Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s very logical reasoning and is along the the line of what I thought for years with the legacy manufacturers. But what it does not account for and is an incredibly important factor is corporate culture. Both Tesla’s and the new EV companies and the legacy manufacturers. I think this will be a critical factor, more than meets the eye.
agreed - politics politics politics. A lot of what we eat, drink, consume, should never have been allowed. i think a lot of us products are banned in europe. i mean seriously, i drank some diet coke yesterday (we were out of my usual stuff) and i know you can use that to clean toilets, shine pennies, etc. - and there's plenty more.
tobacco has no redeeming health qualities (i know, some folks enjoy it overall, or else if you smoke versus eat you can be thinner) but to ADD nicotine that makes is more addictive? not cool.
I can see the legacy makers forcing the government's hands.
heck, how was Tesla excluded from the EV conferences? They should have been giving keynote addresses.

Exactly. Reminded me of the Roadrunner versus rattlesnake analogy in this video. The rattlesnake has been killing birds for years. So when it sees a roadrunner, it thinks it's just another bird. It thinks it will easily destroy it. But this time it's different. This is a different bird.

This is why Tesla, Ford and maybe VW will unfortunately likely be the only legacy car makers left in ten year's time. Maybe GM too, and I hope so, but I dunno. If the Chinese do in fact arrive and do really well (which I have my doubts of in America tbh), then Tesla will be the only American manufacturer able to beat the Chinese as well.
I slightly disagree (i hate to, you're the giver of likes, dammit!)
the chinese are already here. and they're kicking names and taking arse (i re-watched a tad of infinity war)
Polestar 2. Not a Tesla killer, but as I said to my buddy who let me drive his, "If i never heard of, saw, or locked into Tesla, i'd get one of these in a minute"
it was a GREAT car.
I think Tesla is greater. bestest. okay, better.
The PS2 did a lot right, and some stupid things. growing pains? (completely unusable second cup holder for example) and then little things that are interesting, like logo projected onto the roof. Their UI is decent and improving. No carplay yet, but coming in an OTA update. Unlimited charging on the EV network for i think a year.
when you fire it up with the key, the tail lights go through a nice patterned sequence.
It feels overall like a premium experience (except for my fabric critique below, and i didn't see it in person)
Polestar is jointly owned by Volvo and their CHINESE parent company, Geely.
you can actually order and get one in like 3 weeks. my buddy's was about $65k if i recall, and it had the leather upgrade.
i think their website is garbage, the interior fabric if you don't get leather looks like doody, etc. - but the performance and experience was top notch, and the reviews say better quality than Tesla. Let's agree better quality control than Tesla (I think the Edsel had better quality control).
It's about the size of a 3, and I just saw a blurb searching for it that it is about the price of a 3.
(looks better, but i'd rather get a 3)
anyway, this is the underdog, and it is really good. I think T will have some real competition in the next few years.
They're light years ahead of everyone else, but like i was saying earlier in the thread, it took Tesla however long to pioner, and how long for Sandy Monroe or Volvo/Geely, GM, Ford to break down, reverse engineer, etc. - that is a HUGE boost to them.
just my .02

I slightly disagree (i hate to, you're the giver of likes, dammit!)
the chinese are already here. and they're kicking names and taking arse (i re-watched a tad of infinity war)
Polestar 2. Not a Tesla killer, but as I said to my buddy who let me drive his, "If i never heard of, saw, or locked into Tesla, i'd get one of these in a minute"
it was a GREAT car.
I think Tesla is greater. bestest. okay, better.
The PS2 did a lot right, and some stupid things. growing pains? (completely unusable second cup holder for example) and then little things that are interesting, like logo projected onto the roof. Their UI is decent and improving. No carplay yet, but coming in an OTA update. Unlimited charging on the EV network for i think a year.
when you fire it up with the key, the tail lights go through a nice patterned sequence.
It feels overall like a premium experience (except for my fabric critique below, and i didn't see it in person)
Polestar is jointly owned by Volvo and their CHINESE parent company, Geely.
you can actually order and get one in like 3 weeks. my buddy's was about $65k if i recall, and it had the leather upgrade.
i think their website is garbage, the interior fabric if you don't get leather looks like doody, etc. - but the performance and experience was top notch, and the reviews say better quality than Tesla. Let's agree better quality control than Tesla (I think the Edsel had better quality control).
It's about the size of a 3, and I just saw a blurb searching for it that it is about the price of a 3.
(looks better, but i'd rather get a 3)
anyway, this is the underdog, and it is really good. I think T will have some real competition in the next few years.
They're light years ahead of everyone else, but like i was saying earlier in the thread, it took Tesla however long to pioner, and how long for Sandy Monroe or Volvo/Geely, GM, Ford to break down, reverse engineer, etc. - that is a HUGE boost to them.
just my .02
I looked at the Polestar as well. I think it was their commercials I was seeing that actually made me interested in getting an Electric Vehicle. A lot of people at work drive a Tesla, but I honestly wasnt that interested. Looking into the Polestar made me do more research and of course I couldn't ignore all the advantages Tesla enjoys over the other options out there.

Considered the Lucid as well, but I couldn't get over the exterior and how much it looked like a Chevy Cruz or Malibu. For an expensive luxury car, it's decidedly budget on the outside. This is of course without seeing it in person.

So I was away for a week, anything fun happen since then?

A short exchange between me and my wife that the forum might find funny:
Me: who's driving?
Wife: You can, and you can take my car.
Me: Well, if I'm driving, I'm going to take my car.
Wife: You don't like my car?? (she has a new Y LR)
Me: I do like your car a lot, but I wouldn't have spent nearly 3x the cost on mine if I didn't like it better 😄😂🤣

I looked at the Polestar as well. I think it was their commercials I was seeing that actually made me interested in getting an Electric Vehicle. A lot of people at work drive a Tesla, but I honestly wasnt that interested. Looking into the Polestar made me do more research and of course I couldn't ignore all the advantages Tesla enjoys over the other options out there.

Considered the Lucid as well, but I couldn't get over the exterior and how much it looked like a Chevy Cruz or Malibu. For an expensive luxury car, it's decidedly budget on the outside. This is of course without seeing it in person.
But neither have a charging network to rival Tesla's....

I saw a Polestar for the first time in person yesterday, at a small deli I was at. You could see it out the window, and I overheard another guy in line ask what it was. Upon hearing it was electric, he then asked if it was fast, and marveled when the guy said it had 408hp. I love the look of the new MS and I like how they just make small design changes similar to what Porsche does with the 911 design, but maybe if they'd changed it just a BIT more the guy would've noticed that there was a +1000hp car parked right next to the Polestar too, haha.

I saw a Polestar for the first time in person yesterday, at a small deli I was at. You could see it out the window, and I overheard another guy in line ask what it was. Upon hearing it was electric, he then asked if it was fast, and marveled when the guy said it had 408hp. I love the look of the new MS and I like how they just make small design changes similar to what Porsche does with the 911 design, but maybe if they'd changed it just a BIT more the guy would've noticed that there was a +1000hp car parked right next to the Polestar too, haha.
Will be interested in seeing the next gen Polestar - one not built on an ICE platform. Exciting times as we all like "options" and competition!

I checked out a Lucid Air in a showroom near me, completely agree. The interior is actually pretty nice (sorry no pictures) but the exterior for sure looks like an older/budget car. I also HATE the look of the steering wheel...
PXL_20211123_192848853.jpg

funny, i thought lucid looked alright, then folks here started calling it an oldsmobile, and you know the saying, some things can't be unseen.
Both Polestar, and Lucid, have 2 of the worst websites i've seen.
I tried to drill down, mock order a car, etc. - and got frustrated and left.
then again, Tesla doesn't give you a slew of options, for better or worse.
I used to spend hours configuring my BMWs and then Benz on the site, to tweak them EXACTLY how I wanted - features and all.
for Polestar and Lucid, i think they spent their R&D budget anywhere but their websites.
BTW, I touted the Polestar earlier - and today my buddy told me 1) the battery range is really low in the code. Like warning message low, and he can't get more than 70% of the pack - and he has a longish drive later, so he's not happy. A deal killer on the PS2 for me was the range was okay, but I figured cold weather would clobber it, and 2) it lost LTE connection yet again - I think this is the 3rd time. When it loses LTE, he has to go to the service center to get it restored. a fix is forthcoming, but this has happened before. Im' not sure what else he loses without LTE, but it's enough to inconvenience him.
i expect those bugs to be worked out, but those are growing pains Tesla has been through, yet the other companies can catch up fairly quickly i'd say.

Small data point - I'm still waiting for my revoked VIN - whether same or new one.
Back to EDD of 12/30 to 12/31
saw yesterday's fly over, and it looks like a LOT of blue whites in the bastard lot - not sure if they're waiting for stuff, or room to move to the logistics lot. there's a lot of cars out there, in the overflow and delivery/logistics lot.
my wife's incoming Y got bumped again, from 2/28-3/28 to July. We're not in a rush, but I'm wondering if the Hertz deal is sucking a bunch of cars away, and if that is affecting the S - i.e. if we need some of the same computer components, etc. and there's a shortage, then Hertz may get say, 3 out of every 4 or 5 of the parts that are common to some or other models.
I THINK Hertz is getting 3's - that might share the cameras, HW 2.0, maybe AC or blower components, raw batteries, maybe motor components, maybe material for seats, and whatever else overlaps.

Tesla loan approved. That was quick! Waiting to hear back from credit union. Going to order and pick up my car all in the same week, I don't know how you guys stayed sane waiting for months.

Also, completely agree on the Lucid. When I see the exterior I see "Buick" but Oldsmobile works as well. And the silver roof make it worse somehow. I think the interior is more interesting, would like to see that in person. I think I prefer the big wide screen of the S but the Lucid seats look nice.

I checked out a Lucid Air in a showroom near me, completely agree. The interior is actually pretty nice (sorry no pictures) but the exterior for sure looks like an older/budget car. I also HATE the look of the steering wheel...View attachment 746244
It looks like a 180k Oldsmobile Aurora with no hips. It’s just such a failure of design.

funny, i thought lucid looked alright, then folks here started calling it an oldsmobile, and you know the saying, some things can't be unseen.
Both Polestar, and Lucid, have 2 of the worst websites i've seen.
I tried to drill down, mock order a car, etc. - and got frustrated and left.
then again, Tesla doesn't give you a slew of options, for better or worse.
I used to spend hours configuring my BMWs and then Benz on the site, to tweak them EXACTLY how I wanted - features and all.
for Polestar and Lucid, i think they spent their R&D budget anywhere but their websites.
BTW, I touted the Polestar earlier - and today my buddy told me 1) the battery range is really low in the code. Like warning message low, and he can't get more than 70% of the pack - and he has a longish drive later, so he's not happy. A deal killer on the PS2 for me was the range was okay, but I figured cold weather would clobber it, and 2) it lost LTE connection yet again - I think this is the 3rd time. When it loses LTE, he has to go to the service center to get it restored. a fix is forthcoming, but this has happened before. Im' not sure what else he loses without LTE, but it's enough to inconvenience him.
i expect those bugs to be worked out, but those are growing pains Tesla has been through, yet the other companies can catch up fairly quickly i'd say.
I think the question I have is, what makes you think they can catch up fairly quickly? They currently have the ability to tear down Teslas all they want. They can buy whatever one they want, reverse engineer whatever they can, and leapfrog their own development cycle.

Yet, they don't.

Not to mention, LTE connectivity is not something that should be an issue on any car. It's been around for years. What they're struggling with is the fragmented supplier chain trying to understand each other and make disparate systems work together. Whereas Tesla is vertically integrated, the systems do function with one another.

Or the MB that Autoweek drove...it seemed like a nightmare. Vehicles like that and Polestar are likely to push people away from EV adoption because they're a pain in the butt.

And this is just on the vehicle aspect. Nobody is even close when it comes to the Supercharger network. Not even in the realm. That's huge. I've considered a Taycan, drove the EQS, lived through a Bolt...and now every time I think of changing I stop in my tracks and just think of the SC network.

Tesla will have competition, there is no doubt. Their market share will erode, there's no alternative. But I'm not seeing the picture the same way you are in believing that the legacy manufacturers will catch up. I do not see any evidence it's happening.