Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just paid for the Model S online after getting the vin number tonight. Order was done a couple of weeks back but since I had placed it with my local service advisor and not directly online, the SA was able to assign me a vin. It was supposed to be July delivery but working with a SA is absolutely worth it , and at no additional cost to the buyer. I think they get some credit from tesla. He had done test drives on the Y and 3 for me.

Question. Now that I have already transferred the funds , what excuse can I use to not take delivery of the car until Jan 1st. Hoping the new tax bill for 2023 May again given EV discounts to Tesla if purchased in 2023. Thanks.
they'll hold the car 3 days, so iw ould make the appointment as far as out as possible, and then try to push the 3 day limite. that happened to me and i made an appoinment for 12/29 (the app was forcing me for 12/27, 12/28 or 12/29 and i will be out of the country, so i figured with the 29th i'd be good. if they have the car NOW you can't push it over.
and yeah, i was hoping for a small smidge of a tax break in 2022, i think unlikely, but if stalling for a day or 2 makes it a possibility, i think worth it

Maybe you can explain to @Hayseed_MS how to get into Dyno Mode and that will prevent him from having to full-charge his vehicle. You've got a Plaid - I wonder if there's a difference (if much) on the LR?
Unfortunately Dyno Mode is no longer available to us after Tesla removed access in a software update.

Okay so I picked the car up at 3:30 and have already put > 150 miles on it. Some thoughts...

Delivery Process
  • No waiting, greeted by multiple people who were very friendly
  • Delivery person informed me right away that key fobs and parcel shelf were missing and on backorder.
    • The trunk floor was present. Parcel shelf and left side cover missing.
    • When I got home I found 2 key fobs in the glove box.
  • I showed them the delivery checklist and said I would be a while and they encouraged me to take my time and give feedback
  • After inspection they made sure the app was set up and working. A tech came to look at my issues (more later) and was mostly supportive but didn't seem hugely knowledgable.
  • They told me multiple times to make sure feedback is in first 100 miles/24 hrs. This is just silly to me, I drove it 100 miles almost immediately.
Car Build Quality
  • Paint (MSM) is good overall.
    • There was one pretty bad road chip in front of driver's rear wheel. They touched it up on the spot and it is almost invisible now.
    • There is one very tiny scratch in the clear coat that I didn't even mention.
    • There is quite a bit of orange peel on the driver's side mirror
  • There is adhesive residue all over the place. They washed the car, it was wet, but they didn't get all the residue.
  • Panel gaps are pretty good. The hatch has a little bigger gap on the passenger side but it isn't bad. The tech that looked at it recommended I leave it alone as trying to adjust it might make it worse. I tend to agree with him.
  • No glass distortion that I could see.
  • The black trim between the doors on the passenger side was out of alignment. I pushed down on it firmly and it is much better now.
  • One of the taillights has a blemish on the inside. It is really minor.
  • Airbag worm is present.
  • Minor seat wrinkles, nothing so bad I want to risk having them work on it.
  • Light inside the console functions opposite of what makes sense. I know there are some posts in the forum about it, going to try to find them, it is pretty odd.
  • The front doors are hard to close. Tech said that is common with refresh S and will bet better over time, I guess we will see.
  • Software update was waiting for me, I started it when I got home and it failed. It is already re-downloading, hopefully it works this time.
  • No vibrations that I could feel. Will keep a look out.
Overall, I am very pleased with build quality. Given the stories in this thread I was expecting much worse. Maybe I will find more tomorrow.

My Opinions

I am coming from a 2017 MS 75.
  • This car is obviously a lot faster, which is great.
  • The interior is great, big improvement. I think white might have been more fun to get, I was just worried about jean transfer.
  • Seats are more comfortable.
  • The seatbelts feel extremely cheap. I don't know what it is but they feel very flimsy. The seatbelt button is red, I always liked that my S had black seatbelt buttons for some reason.
  • The yoke is fine. I had a couple of phantom grabs but I will get used to it easily. I like the improved visibility.
  • The turn signals are okay. I would rather have it set up like Ferrari where the left turn signal is a button on the left and the right is on the right. I am not yet used to placement so I have to look down to make sure I don't turn on the opposite signal.
  • The interface for autopilot is trash.
    • I hate that I basically lose use of the right scroll wheel. I used that for temp adjustments regularly
    • I think it is dangerous that it is the same method to turn it on and off. The stalk was a double tap backwards to engage and once forward to disengage. While driving I pressed the button intending to enable AP because I needed to look down for a second. It turns out I disengaged it without realizing it and had a lane departure incident.
  • The sound system is unimpressive. My previous S did not have the premium sound so I was expecting a big upgrade, but it doesn't seem much better. The "sound stage" seems to be well forward of the screen.
  • I am not sure about cabin noise levels. It doesn't seem crazy quiet to me but I need to try it more.

Overall the car is a big upgrade for me. I haven't done any launches or really gone crazy with speed, that will be a lot of fun. My car feels very well built.

My car's build date is 12/17. Vin is NF463.

If people are interested I will try to get some pics tomorrow to post.
I enjoyed reading this, and am envisioning myself in your shoes at pickup time.
my neighbor showed me a video of his plaid, where the center console light is the opposite as well.
i quipped now we know what happens in a refigerator, and whether a bear poops in the woods.
i don't know if that is a software fix, or if they have to fix the switch (either move a wire, or put in a new switch)
overall sounds like a good, successful delivery!

they'll hold the car 3 days, so iw ould make the appointment as far as out as possible, and then try to push the 3 day limite. that happened to me and i made an appoinment for 12/29 (the app was forcing me for 12/27, 12/28 or 12/29 and i will be out of the country, so i figured with the 29th i'd be good. if they have the car NOW you can't push it over.
and yeah, i was hoping for a small smidge of a tax break in 2022, i think unlikely, but if stalling for a day or 2 makes it a possibility, i think worth it

Yea same thing happened to me, but I was able to get them to hold for a 4th day only because i had a military drill on the latest day of my pick up. So i called to let them know and they extended it by one day.

Just found a pretty big hairline scratch on my windshield of the Plaid I took delivery of on Sunday. Wondering if I should schedule a service appointment, it's definitely annoying but im not sure if it's worth replacing the whole windshield over....wish i never noticed it lol
Just saw this. I had a discoloration in my windshield that I noticed about a month ago and I took it in to get looked at. It was as though something impacted my window, but not hard enough to break through it. The Tesla shop confirmed the "imperfection in the glass," and could not reasonably say that I'd done anything to cause it, so they just replaced the entire windshield. Took one business day, they put me in an older Model S until it was done, and it cost me nothing. Idk where your scratch is (maybe you mentioned it in a later post) but I thought I'd let you know my story in case it helps your decision

I like your point of view on it. I'm trying very hard not to make an impulsive decision to just have instant gratification. I would really enjoy having the fastest production car available, but at same time I can only imagine the trouble it would get me into. I am a bit worried that it won't hold the same type of resale value as a LR I have reserved at 80k. I was going to get FSD and do a full PPF matte wrap on the car, but if I go plaid may just not get FSD and forgo the PPF which seems even crazier given the car is more expensive. I'm in my early 30s but have had tremendous success early in life in CyberSecurity sales career so money isn't my largest concern, but obviously nothing is ever certain in this world.

Having a hard time with justification of the price increase, and whether it's worth it in the long run. I think if they're willing to offer me a discount on a Plaid I'd probably take it, and just say that was the way it was meant to be. I really don't need the car immediately but would love the new toy. Ugh decisions, decisions...

Thank you all for the group therapy, I don't know what I'd do without you all!
Let me tell you, the Long Rang might not be the fastest production car out there, but it'll still take the wind out of you and cause a heart attack for your passengers. I've had more than one self-inflicted light-headed moment from throwing on the acceleration from a stop light just for fun.

If you have already paid for the car how can they not hold it for as long as you need?

Okay so I picked the car up at 3:30 and have already put > 150 miles on it. Some thoughts...

Delivery Process
  • Delivery person informed me right away that key fobs and parcel shelf were missing and on backorder.
  • I showed them the delivery checklist and said I would be a while and they encouraged me to take my time and give feedback
  • After inspection they made sure the app was set up and working. A tech came to look at my issues (more later) and was mostly supportive but didn't seem hugely knowledgable.
  • They told me multiple times to make sure feedback is in first 100 miles/24 hrs. This is just silly to me, I drove it 100 miles almost immediately.
Car Build Quality
    • There was one pretty bad road chip in front of driver's rear wheel. They touched it up on the spot and it is almost invisible now.
  • There is adhesive residue all over the place. They washed the car, it was wet, but they didn't get all the residue.
  • Panel gaps are pretty good. The hatch has a little bigger gap on the passenger side but it isn't bad. The tech that looked at it recommended I leave it alone as trying to adjust it might make it worse. I tend to agree with him.
  • The black trim between the doors on the passenger side was out of alignment. I pushed down on it firmly and it is much better now.
  • Light inside the console functions opposite of what makes sense. I know there are some posts in the forum about it, going to try to find them, it is pretty odd.
  • The front doors are hard to close. Tech said that is common with refresh S and will bet better over time, I guess we will see.
  • Software update was waiting for me, I started it when I got home and it failed. It is already re-downloading, hopefully it works this time.
Overall, I am very pleased with build quality. Given the stories in this thread I was expecting much worse. Maybe I will find more tomorrow.

My Opinions

• The interior is great, big improvement. I think white might have been more fun to get, I was just worried about jean transfer.
  • The seatbelts feel extremely cheap. I don't know what it is but they feel very flimsy. The seatbelt button is red, I always liked that my S had black seatbelt buttons for some reason.
  • The yoke is fine. I had a couple of phantom grabs but I will get used to it easily. I like the improved visibility.
  • The turn signals are okay. I would rather have it set up like Ferrari where the left turn signal is a button on the left and the right is on the right. I am not yet used to placement so I have to look down to make sure I don't turn on the opposite signal.
    • I hate that I basically lose use of the right scroll wheel. I used that for temp adjustments regularly
    • I think it is dangerous that it is the same method to turn it on and off. The stalk was a double tap backwards to engage and once forward to disengage. While driving I pressed the button intending to enable AP because I needed to look down for a second. It turns out I disengaged it without realizing it and had a lane departure incident.
  • The sound system is unimpressive. My previous S did not have the premium sound so I was expecting a big upgrade, but it doesn't seem much better. The "sound stage" seems to be well forward of the screen.
  • I am not sure about cabin noise levels. It doesn't seem crazy quiet to me but I need to try it more.

Overall the car is a big upgrade for me. I haven't done any launches or really gone crazy with speed, that will be a lot of fun. My car feels very well built.

If people are interested I will try to get some pics tomorrow to po

Delivery Process
Car Build Quality

My Opinions

If people are interested I will try to get some pics tomorrow to post.
While I don't have my S as of yet, I hear about issues of getting used to the yoke. As far as the turn signals and determining their separation to activate the intended signal without looking down, the raised bar would be the initial target for my thumb. From there, up / right, down / left is what I will practice as the turn signals will the most frequently used. I am hoping that one day the yoke will be speed sensitive in relation to a variable turn ratio. At higher speeds we have the yoke the way it is now as far as response. Then at parking lot speeds and below, the ratio is cut in half for maneuvering into parking spaces or around things. I know Elon is looking at this issue at lower speeds...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Landing squarely in the "answer to a question nobody asked" category, Audi has opened their reservation only, 6-chargers handling up to 80 cars per day, keep-you-at-the-charging-station-as-long-as-possible-but-not-too-long model. I understand it's an experimental model, but perhaps trying to solve how to get people charged and on their way as quickly as pumping fuel seems the more appropriate challenge to address.

Landing squarely in the "answer to a question nobody asked" category, Audi has opened their reservation only, 6-chargers handling up to 80 cars per day, keep-you-at-the-charging-station-as-long-as-possible-but-not-too-long model. I understand it's an experimental model, but perhaps trying to solve how to get people charged and on their way as quickly as pumping fuel seems the more appropriate challenge to address.

Yeah it's kinda like giving up and assuming that oh well I guess charging will take longer forever lol. Interesting viewpoint.