Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My credit approval expires for the 4th time this year.
SA that called me on the phone said “well if you have good credit you dont have to worry about it, but you will have to re run your credit or else we have to push you to the back of the line.”
However, I’m afraid too many inquires will impact my odds of approval. Is it possible to have them still make the car, deliver it and then once the car is at the tesla dealership to then run my credit? Instead of running my credit for the 5th time and then wait another 3 months for delay like that happened to me?
I heard you can do as “cash” payment and they will still put the order on que?
Switch your order to cash payment and then after you get a VIN and it is in transit switch to financing. Works like a charm. Rumor is you might even get your car faster.

Yes, you can pick any finance option (including cash), and your SA can always reset it later. If you pick cash, then once you're matched to a VIN call the SA to have them change it to finance, and fill it out then. That action won't unmatched you, so just wait until then.
Thank you! I will call SA and tell them im doing “cash” then. SA was trying to push me to run credit again like - so you can tell me its been delayed till April? Ya no.

I got mine (in NJ) from the NJ MVC website. Ordered from there, waited for what felt like an eternity, and one day my custom plates showed up in the mail, lol
Thank you. I take that to mean it is completely independent of Tesla or even getting the car. Pay whatever, get the car with the paper temp tags, then sometime later real plates come, and kinda toss them, for when new special order plates come. something like that I guess.

FWIW, Three Plaids at Mt. Kisco SC for delivery today. One was NF, other two were MF. NF was Black w/ white. MFs were blue and MSM.

Also, my EDD was updated overnight. After rejecting my Frankenstein Plaid after Thanksgiving, I placed a hold through Jan 7th due to holiday travel. My EDD populated Jan 31-Feb 28.
@impastu I call mine the "FrankenPlaid," for short! 🤣

How have things been? I missed the last 75 pages. I got hit with Covid and spent 5 days with a fever over 101. Finally able to function again. My Tesla misses me. I can hear it quietly sobbing in the garage.
Welcome back. I actually searched for you to see which SSD you ordered, etc. - while at it, are you satisfied with it?

How have things been? I missed the last 75 pages. I got hit with Covid and spent 5 days with a fever over 101. Finally able to function again. My Tesla misses me. I can hear it quietly sobbing in the garage.
I was away for a few days as well, looks like they decided to change up the UI here to hide useful information, like how many thousand more likes @2021plaid got while I was away, haha.

Jokes aside, glad to see you're feeling better.

Welcome back. I actually searched for you to see which SSD you ordered, etc. - while at it, are you satisfied with it?
I keep getting an error saying my SSD is not plugged in, and I cannot figure out how to solve that problem. This is apparently a common issue with Tesla. So right now I would say I am not satisfied. 😛

After over a year of waiting, I finally picked up my Plaid/Blue/White last week. Easily the worst car buying experience I've ever had.

Just on the pickup experience: When we picked up my 2014 S it was sitting in the showroom with a bow on, and a couple people were there to immediately help us and spent awhile going over everything with us. This time it was just sitting in the lot jammed in with a bunch of service cars, I waited around awhile and then they basically told me to hit the button on the app and go. The service panel under the screen was hanging down and there was a plastic piece in one of the door pockets that I still don't know where it goes.

Tesla is in a unique position now where there car is in a different league from everything else on the market. That's not going to be the case in a year or two and if they don't reverse there customer service, they're going to lose a ton of customers.

Congrats on your car. I also have a 2021 and couldn’t be happier.

Side note, my PPF installer called me right after I dropped off the car asking me if I had the car ceramic coated because of the way the water was immediately beading up and running off during the prewash. I was shocked by the question because I hadn’t done anything to the car since picking it up from Tesla with 6 miles on it.

I wonder if Tesla has a new paint process (build date 11/10) because this shop has done several Model S refreshes before my car and hadn’t seen the hydrophobic effect from factory paint.
I saw similar when I took the car to do a quick wash. Wax?

You are going to see more posts about issues than posts about no issues. It is human nature. If you can "pre-inspect" your car before your delivery date, maybe that can help edge your decision one way or another.
Pre-inspect is good but the issue is making the decision to wait another 1-4 months for a second VIN and the crap shoot that the quality for that one will be. To be frank, I put the pressure back on the Tesla team to fix all that is found. I don't wait for a service appointment. I tell them I want it addressed now. Obviously there is a breaking point for accepting the car. But for less significant issues press on them. Cost of poor quality is pain for somebody and I like to share the pain.

I saw similar when I took the car to do a quick wash. Wax?
Definitely possible Tesla did that at the service center. When I first saw my car sitting in the parking lot 2 days before my scheduled delivery it was already washed and spotless. I was shocked because I expected to find a dusty mess.

Well........I sorta agree with him.......in the summer. When I bought my car in 2018, it was rated at 315 miles. Almost 4 years later it seems to think it has anywhere from 300 to 305 miles on any given day. But the way I drive my car now (after having "experienced" many launches for myself and friends), I regularly get from 370-395 on a full charge, depending. Now THAT is in the summer. In the winter, it would be nice to have the longer ranges now seen from the newer cars because of the ambient temperature being lower. Especially on MY car as it utilizes electric resistance heat instead of the current heat pumps. In the summer, I get around 260-280 wh/m and in the winter (if I remember) that figure rises to 310-340. Yeah...I know I could cut that back somewhat by not using the heater and instead just using the seat heaters, but my wife enjoys being comfortable and I only keep the heater at 70° in the winter. And of course, I have free unlimited supercharging which will go the way of the Thylacine as soon as I pull the trigger on that Plaid+ with 4680s. 😁😁

You can get 260-280 wh/m with a P100D? Are you just city driving or what? I don't think I can hit that at 55mph steady state on the highway.

You can get 260-280 wh/m with a P100D? Are you just city driving or what? I don't think I can hit that at 55mph steady state on the highway.
Combination of city and highway driving. You have to be judicious at acceleration, have your tires aired up to recommended cold tire pressure at all times, and play the game of anticipation. Anticipate the stop sign 3/4 mile away and feather the throttle so that you are either regenerating a small amount for a long time or feather it so that you neither use energy or regenerate it. And then slowly regenerate as you approach the stop sign to recoup as much energy as possible. You can do this approaching stop lights as well if you know when they will turn green as you approach. I'm retired and travel mostly the same roads so it's become second nature to me. Of course these techniques shouldn't be applied if a car following you looks like it's trying to park in your hatch? And it's probably tough if you're in an unfamiliar part of town, or another town and you don't know how far away stop signs or stop lights are? But most people don't realize that you can recoup more energy by regenerating at an small amount over a long period than waiting until you are 60 feet from the stop sign and regenerating at max.

I keep getting an error saying my SSD is not plugged in, and I cannot figure out how to solve that problem. This is apparently a common issue with Tesla. So right now I would say I am not satisfied. 😛
thanks, sorry to hear. I keep perseverating (i love that word!) - i bought an SSD, which i then cancelled (may still get delivered). Then I bought 2 endurance max or something like that SD cards, and adapters - one card is 32gb for music, and the adapter cost $1 more than the card! the other one is 256gb, and rated for heat, cold and a lot of writes and extreme conditions.
reviewer or pontiff one says ssd is the way to go, avoid sd (tf) cards
reviewer or pontiff two says ssds are bad, and sd (tf) cards are "the way"
i'm completely confused.
i will say, the tesla manual talked about SD cards and NOT ssd.
SO, i'm hoping the SD card works, and if not, i'll return it. another option, is get a new sd card every year for safety - i want sentry footage when i need it, like if an old lady backs into my bumper....

Has anyone figured out this issue with USAA qualifying the LR as Model S Performance? They’re refusing to work with me on this.
I just spoke with USAA again. My VIN is simply listed as a "Model S". Originally they had it listed as a Model S Performance. They said they do not have the ability to change what the vehicle is called. They input the VIN to determine it's name, and what they are fed is what they call it. That doesn't match up against the fact that they changed mine from Performance to nothing.

So according to USAA, the only way to fix your car model name is to go to a different insurance company.

Update on my MSLR RN11518 delivery. I looked last night in the app and it said that the car would be delivered to my home on Thursday (12/9) between 8AM and noon. I called to confirm since I was originally told I had to pick it up in Fremont. They are going to drop it in my driveway and run away -- contactless delivery. I can't unlock the car until I make payment. I was told I had 24 hours to report any issues. They were not able to give me any information about missing items (USB, etc.).

Do I enter my ACH information now or wait until I can at least see the exterior of the car?

P.S. Still no text, email, call from them.

• Informative
Reactions: rdmdriving