Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. That’s is the way. They won’t cancel your order without discussing with you unless you explicitly state you want to cancel.

2x means I’ve turned down my allocated order after getting a VIN twice already because of travels.

That is insane, and I am kind of pissed off. I have waited for the S for more than 6 months with a large number of delivery date changes, and the last delivery date was Feb. It suddenly changed to a few days later and only gave me 3 days to pick up the vehicle. I am traveling abroad, and it is impossible for me to buy another flight ticket to fly back immediately only for the vehicle.

My order was put on hold, and the VIN was removed. I planed to be back to the U.S. in Jan. The representative told me that I may need to wait another few weeks or until the end of the quarter to get another VIN assigned (what?) after I remove the hold.

May I know how long it took for you to get the second VIN assigned from the time you removed the hold? Is it at the end of the quarter? Is it a refreshed model S LR?

Thanks!

I roll around in chill 90% of the time now that I understand the battery drain of insane
You do realize that battery consumption is directly related to how hard you step on the throttle. Chill mode will not use any less power than ludicrous or insane mode if you accelerate at the same rate. You do understand this, right?

That is insane, and I am kind of pissed off. I have waited for the S for more than 6 months with a large number of delivery date changes, and the last delivery date was Feb. It suddenly changed to a few days later and only gave me 3 days to pick up the vehicle. I am traveling abroad, and it is impossible for me to buy another flight ticket to fly back immediately only for the vehicle.

My order was put on hold, and the VIN was removed. I planed to be back to the U.S. in Jan. The representative told me that I may need to wait another few weeks or until the end of the quarter to get another VIN assigned (what?) after I remove the hold.

May I know how long it took for you to get the second VIN assigned from the time you removed the hold? Is it at the end of the quarter? Is it a refreshed model S LR?

Thanks!
I have done it twice now due to travel. Seems like it is about a 3-4 week process to get a new VIN.

People have been worrying about "lack of demand" for years yet Tesla has been increasing production by 50+% a year and still has a growing backlog of orders. They just stopped taking orders for S and X outside of North America to try to control demand.
Yeah, exactly. There's no surplus, there is only production planning, delivery planning, etc. At some point it's prudent to maximize ROI on all aspects of the business rather than just scattershot cars out like Tesla has done for so many years. It's more cost beneficial to get 20 cars to one geography than to ship those 20 cars all over the country.

I'm certain Tesla is well aware they would benefit immensely from having some inventory for sales to pull from.

Thanks!
My history is below. I’ve been getting VINs more frequently than desired. To be clear, I want my car, but travels (mostly overseas) and the short notifications to schedule delivery have made this untenable. I fully expect to be driving my Plaid no later than February. That’s almost 1.5 years after the original reservation date. :)

1639514319613.png

I would respectfully disagree with that sentiment. The "new" America stills needs inventory and the reason behind all the inflationary issues right now is a dearth of that inventory, regardless of what it is.
The point is that most other dealers no longer have that inventory, at least not around where I live. There are very few cars to buy on lots these days. That may change in the future but supply is very limited on a lot of components. That supply issue is showing manufacturers that they do not have to deal with over production and they can just raise the price and keep profit the same with limited inventory. Competition and a different approach will solve it (at some point)

The point is that most other dealers no longer have that inventory, at least not around where I live. There are very few cars to buy on lots these days. That may change in the future but supply is very limited on a lot of components. That supply issue is showing manufacturers that they do not have to deal with over production and they can just raise the price and keep profit the same with limited inventory. Competition and a different approach will solve it (at some point)
New car inventories have dropped from about 100 days to 20 days. That's still a lot of cars. Dealers are definitely taking advantage of the situation to jack up prices. I don't think anyone is happy with the current situation; not even the dealers who are charging more... they want more inventory so they can sell more cars.

Did you have vibration issues, seems like that would be pretty obvious?
There was a very slight vibration in the steering at highway speed upon delivery that went away after 1000 miles. Nothing in the rear end. Tesla does not have replacement tires. They of course dont care as that is not their specialty!! LOL only because crying doesn't help.

The dealers are who are raising prices the most, much more than manufacturers. Manufacturers are raising their prices, yes, but not nearly to the degree of the actual dealer body. Even Tesla, who have raised their prices more than the average auto manufacturer this year, is not raising them to the extent a dealer does at the moment. The dealers have to do this, as you mentioned, they have no inventory.

For example, the new Ford Bronco. Ford is not able to raise the price on it, they are stuck at their price with perhaps a small percentage increase over months. The dealer wants $50k over for the vehicle. The dealer profits way more than Ford does on this vehicle. If Ford was able to fill the pipeline with inventory, the dealer base would drop the pricing to MSRP or somewhere close, customers would be happy to get their vehicles (which in turn creates more demand for the vehicle), dealers would be profitable (less per unit, but way more volume), and a healthy market is established.

60 days inventory is not overproduction, it is an ideal supply to feed a healthy market. Conflating how the market is currently with an ideal situation is not representative of a new America or a healthy market.

All of this is to say that I still do not believe for a minute that 20ish Plaids in a major metro area is anywhere near indicating supply meeting demand.

The dealers are who are raising prices the most, much more than manufacturers. Manufacturers are raising their prices, yes, but not nearly to the degree of the actual dealer body. Even Tesla, who have raised their prices more than the average auto manufacturer this year, is not raising them to the extent a dealer does at the moment. The dealers have to do this, as you mentioned, they have no inventory.

For example, the new Ford Bronco. Ford is not able to raise the price on it, they are stuck at their price with perhaps a small percentage increase over months. The dealer wants $50k over for the vehicle. The dealer profits way more than Ford does on this vehicle. If Ford was able to fill the pipeline with inventory, the dealer base would drop the pricing to MSRP or somewhere close, customers would be happy to get their vehicles (which in turn creates more demand for the vehicle), dealers would be profitable (less per unit, but way more volume), and a healthy market is established.

60 days inventory is not overproduction, it is an ideal supply to feed a healthy market. Conflating how the market is currently with an ideal situation is not representative of a new America or a healthy market.

All of this is to say that I still do not believe for a minute that 20ish Plaids in a major metro area is anywhere near indicating supply meeting demand.
Dealers raise the price and most consumers blame on manufacturers. So for the dealers they have little to lose.

New car inventories have dropped from about 100 days to 20 days. That's still a lot of cars. Dealers are definitely taking advantage of the situation to jack up prices. I don't think anyone is happy with the current situation; not even the dealers who are charging more... they want more inventory so they can sell more cars.
Exactly. It is not healthy customer relations to charge, say, $100k over MSRP for a G63. yet that's where we're at. But a dealer's G&A costs haven't come down. Any dealer with half a brain knows that there will be hell to pay when the debacle is over and that same person with the $100k over G63 is trying to trade it on on something and is $150k upside down, there will be a major problem.

Inventory supplies will increase back to that 50-100 day mark over time because that's how many vehicles are needed in the pipeline to not lose sales to competitors, whimsical customer purchases, or any other reason a manufacturer (not dealer) may lose a sale. 50-100 day supply is market demand driven, not supply.

Ford dealer in my town asking $90k for a bronco. WTAF

Ford dealer in my town asking $90k for a bronco. WTAF
Yeah, it's insane. I bought a First Edition but ordered it the second I could and got it for MSRP. The other one the dealer had they sold for $50k over. That's basically $125k for a Bronco! o_O No way...no way. In a year from now that person is so screwed. The damn thing will depreciate the amount of an entire other one of the same vehicle! That's (almost) worse than buying anything that says AMG on it! 😆

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah, it's insane. I bought a First Edition but ordered it the second I could and got it for MSRP. The other one the dealer had they sold for $50k over. That's basically $125k for a Bronco! o_O No way...no way. In a year from now that person is so screwed. The damn thing will depreciate the amount of an entire other one of the same vehicle! That's (almost) worse than buying anything that says AMG on it! 😆
Seriously. Remember those E55 AMGs from last decade. They lost 80% value in first 24
months. I recall someone on TMC recalling similar with their E55 AMG

Edit: 80% may be exaggeration

Just found a pretty big hairline scratch on my windshield of the Plaid I took delivery of on Sunday. Wondering if I should schedule a service appointment, it's definitely annoying but im not sure if it's worth replacing the whole windshield over....wish i never noticed it lol
Really depends where the scratch is. Get a picture and post here. If in the critical area of the windshield, 8.5 by 11.5, directly in the driver's view, it must be replaced no matter how old the car is. If it is not but you see it in your new car, tell them you want it fixed and to order a new windshield! Was your money that you gave for this car scratched?