Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard he was “spanking the monkey,” the Tesla EDD monkey, that is…..
1534300_naughty-boy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Draketurner
that's the problem, you're missing the worm which is like the sacrificial anode on a boat. once they install the worm, it will attract all the problems and you'll be fine.
the worm increases in size as it absorbs the EMI and other issues with the car.
I'm sure someone will comment on increasing worm sizes on this forum...if they read this.
But who?

OK - well, I haven't yet officially, but will be rejecting the delivery. They did let me drive the car (which was great for a quick 10 minute test drive, talk more about that in a sec) but this particular VIN aint it.

In the bright sunshine today I get to the lot with the car and I get to see it. Things I notice instantly:

- the passenger rear door is both high and slightly bulges out and may or may not be somewhat crooked (look at the pics below, the driver's side rear door and the passenger side rear door).

- then, I notice that the rear bumper is super tight on one side, and looks half tight but not all the way on the other side. Hard to tell when it isn't bright outside, but when it is, I could clearly see some bumper clips were missing, causing there to be a 1-2 mm gap. Not the absolute end of the world, but not great.

-then, I notice that the edges (maybe, .5 - 1 inch ish) of the white lower dashboard interior trim is sticking out, where I can clearly see a gap between the silver trim and white dash trim. On the other side of the dash (passenger side) also edge sticking out. They told me it clips in and all cars look like that... uhm, no. Many of you guys know ive asked you about this or commented about. The trim seemed to be, idk, slightly bent? The tesla people shoved it back in but it started slowing coming apart again.

- the doors aren't flush with the body and depending on what you want to blame that on, hard to tell, but looking at both sides of the car's doors have wierd alignment issues, where part of the door is fully flush to the body, other parts arent.

- then, i feel around the rubber gaskets of the doors, and it is completely ****ed up on each door. Some of the rubber trim sticks out in places, other places the window goes in improperly.

So - to the part where I drive it:

They ask me to bring the car over to the service center (about 2 miles away) from the holding lot. So my luck I get to drive it. Thoughts:

- It was sort of a loud-ish cabin, a little louder than I expected, but a big reason I think is because its big ass car with half of it being hollow missing the shelves, but it wasnt bad, just not amazing. No crazy rattles and the road was a little rough.

- I floored it, felt great

- I LOVE the yoke, its so freaking cool! It feels like driving a video game or something. I honestly was most nervous about this and I thought it was AWESOME. Its so great. My biggest takeaway is that the yoke is a must have in all tesla cars.

- The visibility out of the front windshield is awesome. Like an IMAX screen. Way better than expected. Car does feel big (mostly in the ass) but definitely feels agile, and moves effortlessly which I love.

- I love the 17 inch infotainment screen. It needs a tilt function though. For real.

- I have had other EVs and Teslas and the model s drives just like the model 3 but feels more quality and less go-karty.

So - where I'm at:

- I haven't officially declined the car, I told them I'd go home to think about it. Technically, I never "accepted delivery" (thank god), so they said theyd cancel it and refund me and put me back in line for one for next spring if i want.

- This is a case where a lot of *sugar* added up. Not one thing was a major dealbreaker (the door is pretty bad imo), the interior trim coming loose from the dash and sticking out is just 100% absolutely LAUGHABLE in an $100k car. Terrible design.

- Tesla told me everything I complained about was "in spec" and they measured all of the gaps. It was "well, its a little off here and there but all in spec, there's just variability in manufacturing"....and with the interior trim as the guy was shoving it back under the silver trim piece "hey look man, it looks right now doesnt it?" Basically "everything's in spec" was the worst thing they couldve said and I felt like they were just blowing *sugar* off.

- I'm going to ask for a refund in the AM, put a hold on my account until mid-to-late Jan, and give them another shot. if the next one looks like this, I'm going to go with something else. A $50k model 3 would be suspect with this, a $100k Model S is not acceptable with this level of detail.

Other Note:

- The car was dirty, the exterior still had adhesive all over it and it had not been washed. There were black finger prints on my white center console still. That's how they were going to deliver this car to me. Incredible.

View attachment 736232View attachment 736233
Rejecting sounds like the right thing to do for you as you’ll see these defects in your mind from now on. It’s hard to tell what your next build would be like as always.

Post like yours are concerning as it’s crazy some have such poor quality and others are reported as perfect - maybe that’s excitement glossing over things at first.

Has those of us taking one soon worried about you our assumed VIN build will turn out - Ug.

Rejecting sounds like the right thing to do for you as you’ll see these defects in your mind from now on. It’s hard to tell what your next build would be like as always.

Post like yours are concerning as it’s crazy some have such poor quality and others are reported as perfect - maybe that’s excitement glossing over things at first.

Has those of us taking one soon worried about you our assumed VIN build will turn out - Ug.
+1 Now, I am worried about all that ***sugar*** that you found wrong on yours. It's not even EOQ/EOY yet. Gulp.
Oh, @Tigers--- I agree with @jebinc "F that car!" Tho do tell what they say when you do.

OK - well, I haven't yet officially, but will be rejecting the delivery. They did let me drive the car (which was great for a quick 10 minute test drive, talk more about that in a sec) but this particular VIN aint it.

In the bright sunshine today I get to the lot with the car and I get to see it. Things I notice instantly:

- the passenger rear door is both high and slightly bulges out and may or may not be somewhat crooked (look at the pics below, the driver's side rear door and the passenger side rear door).

- then, I notice that the rear bumper is super tight on one side, and looks half tight but not all the way on the other side. Hard to tell when it isn't bright outside, but when it is, I could clearly see some bumper clips were missing, causing there to be a 1-2 mm gap. Not the absolute end of the world, but not great.

-then, I notice that the edges (maybe, .5 - 1 inch ish) of the white lower dashboard interior trim is sticking out, where I can clearly see a gap between the silver trim and white dash trim. On the other side of the dash (passenger side) also edge sticking out. They told me it clips in and all cars look like that... uhm, no. Many of you guys know ive asked you about this or commented about. The trim seemed to be, idk, slightly bent? The tesla people shoved it back in but it started slowing coming apart again.

- the doors aren't flush with the body and depending on what you want to blame that on, hard to tell, but looking at both sides of the car's doors have wierd alignment issues, where part of the door is fully flush to the body, other parts arent.

- then, i feel around the rubber gaskets of the doors, and it is completely ****ed up on each door. Some of the rubber trim sticks out in places, other places the window goes in improperly.

So - to the part where I drive it:

They ask me to bring the car over to the service center (about 2 miles away) from the holding lot. So my luck I get to drive it. Thoughts:

- It was sort of a loud-ish cabin, a little louder than I expected, but a big reason I think is because its big ass car with half of it being hollow missing the shelves, but it wasnt bad, just not amazing. No crazy rattles and the road was a little rough.

- I floored it, felt great

- I LOVE the yoke, its so freaking cool! It feels like driving a video game or something. I honestly was most nervous about this and I thought it was AWESOME. Its so great. My biggest takeaway is that the yoke is a must have in all tesla cars.

- The visibility out of the front windshield is awesome. Like an IMAX screen. Way better than expected. Car does feel big (mostly in the ass) but definitely feels agile, and moves effortlessly which I love.

- I love the 17 inch infotainment screen. It needs a tilt function though. For real.

- I have had other EVs and Teslas and the model s drives just like the model 3 but feels more quality and less go-karty.

So - where I'm at:

- I haven't officially declined the car, I told them I'd go home to think about it. Technically, I never "accepted delivery" (thank god), so they said theyd cancel it and refund me and put me back in line for one for next spring if i want.

- This is a case where a lot of *sugar* added up. Not one thing was a major dealbreaker (the door is pretty bad imo), the interior trim coming loose from the dash and sticking out is just 100% absolutely LAUGHABLE in an $100k car. Terrible design.

- Tesla told me everything I complained about was "in spec" and they measured all of the gaps. It was "well, its a little off here and there but all in spec, there's just variability in manufacturing"....and with the interior trim as the guy was shoving it back under the silver trim piece "hey look man, it looks right now doesnt it?" Basically "everything's in spec" was the worst thing they couldve said and I felt like they were just blowing *sugar* off.

- I'm going to ask for a refund in the AM, put a hold on my account until mid-to-late Jan, and give them another shot. if the next one looks like this, I'm going to go with something else. A $50k model 3 would be suspect with this, a $100k Model S is not acceptable with this level of detail.

Other Note:

- The car was dirty, the exterior still had adhesive all over it and it had not been washed. There were black finger prints on my white center console still. That's how they were going to deliver this car to me. Incredible.

View attachment 736232View attachment 736233
Sorry man!

I thought if you rejected it you’d get one of the next ones available. Why would you be put back in line for Spring? This will be my first Tesla and this worries me if it works like that.

Hard to show in pics but the door is 2-3 mm too high, so it screws up the body lines, the trim, causes the door to "stick out" from the body (or thats something else, idk hard to tell) it's not on there right. hilariously I first noticed because of a couple next to me picking up their model y said "hey if you didnt see it that door looks off" and lo and behold they were right!

Also - its a combo of all the issues and if thats how they are built then Im happy to find another car. Its a great car, I think, but more alternatives are coming out.

Doing the right thing. Whether big or not - not for us to decide - these would eat you up and steal your joy. Take the next one.

Doing the right thing. Whether big or not - not for us to decide - these would eat you up and steal your joy. Take the next one.

Thanks and I agree. Only issue I have is the Tesla people tried to make it sound like it was going to be exactly the same. I sure hope not but now at least I'm mentally more prepared. Also glad I was at least able to drive it. Still can't believe they didn't even wash the car before delivery and left tons of adhesive on it.

To a separate one of your points though, the yoke is absolutely my favorite part of the new car. Almost instantly I didn't have to look down at the turn signals or didn't feel like my hands were landing in weird spots holding it. The bottom being flat is a little strange feeling but absolutely did not feel like it was any issue whatsoever and I definitely prefer the yoke.