to hear they work so well! AWESOME! 😁

I did not .. was out of town yesterday and got bumped AGAIN to Estimated Delivery: November 22 - December 06 ... I might have to take a drive to Glendale and see if they know anything ... I am fearful the end of the year will be here and no delivery but a $5000 increase in state registration fee.
You can try calling them, will save a trip.. they only told me that my vin will be assigned by 17th (seems reliable). I think yours will be delivered soon.. I am yet to receive a call to schedule delivery date/time.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid