Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why oh why did I check?, the monkey giveth and the monkey taketh. My vin and appointment are gone. My mvpa is still there, with the vin, and now I’m back to an EDD of 12/30 to 12/31.
so, I don’t believe I’ll be pushed back a zillion months, just…weird. Maybe they read the notes that I couldn’t take delivery before the 31st?
doesn’t really matter, and maybe this vin will resume. I already got the insurance card, but no biggie, and got the loan squared away, so I’m fine. Just…confused.

Why oh why did I check?, the monkey giveth and the monkey taketh. My vin and appointment are gone. My mvpa is still there, with the vin, and now I’m back to an EDD of 12/30 to 12/31.
so, I don’t believe I’ll be pushed back a zillion months, just…weird. Maybe they read the notes that I couldn’t take delivery before the 31st?
doesn’t really matter, and maybe this vin will resume. I already got the insurance card, but no biggie, and got the loan squared away, so I’m fine. Just…confused.
Hang in there @IamGaryGnu, your time shall come and you will bask in the radiance of your new model S soon, if not later. Or........you can just wait until next year when they come out with the Plaid+ with 4680s and gimbal mounted electric driven screen with your choice of yoke or steering wheel?

Remember, they’ve got the bastard lot car earmarked for you. Hopefully you reserved the NJ plate “LAST MF”

Finally got wheels powder coated to match gloss black trim and they installed those generic flaps. and 25% tint.

Attachments

• 0E6C6566-2D79-4257-BB05-7582EBF27706.jpeg
    0E6C6566-2D79-4257-BB05-7582EBF27706.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 5BE3C08C-6D5F-43D0-893C-A6922DB79075.jpeg
    5BE3C08C-6D5F-43D0-893C-A6922DB79075.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 72
  • C866EC45-E439-491F-81BC-DEC4739DBDD0.jpeg
    C866EC45-E439-491F-81BC-DEC4739DBDD0.jpeg
    821 KB · Views: 67
  • 154FB6ED-28EB-496F-BAA5-A6D36CA963E2.jpeg
    154FB6ED-28EB-496F-BAA5-A6D36CA963E2.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 7A3A69E4-74CB-4DEF-9D1C-F22A40BC1BA6.jpeg
    7A3A69E4-74CB-4DEF-9D1C-F22A40BC1BA6.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 59E9415E-8E0D-41E1-BB6B-E0FAE4ED84B1.jpeg
    59E9415E-8E0D-41E1-BB6B-E0FAE4ED84B1.jpeg
    857.3 KB · Views: 73
I think I have everything set up now for delivery. A couple of things have changed since I first took a Model Y home for a test drive:

I had a hard time deciding between a Model 3, Model Y and Model S. It came down to what I was currently driving and what my wife is currently driving. I had a 2007 Porsche Cayman S that I tracked regularly, owned it for 11 years, the car was flawless and never gave me an issue. The wife debated getting a new Tesla as well, but decided she was going to keep her Macan instead. What settled it for me was seeing a Model S refresh and talking to the owner.

After deciding to order a Tesla, I settled on the Model S LR. My wife and I pored over the Tesla website putting together every combination and finally settled on a MSM/Cream/21" LR. I ordered it and settled in for the wait. Like everyone else probably did, I then went to YouTube to watch some videos.

Stupid YouTube!!! After watching plenty of Model S videos (remember I used to track my Porsche) I got suckered into changing my order to a Plaid. I say suckered, but really I did it to myself. This moved up my delivery date substantially. I needed to prepare.

I decided I was going to sell my car. I originally had thought of keeping it, but my wife made the point that I would probably rarely drive it after getting a Model S. I agreed with her and took a look at Carvana, Craigslist and thought about just trading it in. Carvana gave me a quote of $19K, I thought... meh. I figured Tesla would give me even less, so I went to Craigslist to sell it. Craigslist wanted $5 to list. Now, it sounds silly to buy a $140K car, sell a Porsche and balk at paying Craigslist $5, but I did. Facebook Marketplace to the rescue. I listed my car and within two minutes had an offer. Now, it was from one of those wholesale car places. I had thoughts to sell to another Porsche enthusiast, but that went out the window when they offered me more than Carvana did, sight unseen. Facebook Marketplace isn't gonna get you top dollar and you do lose out on taxes when you private sell, at least here in Texas. I parted with my car of 11 years for cash and went home to watch more Model S videos.

After constantly refreshing the Tesla App, the delivery date changed from December to 21-28 December. Then the VIN populated. Once the VIN was established, I shopped around for a loan. I settled on USAA, probably not the absolute lowest interest rate I could get, but I do my banking with them and decided that was the way to go. Settling the difference between the loan from USAA with the downpayment I intended to make, the next thing to do was get insurance.

I'm going to have to get a quote from Tesla Insurance, but for the meantime I added the Plaid to my insurance coverage. Let me just say it was a LOT! Like double what I was paying for my old Porsche. The insurance agent was quick to point out that the Plaid is four and a half times more expensive than my Cayman when I first purchased it but I didn't think the insurance on this car was going to be quite that expensive. I'll shop around after delivery, but for now I've got an insurance policy effective the three days prior to delivery as instructed.

Getting a 14-50 plug installed in the garage was the next step, that has been accomplished as well. I called some local electricians to get quotes for installing a plug, most were higher than what some buddies said they paid. I ended up calling the place that installed my theater equipment, they put the plug in below my circuit breaker boxes. They had to modify the boxes for a free circuit breaker. That drove the price up a slight bit, but the installation was very clean. I'm a little bummed it's on the opposite side of the car in the garage, eventually I may look into the actual Tesla charger. I guess that depends on if anyone else in the family gets a Tesla or not.

I'm going to download an inspection checklist, taking my wife with her scrutinizing eye to the delivery is the plan. Talking to the Tesla Advisor, looks like everything has been accomplished, nothing to do but wait for Delivery Day.
Update to the delivery process:

This morning I received an email from Tesla Support requesting a copy of my Funding Letter from USAA. I photocopied it, attached it to the email and sent it off. I received further emails requesting my wife's driver's license and email to add her to the registration as she was on the financing paperwork. An overlook on my part, I should've added her to the Tesla account from the beginning. After both of us digitally signing the agreement paperwork, I received a text and email saying my financial paperwork is complete and to continue checking the Tesla app for possible updates to my delivery. Later would be bad, earlier would be good.

I also received a text asking me to schedule a registration appointment for approximately 25 days after delivery. It stated I should receive my self-registration paperwork via UPS about 10-15 business days after delivery and warning that late fees may be incurred if registration occurs later than 30 days after delivery.

A quick check of the Tesla app shows delivery is still scheduled for 28 December.

Time to schedule an appointment for the front half of the car to receive protective film and window tint.

Update! The car that was initially scheduled for Dec 22nd delivery got here early!! In theory I will have it tomorrow afternoon! Does anyone have that checklist at hand, I was waiting since the Jan 17th and I will be sure that I have these the last duck behaving.... whatever that means.

MSLR Red/Blk/21/FSD/NF
Congrats! My delivery is scheduled for 26th of Dec but Tesla SA told me my car is still in transit and the ETA is 21st. So I hope mine will arrive sooner just like yours! This is the checklist I will use Wiki - Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

My EDD December 27 - 31. No VIN yet. :-(
Same boat. Did get a text yesterday saying the following

"
Hello. This is Tesla and we are excited to connect as we're looking forward to getting you behind the wheel soon!
As you may know, Tesla has an amazing trade-in program. Were you planning on trading in your current vehicle? We can help get you set up with a free offer today.
If you would like to do that, please provide us with the trade-in information
-Trade-in VIN,
-Trade-in odometer,
-Your ZIP,
so that we enter that into your Tesla account. After your final offer will be posted, you would be able to accept or decline the final trade in offer.
If you are not interested in trading in, just reply "NO".
Thank you! And have a wonderful day!"

Has to be a positive sign

I think the fact you hinted you might not be available for delivery led to this. The one I picked up was offered to me the day it arrived at the sc which means they knew it will not be picked up upfront.
I hear you. Also possible financing fell through on that one so they knew one of 3 days didn't matter, or also possible person changed mind or asked for a delay.
I'm actually relieved, I needed a few days. Hope not too many!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I hear you. Also possible financing fell through on that one so they knew one of 3 days didn't matter, or also possible person changed mind or asked for a delay.
I'm actually relieved, I needed a few days. Hope not too many!
Here in Austin the pickup center is in a parking lot of a massive church near Tesla. Have you thought of having a friend video around the outside so you can see it then accepting it in the app without physically being there in person? You could then drive it away once you get back.

If you didn’t have a friend to do that you could always accept delivery from the app sight unseen then document all the fixes when you arrive (obviously more risky).

I had to accept delivery in the app then use the app to unlock the doors before I could inspect the inside. I drove to the “pickup center” (the pic is of my car but you can see it’s just a parking lot full of Teslas), did a walk around, then accepted delivery from the app. There wasn’t a Tesla employee in sight either time I was there.

Attachments

• 6CBD9FB1-5892-4CEB-97A0-91847670006A.jpeg
    6CBD9FB1-5892-4CEB-97A0-91847670006A.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 72
I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed the windshield in direct sunlight. It looks crystal clear when I’m not driving into the sun but looks like this when I am.
Yes, absolutely. Especially when driving directly into the sun. It seems there’s a hazy film on the inside. Was like that at delivery and I’m trying to live with it. Some have said 99% alcohol would remove it. I’m afraid it’s built into the glass for some reason.