Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you wanting to put non OEM size tires - see this - 19" OEM front diameter is 28.1” and 21" OEM front diameter is 28.3"… my 20" aftermarket tire diameter is 28.5”… I have barely 4mm left before the tire fouls with the upper control arm!
Nothing a little tire shaving won't fix, or you could let nature take it's course. Normally, I'd say the control arm will win over the tires, but this is Tesla, and we know how they struggle with suspension components....

I'm worried about them pulling ferris bueller. Even with the speed limiter locked, they could still keep it in plaid and 50mph is still fast enough to get into trouble. There should just be an option to lock it in chill mode. I'm not worried about it getting stolen or them having access to the glove box or frunk. Is there a setting they need to access that valet mode would lock them out of for a tire change?

I know they're going to say they need to test drive it after the tire change. Funny how the only cars that need a test drive are the fast ones. My slow cars were never tested.

There is another way to solve this.

Buy 4 cheap floor jacks. Like 120 total.

Pull the wheels and deliver them to the tires store.

Install them yourself with a good torque wrench, because they won't.

Tesla Noob question...

If all goes well with my pickup today, will be bringing my new S to the body shop tomorrow for ceramic coating. When you do something like this, what kind of key do you leave with the shop? The Fob? The card? Do you put the car in valet mode ahead of time?
First off, congrats on your upcoming pickup! Ok so usually it's best to leave the card with a shop. Won't be as scratched if dropped vs. that gloss black fob. :)
And yes, if I were you, I would enable Valet Mode if they don't specifically need glovebox or frunk access.
Here is a useful description of Valet Mode, and I'm sure most if not all of these things will apply to the new S:

Nothing a little tire shaving won't fix, or you could let nature take it's course. Normally, I'd say the control arm will win over the tires, but this is Tesla, and we know how they struggle with suspension components....
Also I think I read in Mpuntain Passnperformance’s blogs that they’re coming up with a replacement control arm for bigger diameter tires :) that will be interesting.

@Plaid2021 is a gdamn hero. I’ve been in Albany Bahamas the past few days. While away, the wife took her Boxster to the dealer for some service. She sat in a Taycan. Woman fell in love with the ergonomics. (“ omg that steering wheel was so cute! I couldn’t stop running my hand on it!)

Concerned she’d be disappointed with the minimalist interior of the MS, ( as I’ve never seen or sat one and only glanced at the Taycan), I reached out to @Plaid2021 for some talking points.

Within minutes, he held my hand and compared the two EVs. Without quoting all of his replies, in order not to bore you, I want to just post a couple of things he said, if anybody is unfamiliar as I was. After running comparisons between the two…

The MS IMHO is truly the best sedan ever made. The amount of features for the money is awesome. Superior range, efficiency, interior space, cargo storage, UI, performance, charging network, it has OTA SW updates, and cheaper in the real world. It's going to be really tough to find a bare bones Taycan. Also, no one pedal driving for the Taycan.
So in the end, unless you want to spend Plaid level money on a car with all of the disadvantages I pointed out above, (in which case why wouldn't you just get the Plaid then lol), the MS DM is the stand out winner here. In every meaningful category.
Oh and don't take this the wrong way. The Taycan is a good, good EV, and many people love it. I love all EVs, and the more of them the better. It's almost wrong though to compare it to the S. Basically unfair lol. The S is that much better.

Really long way of saying, I really appreciate this forum and everybody in it. What a great resource.

@Pdubs I think you got the wrong @2021plaid ...

Post 999... It's delivery day. 8 months and 26 days from my original excitement of ordering. It's been a long journey. Many have gotten my 👍😭🤪👎 but thanks for this forum for keeping me somewhat sane during this crazy journey. From ordering, production delays, looking up permits, speculations on when first deliveries would ever start, complaining about many others taking delivery first, watching endless flyover videos from @gabeincal, the crazy amount of time wasted here, too much time...

Hopefully my next post will be after I pickup a perfect Model S (we'll see about it being perfect ha) and post 1000 on will be about the next chapter of the journey.

Post 999... It's delivery day. 8 months and 26 days from my original excitement of ordering. It's been a long journey. Many have gotten my 👍😭🤪👎 but thanks for this forum for keeping me somewhat sane during this crazy journey. From ordering, production delays, looking up permits, speculations on when first deliveries would ever start, complaining about many others taking delivery first, watching endless flyover videos from @gabeincal, the crazy amount of time wasted here, too much time...

Hopefully my next post will be after I pickup a perfect Model S (we'll see about it being perfect ha) and post 1000 on will be about the next chapter of the journey.
Not again. Are you kidding me with this?

I must be out of my mind to think I can operate a Tesla. @2021plaid , nothing personal 😀

Attachments

• 1638536917169.png
    1638536917169.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 122

A day before me. Mine got pushed to tomorrow from yesterday. Have a beautiful day man. Can’t wait to hear about it!

Took delivery yesterday afternoon and the car seems great (no issues, drove about 60 miles including some highway shenanigans) 🙏 They didn't give me key fobs at delivery, so I set up a service appt to get those and the trunk mats. The only question I have - the car should be dead silent when it's off, correct? My front motor is making a light humming noise when it's off, but the rear motor is silent. Anyone know what that's about?

Today is my pickup day too, after a very, very long wait. Aside from the nearly a year on order, it’s been my dream car for the past decade. Hope it all goes smoothly as well, though there would have to be MAJOR problems to not take it home today.

Good luck!

I would recommend you have a smoke or take a Librium before you go. Will help!

Just picked up my car from Supreme Wraps Dallas. Got the following:
  • Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF (full car)
  • Xpel Fusion ceramic coating
  • 20% ceramic tint on windows
  • 70% tint on windshield
  • Black satin on front Tesla emblem
  • Black gloss on rear Tesla emblem
  • Custom Plaid badge from pimpmyev.com
12D3DC39-2B00-4F83-AA5D-4BE35C442609.jpeg
C3DF7367-7192-485E-B22A-4DEBC459FF78.jpeg
267FEA2D-BE97-440E-B236-B474D519AD8B.jpeg
174AC0E1-0683-4C58-B3A8-34C334DB2D6E.jpeg
84A2158D-94E7-46EB-9EF6-F7602CA6B956.jpeg
FD074B29-104F-490B-BA53-5A95013991FF.jpeg
111CB088-021A-49AE-81BF-25CACDBC6FCE.jpeg
3AED645A-D60D-485E-86C9-87AE95CACFFB.jpeg
825882A5-FB6A-4863-8A98-9F38A60CA855.jpeg

Eventually, all white seats will be cream colored. Why wait? Get it now, before they go the way of the wood trim on the Plaid...
Is this a fact or speculation?
I ultimately decided on white, but cream was very close - so if I was limited to cream, I would have been just about as fine with it anyway, but just wondering if this is musing or info - thanks!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
First off, congrats on your upcoming pickup! Ok so usually it's best to leave the card with a shop. Won't be as scratched if dropped vs. that gloss black fob. :)
And yes, if I were you, I would enable Valet Mode if they don't specifically need glovebox or frunk access.
Here is a useful description of Valet Mode, and I'm sure most if not all of these things will apply to the new S:
Congratulations @modizzle I hope your delivery goes smoothly. One reason valet mode may not work is that really good PPF goes around and under the edges of the panels. To do this they need trunk access. I’ve heard from others than the speed limit setting enables chill mode, but this is unconfirmed and I suspect untrue. I plan to leave a FOB when I do mine. But set the speed limit setting. I wish there was a clear way to lock the car in chill mode. Have to believe that this will be useful especially for families that allow their teenage sons to borrow the car!

lol, wtf? I mean Ford's aren't usually THAT bad. Why are the Lincoln's so especially bad? I don't get it.

On a Tesla note - I wonder CR compiles this data. Is it mechanical *sugar* only or do they have some data on number of service visits for random *sugar* like my speaking getting blown out. My Model 3 was never in the shop for an electrical/mechanical issue. It was only ever in the shop because of a paint problem and they agreed to repaint part of it.
It was a new platform, new electronics and new drivetrain. I went in with my eyes open but it does not change the fact that they suck.

Tesla Noob question...

If all goes well with my pickup today, will be bringing my new S to the body shop tomorrow for ceramic coating. When you do something like this, what kind of key do you leave with the shop? The Fob? The card? Do you put the car in valet mode ahead of time?
Don't put it in Valet Mode. They will need to open the frunk and trunk. Use Speed Limit Moden set at 50mph and a glove box PIN. Speed Limit Mode locks your car in Chill Mode and allows the frunk and trunk to be opened.

Best to leave a key card instead of a fob.