Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. MT is quoting Tesla.

Another example of how media does quotes:

"Tesla is warning that its new Model S Plaid won’t hit its advertised 200 mph top speed at launch since it will need a tire and wheel upgrade this fall."

Thats from here
Oh yeah but that's from Electrek lol who noticed that 5 months after it was on the website lol! They are not exactly always on the cutting edge of news I'm afraid. That wording has been there since Jan 27th. (I would actually trust MT more than Electrek in this case). However @2101Guy and @lbowroom, I think that Tesla literally hadn't got around to updating the site yet.

And btw guys (this is all I will say on this), I'm a firm believer that the track pack that those wheels would've been coupled with would have/will be equal to or greater than $20,000. Tesla has always had a footnote on that, and that footnote has now changed. Tesla probably thought they needed those wheels for 200 mph, and then validated them at the Nürburgring along with developing the brakes at that same track.
I really don't see any wrongdoing here, and people would have been just as mad if they had to pay 20k to get those wheels. People buying were fully aware that *something* would be required for those speeds. That something has changed it seems. It's Tesla; things are always changing and don't always go to plan. What's new? It's very likely that Tesla at the time of informing MT truly intended to push a SW update to just unlock it, and then maybe they did some testing to find out that better brakes were needed for those speeds.
This way you get to keep your wheels, and fix an issue with the Plaid that is widely known. I hope they make it standard or a free retrofit, but we'll see!
I'm just happy to be seeing some movement on this subject! :)

Last edited:
If Tesla says the car can't do 200mph and limits it to 162, then the statement "(Y), means they are certified for the particular vehicle they are mounted on" means they are certified to 162 until Tesla says differently
Nope. Not necessarily. Otherwise why equip these tires with that rating? They could just throw some Ws on it and call it a day. They clearly were planning for higher speeds I think. They probably weren't exactly sure just how they were going to it though. :)

Im astounded at the lack of outrage by many plaid owners. Imagine neing told in writing, that your $140k car will have a top speed of 200mph once you purchase the special wheels needed to do so. (Which Tesla KNEW THEN..there were no "special" wheel requirements beyond the Arachnids when they put that sentence on the page. Similiar to Tesla KNOWING there would be no Robotaxi service in place by end of 2019 or 2020, whichever it was).

Then AFTER they get your money, moving the goal posts and saying "Give us $20k, and only THEN, will you get the 200mph we advertised and promised as part of the purchase agreement/contract between us".

They are masters at being Lucy with the football, and the customers being charlie brown
It’s annoying and Tesla is 100% wrong for this, but I never intended to drive my car 200mph, let alone 150. At the end of the day it’s bad business by Tesla but doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the car in the least.

I would be happy with a heavily discounted price for the brake upgrade though. Maybe 50% off.

Agree about all the other documents, but the check itself is not enforceable/unenforceable because of what's on the memo line.
Don't know enough to agree/disagree but sounds reasonable. Didn't dig deep enough to find out whether they would have cut a new check or just reissued loan/lien with proper numbers and let the check pass. Maybe each institution has its own rules and back end requirements?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Any idea how long you can hang on to the check? The loan is active in my DCU account; if I release a VIN and have to wait 2 months, what happens then I wonder?
You probably get the privilege of making payments on the loan without actually having the car. Sounds like the paper work will get messy. Maybe better to cancel the loan and start over when you have a new VIN.

As usual, Tesla gets a D+ for communication. It does not help that the brake upgrade went live about the same time as the new verbiage. The new statement can be interpreted to be functionally equivalent to the old statement, it could, in fact, refer to the brake upgrade, or something completely different (i.e after time on the 'Ring, they decided 200 mph is only unlocked with the Track Pack).

Until there is more clarity, does not seem worth getting spun up.

As usual, Tesla gets a D+ for communication. It does not help that the brake upgrade went live about the same time as the new verbiage. The new statement can be interpreted to be functionally equivalent to the old statement, it could, in fact, refer to the brake upgrade, or something completely different (i.e after time on the 'Ring, they decided 200 mph is only unlocked with the Track Pack).

I try to only get spun up over things that require I do something. I can not imagine "doing" anything about this.

The above said, I think Tesla has learned from past fiascos and has now carefully made their language ambiguous. They know people have a short attention span and most will not stick to this issue from now to the middle of next year. I apologize for applying such Machiavellian intent to their actions but I've come to the conclusion that they are very smart, learn from their mistakes but never really seem to learn the morally/ethically correct thing from those mistakes. Their current wall between management and customer facing resources is an example fresh in my mind.

I was actually considering the Unplugged Performance brake kit. I wasn't thrilled that it was only the front rotors so there would be a visual mismatch but understood that UP is working on the rear rotors. Now that Tesla has teased their kit and not knowing what will be required to unlock the promised 200mph I guess I'm stuck waiting. Not that I'd ever use that speed but I wouldn't want to get the UP brake kit then have Tesla say sorry can't upgrade without theirs.

Also being an early Plaid+ reservation before they started adding asterisks to that feature It'd be silly for me not to wait to see how that all shakes out.

Holy sugar! I got a call from my delivery advisor a short while ago stating that my car is ready to pick up now if I want it! I was originally scheduled for Monday. The only problem was, my bank has not sent me the final loan documents to sign. I called him and was on hold with them for 2 1/2 hours. They finally expedited it. Signed everything and good to go.

Then, my son calls me. He is stuck on the opposite side of town! I was very tempted to tell him to suck it up. But then, I realize that I love him more than my car. Anyway, he is all good and I am on my way to get my car right now! Woo hoo!

Holy sugar! I got a call from my delivery advisor a short while ago stating that my car is ready to pick up now if I want it! I was originally scheduled for Monday. The only problem was, my bank has not sent me the final loan documents to sign. I called him and was on hold with them for 2 1/2 hours. They finally expedited it. Signed everything and good to go.

Then, my son calls me. He is stuck on the opposite side of town! I was very tempted to tell him to suck it up. But then, I realize that I love him more than my car. Anyway, he is all good and I am on my way to get my car right now! Woo hoo!
BRO CONGRATS!!! So happy for you! Share some photos man!! :D

Indeed.

I have seen the rationale or basis for most of Tesla's decisions. Most. There have been a small sampling that have been otherwise. One well known one was the requirement to pay for the faulty memory in the original MCU. I opted for the MCU2, but I can understand why those not wanting the upgrade and with faulty MCUs were incensed. After much consternation, Tesla backed off, from what I recall.

This is another example and is 100% flawed. There was no explicit indication that to hit 200mph on a Plaid would be an additional/incremental cost. The site simply stated that the tires needed would be available in the Fall. Or that it would only work on the larger wheels. Availability and 'paid upgrade' are not automagically inclusive in my poor grasp of English.

And if the cost is more related to braking from that speed vs achieving that speed, it is even more so untenable.

They need to fix this. As someone else stated (the other Omar, I think), it's not that I will be going 200mph, but I should get everything I paid for.

The Plaid was marketed as such. That is a car that can get to 200mph and back. Safely and repeatedly.

Im astounded at the lack of outrage by many plaid owners. Imagine neing told in writing, that your $140k car will have a top speed of 200mph once you purchase the special wheels needed to do so. (Which Tesla KNEW THEN..there were no "special" wheel requirements beyond the Arachnids when they put that sentence on the page. Similiar to Tesla KNOWING there would be no Robotaxi service in place by end of 2019 or 2020, whichever it was).

Then AFTER they get your money, moving the goal posts and saying "Give us $20k, and only THEN, will you get the 200mph we advertised and promised as part of the purchase agreement/contract between us".

They are masters at being Lucy with the football, and the customers being charlie brown

Oh yeah but that's from Electrek lol who noticed that 5 months after it was on the website lol! They are not exactly always on the cutting edge of news I'm afraid. That wording has been there since Jan 27th. (I would actually trust MT more than Electrek in this case). However @2101Guy and @lbowroom, I think that Tesla literally hadn't got around to updating the site yet.

And btw guys (this is all I will say on this), I'm a firm believer that the track pack that those wheels would've been coupled with would have/will be equal to or greater than $20,000. Tesla has always had a footnote on that, and that footnote has now changed. Tesla probably thought they needed those wheels for 200 mph, and then validated them at the Nürburgring along with developing the brakes at that same track.
I really don't see any wrongdoing here, and people would have been just as mad if they had to pay 20k to get those wheels. People buying were fully aware that *something* would be required for those speeds. That something has changed it seems. It's Tesla; things are always changing and don't always go to plan. What's new? It's very likely that Tesla at the time of informing MT truly intended to push a SW update to just unlock it, and then maybe they did some testing to find out that better brakes were needed for those speeds.
This way you get to keep your wheels, and fix an issue with the Plaid that is widely known. I hope they make it standard or a free retrofit, but we'll see!
I'm just happy to be seeing some movement on this subject! :)
I seem to remember the Ludicrous option was $20,000 for basically just a pyro fuse. After many paid for this, Tesla started including it for free, and were they pissed. I don't blame them. Their car lost $20k of value overnight.

I realize this is different as Ludicrous wasn't a future promise, but I wouldn't be surprised Tesla includes ceramic brakes as part of the Plaid option eventually. $20k could be the new "two weeks."

I seem to remember the Ludicrous option was $20,000 for basically just a pyro fuse. After many paid for this, Tesla started including it for free, and were they pissed. I don't blame them. Their car lost $20k of value overnight.

I realize this is different as Ludicrous wasn't a future promise, but I wouldn't be surprised Tesla includes ceramic brakes as part of the Plaid option eventually. $20k could be the new "two weeks."
This exactly. I'm very curious to see what the standard equipment and options for the Plaid will be a year from now. Most likely it will be different.

Reactions: impastu and auger
OT BUT GUUUUYYYYSSSS! I found a photo of the production Cybertruck!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY ****!! I think it turned out so good! They improved the original prototype!!!!!!@jebinc

Screenshot_20211126-172900_Instagram.jpg