Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't a button that shows how much I love this post, so take what ya get. ;)

But ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

Just ask Rivian how much towing affects range. For those that haven't been following Rivian's tribulations, there are early reports of towing greatly impacting the Rivian truck's range.

If Tesla wants this truck to do well, it absolutely must have enough battery capacity to provide acceptable towing range.

Hopefully, rather than Tesla saying "we decided no one needs 500 miles of range," they're finding out that the 4680 cell is going to be able to still give them the required range even with the fourth motor.

Another consideration... the amount of energy needed to move x amount of mass at a velocity of y is a set value; it doesn't change based on how many motors you have attached to the drive train. Is it possible that they could add the fourth motor without effecting the efficiency, hence the range? If they can run four motors and still efficiently provide the energy needed to move x amount of mass at y velocity, you're set. Maybe it turns out that having the fourth motor improves efficiency by putting less load on each of them? I don't know enough (actually, zero) about electric motors and the most efficient setup to have a valid opinion.

I'm just spitballing, as it would truly suck if it turns out that Tesla just decided that kind of range wasn't needed.

Maybe this will be a case of it being a good thing that Rivian was first to market, and Tesla can learn from their mistake(s).

Look around a bit, and you'll find a few articles about how bad the Rivian truck's range suffers from towing; even modest loads have a considerable range hit.

It would be great if Elon would clarify the truck's stats with the fourth motor added to it, starting with the total battery pack capacity.
Fwiw there was a video this summer, forgot who, plaid I think running out of juice, eye pulled with her Mercedes and that regenerated at near supercharger speeds. Her mpg in the Benz was really low, like 8 or something on the highway.

Does smart summon work on the refresh S? Someone said it does, but I have yet to see it as an option.

Mine actually worked well when I took delivery. That was on the old phone app. After the last couple phone app updates, my location has been off a bit and that seems to mess with the summons. I do not trust it in a public parking lot so I play with it at the office and such.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I’m not sure I would bother with having Tesla fix that. Might do more harm than good, with blending and all. Maybe sand hidden trunk edge and get free $60 touch up paint kit from Tesla. Wouldn’t touch outer visible surfaces. Or, you can have them do the latter, but touch up only. No body shop spraying.
My delivered MS LR had a paint/body flaw as pictured. Service manager said the best way is to send it to their favorite body shop and fix and spray and Assured me of outstanding color match done by the contractor body shop Relentless in Raleigh NC. Not sure if I’m experienced enough to judge the outcome. Should I be concerned? I have not accepted delivery yet. Repair will be ready Wednesday after an 8 day repair.

Attachments

• C3E15D87-4FB9-4BC4-A441-5FA7AEAD70BB.jpeg
    C3E15D87-4FB9-4BC4-A441-5FA7AEAD70BB.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 35FED346-9374-4597-8807-764C59D44EF5.jpeg
    35FED346-9374-4597-8807-764C59D44EF5.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 68
My delivered MS LR had a paint/body flaw as pictured. Service manager said the best way is to send it to their favorite body shop and fix and spray and Assured me of outstanding color match done by the contractor body shop Relentless in Raleigh NC. Not sure if I’m experienced enough to judge the outcome. Should I be concerned? I have not accepted delivery yet. Repair will be ready Wednesday after an 8 day repair.

If the rest of the car is good and it comes back ok - I would take it. Bring someone with you that is not aware of the issue and has no premature bias. Ask them to see if they see any defects in the paint. Decide then.

It is usually within 20-50ft of my actual location. If you sit and watch it (and yes, my life is such that I did that), it bounces around. It does not pick one location and keep me there. On the original app I had in June, it did not bounce around.
My fault, I should have been clearer. I've never used smart summon and don't know where it's located.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Digging up this old post as I just read it for the first time, but RIGHT ON, MAN!!! :D

The problem is that the RATED range of, say, 400 is so very condition specific; you need to be at an exact speed, on a perfectly level surface, at a given outside air temperature to achieve the "rated" range. Once you change any of those variables the actual range changes greatly.

Add 15 mph? Huge range hit.

Freezing temperatures? Range hit

Hilly terrain? Range hit.

Stop and go traffic? Range hit.

Headwind? A lot bigger range hit than what you'd think.

And the problem is that these range hits are NOT trivial. They can be HUGE. It isn't unusual for me to get less than half of the "rated" range in the wintertime driving at 80 mph (we have a lot of interstate here that is zoned at 80 mph).

So having a 400 mile "rated" range is extremely important, because NO ONE drives under the exact conditions needed to get that range figure.

Unfortunately, most people that buy Teslas are shocked the first time that they drive the car and don't get the "rated" range. "What's wrong with my new Tesla? I'm only getting xxx miles of range?" How many of these types of posts are here on TMC? Hundreds.

People just don't understand that there is so much more involved. And since people just don't take the time to learn about this stuff, they blame Tesla when their car doesn't achieve its rated range. IMO, the way the guvmint rates EV range needs to be completely overhauled. Rather than a one size fits all "rated range," they need to list multiple ranges for various driving conditions.

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard for Tesla to update the nav system to give better range estimates on a per-drive basis, either.
It wouldn't be such an issue IF... you could charge to 100% all the time AND you could do it as quickly as you could with a gas/diesel vehicle.

Problem is you can't even get the 400 mile ideal rang under ideal conditions unless you are charging to 100% which isn't something you should do even remotely often unless you want to accelerate battery degradation. Again the 400 mile range is when the pack is new with NO degradation.

So take a car like our MY LR, starting with about 330 miles to start. Real world usable capacity is about 220 mile on the highway if I am charged to 80% and don't run it below 10% not even factoring in cold weather or towing.

My hope with the our MS LR on order, that I could get a realistic 300 miles on the highway at 75-80 mph with maybe using the AC and in fairly warm weather. At least for the first year or two until the pack starts to degrade.

Most people transitioning into a BEV are in for a rude awakening once they start to understand the nuances and caveats around the stated range. Battery degradation on a Ford we have at 100k miles has been close to 45%. To really get anywhere with it, we had to charge to 100% all the time and pretty much down to under 10% every day on most days. Tesla seems a better in that area but reading about how they limited charging rate on the 85 packs is a bit discouraging too.

After a week of PPF and ceramic I got the car back today. After being somewhat hesitant getting a 2021 I could not be happier. Everything about the car is great. The PPF guy said the paint was as good as any car he has seen even with all the exotics in Scottsdale. Gaps and very good and consistent. I did see the distortion in the rear window but it is only the bottom 2 inches and I had to really search for it. The PPF is Expel and there are NO SEAMS ... amazing job. First time for PPF for me and I am really impressed. 2 Model S's really fill up a garage.
Congrats on your car. I also have a 2021 and couldn’t be happier.

Side note, my PPF installer called me right after I dropped off the car asking me if I had the car ceramic coated because of the way the water was immediately beading up and running off during the prewash. I was shocked by the question because I hadn’t done anything to the car since picking it up from Tesla with 6 miles on it.

I wonder if Tesla has a new paint process (build date 11/10) because this shop has done several Model S refreshes before my car and hadn’t seen the hydrophobic effect from factory paint.