Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're the 9th person (that I can find) that's reported this issue. Some estimation puts the number of VINs affected around 2,000 vehicles. Possibly more if this involves a component swap that occurred at the start of the VIN range.

At this point, I'm guessing Tesla is sitting on a LOT of inventory it can't deliver. Hopefully, that means the pressure is high to get this update released ASAP.

They actually called me and said the firmware is being updated tonight at 2am and that my delivery for tomorrow is back on.

Anybody with a Plaid in the LA area, Q-Insights has reached out to me to attend a paid focus group for $200 this Saturday 1:30-3:30 in Sherman Oaks. I've done focus groups with them in the past and they're legit. They're having a hard time tracking down plaid owners so if anybody is interested please send me a DM and I'll provide the contact info of the group administrator.

It seems like they're specifically looking for people that have experience with the UI in the car so I did suggest that they widen their search to any 2021 refresh and they said they'll consider that but right now this is Plaid only owners that is free this Saturday near Sherman Oaks.

They've opened this up to anybody with a 2021 refreshed S. So anybody interested please send me a PM.
Seems they're having a rough time filling this focus group. So anybody that has a 2018 or newer Model S that wouldn't mind spending a couple hours in Sherman Oaks for $200 on Saturday 1:30-3:30 let me know and I'll forward you the details.

Taking my first road trip in my Plaid in a couple hours! Not terribly far (down to Fairfax county VA), but all of my previous Ses couldn't make it in one shot, and I'd have to hit one of the many SCs on the way... this time I'm looking to see if I can get straight there with no stops (bladder willing!). Should be ~260mi and about 4 hours if I don't hit too much traffic. The person's house I'm going to has Teslas as well, so there should be charging there, so I can push it and arrive with only a few lonely electrons in the tank when I arrive too, so no concerns there. The only worry is if I need to pee! Wish me luck, haha.
@DukeofURL GOod Luck! Or, you can do what NASA/SPACE X astronauts do: wear diapers. Or, do as my cousin does and take an empty big mouth Gatorade bottle for the ride and no pit stops req'd. ;)

Is there a way to have the car auto set to the highest height say in your garage and have it either stay at the height or auto raise when you next approach the car? I’m thinking it would be nice since it’s easier to get in and out of when higher.
@funchess "I’m thinking it would be nice since it’s easier to get in and out of when higher."
Really, really?? Come on lob that one right over home plate for me...
That's what she....

@funchess "I’m thinking it would be nice since it’s easier to get in and out of when higher."
Really, really?? Come on lob that one right over home plate for me...
That's what she....
🤣
dirty-funny.gif

They've opened this up to anybody with a 2021 refreshed S. So anybody interested please send me a PM.
Ha, seems like they don’t exactly have their finger on the pulse of who has Plaid’s or refreshed S’s since I’ve not been contacted and I’ve had the car since June 29th. And I’ve done my fair share of focus groups so I would think I’m on a list somewhere. Or not. I’m out of town or I’d sign up.

If it was me, I would personally keep the first, grey ones. I think if everything matched, it would still look great, if not a little monochromatic. The grey wheels are an awesome contrast with your red, and the design is sick IMHO. Reminds me of the ZeroG M3 wheels! The red will wear that wheel color to a tee. Hope this can help. 😁 :D:)
+1

Ha, seems like they don’t exactly have their finger on the pulse of who has Plaid’s or refreshed S’s since I’ve not been contacted and I’ve had the car since June 29th. And I’ve done my fair share of focus groups so I would think I’m on a list somewhere. Or not. I’m out of town or I’d sign up.
Ok well it's kinda quiet here.... Wanna gush about Tesla? How about that close huh?

RN11394xxxx here. No VIN. Allegedly December delivery. we'll see. :[
RN 113838xxx🤞Me too!
Do not shoot the messenger, but there are cars with estimated delivery dates of August/2022 that say the same thing.

However, you have a two week range, which is a solid indication that you are looking at a VIN five to six days prior to the start of that range and then 10 - 14 days for transit. Essentially, that 14 day range is a solid indication of when they will get you your car. Congrats!
So, now that I've an EDD narrowed to a two weeks window, that's good news??
Elon, you've got "two weeks" to get me my car!

They approved my loan, but only for $85k based on my credit history. Same story here, excellent credit score, enough cash in the bank to buy the car outright many times over. They said that I haven't had a car loan that large before, despite having two 3yr loans at the same time for two Model 3s that are both paid off now. The total monthly payment was far more than this... Anyway, I took the $85k loan because the rate was good and paid the rest with cash. Annoying.
I overshot what I wanted and they did the same thing but landed at what I needed.

Has anybody had any problems with paying for their car for delivery in Texas? Their instructions are, opaque.
I'm guessing that they don't want to see any money, in any form, within the state of Texas.... but they don't come right out and say it.
Which means, if its complicated now, you are going to have to have a PHD to figure it out when the cyber truck rolls out in a year or two.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of firmware updates causing delays in delivery?

My Plaid arrived at my local Tesla store 2 weeks ago. First it got delayed as there were paint scratches during transport so they had the front bumper and trunk repainted. I was supposed to get it tomorrow and now I got this email:

"Your Model S, along with all others currently needs a firmware update from the engineering team at factory prior to your delivery. We were hoping to get it resolved last night, but the engineering team needs more time to develop a fix for all Model S's about to be delivered. I do greatly apologize for the delay."
Yes got the same notice a week ago. Others did too. Starting to wonder if this is the airbag and they just didnt want to say it.