Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This part was in my center console when I picked up the car. anyone have any idea what it is?

A1F9D5C7-63D3-4580-8BEE-90BACB6C8191.jpeg
F46DF309-562C-4BBB-BEFE-91C0D971E011.jpeg

Just to stay off topic, someone had offered an opinion of ceramic coating on top of ppf vs a spray on sealant like griots. Thoughts?

On topic, repairs to paint completed by tesla to a satisfactory level. Getting PPF and tint currently.
I’d say if it’s a full car ppf, you don’t need professionally done ceramic on top. In my opinion, the best consumer detailer spray is gtechniq’s C2V3.

And I’m an expert! Why? Because in 7 years with my old model S, I got not one swirl… not one! I went through the entire lot of sealants!

Use that after you wash and you’re in great shape

Seriously. Remember those E55 AMGs from last decade. They lost 80% value in first 24
months. I recall someone on TMC recalling similar with their E55 AMG

Edit: 80% may be exaggeration
I honestly believe that in the next 10 years the entire idea of a dealer will change. Success of the Tesla business model, other OEMs figuring out how to go consumer direct and still use dealers will help with this accelerated change. I agree that the dealers are causing most of the problems, capitalizing on lack of supply. I guess supply and demand rules apply but that just means I refuse to participate and buy something out of balance.

I honestly believe that in the next 10 years the entire idea of a dealer will change. Success of the Tesla business model, other OEMs figuring out how to go consumer direct and still use dealers will help with this accelerated change. I agree that the dealers are causing most of the problems, capitalizing on lack of supply. I guess supply and demand rules apply but that just means I refuse to participate and buy something out of balance.
Legacy auto will have a hard time getting rid of dealers. They are well protected by law and very profitable.

Tesla’s model is far from a success, unless you think 2-3-4 week wait times for service and lackluster delivery prep of vehicles is a “success”

Tesla’s model is far from a success, unless you think 2-3-4 week wait times for service and lackluster delivery prep of vehicles is a “success”
But if you consider how much influence Tesla has had over massive change in the car buying, production, and service I’d argue they are a success.

It’s messy, no doubt. But when history looks back in 100 years from now, the story will be written that in a just a few years this company completely upended the automotive industry. A 100+ year old, deeply entrenched, massive machine of an industry completely changed by one company, while simultaneously becoming one of the most valuable companies on the planet.

But if you consider how much influence Tesla has had over massive change in the car buying, production, and service I’d argue they are a success.

It’s messy, no doubt. But when history looks back in 100 years from now, the story will be written that in a just a few years this company completely upended the automotive industry. A 100+ year old, deeply entrenched, massive machine of an industry completely changed by one company, while simultaneously becoming one of the most valuable companies on the planet.
Exactly. Even Ford's CEO basically admitted that the direct sales model was better:

What changes have they influenced in the auto industry in regards to production and service?

I’m not arguing that Tesla’s model can’t be better, I’m saying right now it’s garbage, it used to be great but the fact that they did not scale their service center and staff growth with their growing sales resulted in a terrible post purchase experience.

Anyone sitting at EOQ with small window have any movement? I'm starting to feel that I'm about to be bumped out to Jan/Feb in the next few days. There's no way they're going to be assigning me a VIN and deliver the car in Chicago in <10 days unless it's a reject car. I don't know how to feel, happy to have an EDD within 2 weeks of now, or pissed that they're likely to miss it and it'll be another month and a half until delivery at least.

The dealers are who are raising prices the most, much more than manufacturers. Manufacturers are raising their prices, yes, but not nearly to the degree of the actual dealer body. Even Tesla, who have raised their prices more than the average auto manufacturer this year, is not raising them to the extent a dealer does at the moment. The dealers have to do this, as you mentioned, they have no inventory.

For example, the new Ford Bronco. Ford is not able to raise the price on it, they are stuck at their price with perhaps a small percentage increase over months. The dealer wants $50k over for the vehicle. The dealer profits way more than Ford does on this vehicle. If Ford was able to fill the pipeline with inventory, the dealer base would drop the pricing to MSRP or somewhere close, customers would be happy to get their vehicles (which in turn creates more demand for the vehicle), dealers would be profitable (less per unit, but way more volume), and a healthy market is established.

60 days inventory is not overproduction, it is an ideal supply to feed a healthy market. Conflating how the market is currently with an ideal situation is not representative of a new America or a healthy market.

All of this is to say that I still do not believe for a minute that 20ish Plaids in a major metro area is anywhere near indicating supply meeting demand.
First, There is no such thing as a Tesla Dealer. Tesla sell directly to the consumer. There are Tesla sales, service centers and show rooms around most major population centers. Currently there are 35 Tesla Model S Plaids sitting in Sales centers in Boston and New York. This is indicative of a developing Glut of MS Plaids and is undoubtedly caused by the high profit margins associated with MS Plaid. Tesla will soon cut production of MS Plaids and make more MS LR's to avoid becoming over inventoried in Plaids and causing problems with the Analysts, which will affect share price. If you are waiting in line for a MS Refresh expect delivery this spring at the latest. IMO Tesla's waiting list for MS Refresh, both Plaid and LR, is going to fade into the dust bin of history.
P.S. If you don't believe my numbers go into the Tesla web site and count 'em.

What changes have they influenced in the auto industry in regards to production and service?

I’m not arguing that Tesla’s model can’t be better, I’m saying right now it’s garbage, it used to be great but the fact that they did not scale their service center and staff growth with their growing sales resulted in a terrible post purchase experience.

The new app allows for additional service comments to be made.

That doesn't mean the SvC experience will improve anytime soon, but now you can vent easier...

First, There is no such thing as a Tesla Dealer. Tesla sell directly to the consumer. There are Tesla sales, service centers and show rooms around most major population centers. Currently there are 35 Tesla Model S Plaids sitting in Sales centers in Boston and New York. This is indicative of a developing Glut of MS Plaids and is undoubtedly caused by the high profit margins associated with MS Plaid. Tesla will soon cut production of MS Plaids and make more MS LR's to avoid becoming over inventoried in Plaids and causing problems with the Analysts, which will affect share price. If you are waiting in line for a MS Refresh expect delivery this spring at the latest. IMO Tesla's waiting list for MS Refresh, both Plaid and LR, is going to fade into the dust bin of history.
P.S. If you don't believe my numbers go into the Tesla web site and count 'em.

Many visitors to a local Store know nothing about the MS.

I imagine once a few excess plaids make it to a store showroom, a small percentage of MY buyers might be tempted to move up to a MS.

It seems that Tesla is only interested in sales numbers and not service. However, I’m have a mobile appointment tomorrow for a Homelink module installation and I only had to wait a week.

I might have my Plaid delivery event badge installed too. My neighbor called the MY plain. 🦚