Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My projected delivery is July 2022, however, Tesla keeps asking me to log into my account and fill out lots of details regarding delivery. They want to know if I am going to trade and if I am going to keep my old car tags. Does everybody fill this stuff out 6 months in advance? I am not sure how I will sell my 2017 S as a lot may change in 6 months.
Indeed, you need to fill out all of the information now, otherwise your order isn't officially "in". My wife's Y order got delayed months because I didn't fill out the financing information. They'd text me and tell me I needed to fill it out, I said I didn't want to fill it out until the car was ready as to avoid multiple credit pulls, they would say it's fine to wait.... until one SA told me that in fact my ETA date would just keep getting pushed out until I did. I put cash, then when they issued me a VIN number, I changed it to financing.

I am amazed at the chatter on this forum topic!!

I placed an order for a new model S the other day to replace my ageing 2017 model S 100D. Not many options but I did spring for a seat color change and the FSD. In 2017 Tesla provided me with a model S for a full weekend test drive, try and get a test drive in an S today!

My projected delivery is July 2022, however, Tesla keeps asking me to log into my account and fill out lots of details regarding delivery. They want to know if I am going to trade and if I am going to keep my old car tags. Does everybody fill this stuff out 6 months in advance? I am not sure how I will sell my 2017 S as a lot may change in 6 months.

Tesla has changed over the past 5 years since my last order and most changes are not for the better. More customer oriented in the past.
Your order will not be considered complete by Tesla until you complete some of that information. I'm sure this is an automated functionality whose completion is necessary for next steps within the code despite what you see presented. This is major, whereas in your mind you ordered yesterday, the Tesla Monkey will start considering you seriously only after you complete required steps. One can lose months at this stage. That said do not complete loan information if you're considering a loan with Tesla. Again, another automated function will run your credit and get you approved which approval will expire long before you can get a car. You can change your financing choice after you get a VIN. So FAKE away.

So small data point - yesterday my neighbor installed an update for his plaid, i don't know which version. he drove it last night, uneventful. this a.m. the thing was bricked with a red warning message, "Pull over safely - vehicle shutting down"
1) he was plugged in, 79% charge
2) he was home
Tesla service (actually, a 3rd party tow guy) had to come and dolly his car out. it was made tougher as his wife's car is on top of his (on the lift) so it took about an hour to get it out.
i'll report back when i learn what happened. since it didn't happen when driving, i'm guessing it is NOT an inverter issue as i think others have had.
from reddit, i'm guessing it is a partition issue or possible corruption in the SSD in the computer.
i mentioned to my buddy with the polestar 2 - and he said even with his many firmware problems, the PS2 never bricked.
you do expect better of a $140k car. if nothing else, being serious, maybe redundant firmware storage.

So small data point - yesterday my neighbor installed an update for his plaid, i don't know which version. he drove it last night, uneventful. this a.m. the thing was bricked with a red warning message, "Pull over safely - vehicle shutting down"
2) he was home
Tesla service (actually, a 3rd party tow guy) had to come and dolly his car out. it was made tougher as his wife's car is on top of his (on the lift) so it took about an hour to get it out.
i'll report back when i learn what happened. since it didn't happen when driving, i'm guessing it is NOT an inverter issue as i think others have had.
from reddit, i'm guessing it is a partition issue or possible corruption in the SSD in the computer.
i mentioned to my buddy with the polestar 2 - and he said even with his many firmware problems, the PS2 never bricked.
you do expect better of a $140k car. if nothing else, being serious, maybe redundant firmware storage.
Redundant firmware storage does not make a lot of sense. It is written to solid state as it is, if it was written to a RAID or simply copied to another location it would not save you from a code bug anyway. Solid state in this case rarely fails- I expect this is a code problem if computer related at all.

Wonder why they recommend the Model 3 Track Package at the end of that post?
Nice to see you @omarsultan! FYI in case you didn't see that I CCed you Twitter:

Probably either an error or Tesla is referring to both collectively as Track Mode.

Nice to see you @omarsultan! FYI in case you didn't see that I CCed you Twitter:

Probably either an error or Tesla is referring to both collectively as Track Mode.
Hey!

Yeah--saw the thread--I'll get some testing scheduled. Timeline is somewhat dependent on when Track Mode is added to the FSD beta release train.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Thanks, that's good since the new (and all future) stickers for California is yellow. Almost makes me glad that California is sunsetting the sticker program in September 2025 so I can take it off sooner. Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board
Yea those CA stickers suck. Was looking at some used M3s in past as waiting for our LRMS and saw some great ones but they had those nasty big stickers all over the back and had to just click past them! ;-)

2) he was home
thats what I got when I had the rear drive unit failure. It told me to pull over safely vehicle shutting down. Then I got an orange fault stating rear drive unit temporarily disabled.

Yea those CA stickers suck. Was looking at some used M3s in past as waiting for our LRMS and saw some great ones but they had those nasty big stickers all over the back and had to just click past them! ;-)
Piece of cake. Removing a smaller piece of PPF off a larger section is no issue. Do this quite often.
Thanks, that's good since the new (and all future) stickers for California is yellow. Almost makes me glad that California is sunsetting the sticker program in September 2025 so I can take it off sooner. Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board
Yup. Good solution for anyone thinking of bumper stickers (yuck) too. Makes a clean removal a breeze.

I only used one of the 4 (?) CA stickers. Hideous things. Small one applied to rear quarter panel. Never been an issue on 2 cars over 4 years.

2) he was home
WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR FRIENDS CAR!!???!