Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that I'm near a keyboard, I wanted to vomit my experiences yesterday and today about the car. Feel free to skip, or put on a work out video.
1) Yesterday DCU came through very quickly - I smartly decided to have the check sent to Tesla per the MVPA address. There was a real chance the physical check wouldn't have made it to me on time as the overnight has been taking up to 3 business days, and I was slated to pick up tomorrow.
2) I let my service center know what was going on - and once I had the scan of the check and tracking number (i forwarded both emails, along with the docusign from DCU) the service center told me, "good to go"
3) they didn't push for me to get the car earlier, but when i expressed interest, they said they could move me an hour earlier Friday. Friday? 2 days? not if you're part of this forum....so once they told me I was good, and I had some cancellations for my afternoon, and they said their latest pickup was 4pm that day and it was abotu 1:15pm, I asked can i pick it up now? and i gave my cell and asked to call me if no good.
4) I got my jacket on pretty quickly and zipped out the door. they called on my way to warn me might take 30 minutes to get the car ready, and I was fine with that as I drove faster.
5) BTW, I dreaded anything happening to the Benz on the way there - that would have f'd up the trade in. Nope, no problems :)
6) I get to the dealership like a giddy school girl, and see a beautiful red S, and more importantly, a gorgeous blue. The sun was actually out, and it was magnificent. and the shiny tires looked great. But i could easily see Pzero. that was a problem.
7) I had trouble parking the Benz, that place was jammed to the gills! new cars, inventory, etc. but was able to email that if that is my car and it has summer tires we have a real problem (doesn't affect this aspect, but we have 2 snows coming up, today and saturday, and it's flurrying now)
8) I get out, and therefore don't remove my benz plates. I did delete stuff from the navigation, garage door openers, etc. and had the thing cleaned out except for my "transfer bag" - EZ Pass, insurance card, etc.
9) long story short, I wouldn't sign anything. and I wasn't playing chicken (though I kept thinking tires might only be $1,500) - at the end of the day, they ended up taking the wheels off of a new car that wasn't delivered yet, and put them on mine. I asked them (not in an accusing way) how could Tesla send these to the northeast? they were also flabbergasted and said the car was probably originally intended for warm climates. They also mentioned they saw my prior emails, etc. about all seasons (I made that clear out of the gate)
10) side note - that red also had summer tires.
11) Once I had to wait for the tire swap, I signed the papers, went to the Benz, took off the plates, surrendered my registration and keys, and chilled about 30 minutes. I accepted the app "delivery" and it unlocked all sorts of goodness I'm still playing with.
11) lesson - a) stick to your guns and b) if you don't do your homework, they won't warn you it's the wrong tires, etc. - which is frankly not cool.
Finale - I have a service appointment at my office parking lot for monday for the console issue that i bet many have and don't notice - my neighbor is getting a new console and I likely will as well - there's a bottom shelf, and when you close the cover, the light goes on and when you fully open the cover the light goes out. reverse what it should be doing. if they never fixed it i wouldn't really car, but hey, new car and all that....
I'll write my impressions on another thread (that's what I do) but all in all, for those waiting - I have not seen anyone say it wasn't worth it (unless their car was an absolute clunker)
This will take a ton of time to get used to. I drove home like a white knuckle. I can't do most things on the car yet (at least not efficiently while driving, etc.) but I can see in 2 weeks I'll be a touch screen ninja.
Again, for those waiting patiently or impatiently,
1) it's a car. and it's only a car.
2) for me the biggest annoyance or fear was that i was forgotten in the tesla system
3) there's a LOT of negative stuff here. not saying negative people, but yeah, if my new car had damage, or wasnt' put together well, i'd be p'od, but I think most people make more noise when there's a problem then when things are good.
4) the long you wait, the more stuff will likely be improved or fixed. I think the quality control was poor in June, again mine was FLAWLESS. I did look. I still can't notice glass distortion (if it's there I can't see it). Paint defects? If there too small for me to see. And I'm NOT giving them a hall pass. My buddy's LR in August had crappy rubber trim sticking out of the window. I looked for that. nope, flawless. door handles, gaps, etc.

good luck to those waiting, hang in there. Try not to think about conspiracy theories. and yes, i'd like new headlights. but these are fine. As good as my benz? problably not. Better than my wife's lexus? you bet.

I'm happy to try to answer any questions I can whether on the forum or through a PM, and I plan to lurk here a bit longer as an attempt to give back; this and the other delivery forums were great "therapy" but at times I think they may have done more harm than good. Yes, I've seen newer orders get their cars first. Is it a conspiracy? I don't think so, I think it's logistics and luck of the draw - if you can't pick up and a later order can, and you are in a different area than that later order and the carr is "right there" yeah, I think they'll send to the one who can accept quickly. that sort of thing.
Did you check for clearance between the inside of the rear tires and the suspension wire harness? Just reach over the top of the rear tires and run your hand along the bulge of the sidewall adjacent to the shock absorber. Some cars had their tire rub through the wires....

Ta da! Got a couple of days early. PERFECT. Missing the trunk panels, no biggie. All keys, mats, etc.
they did try to foist the summer tires on me, and I wouldn’t accept the car. 1 hour later they swapped the wheels with another car, and I have my all seasons.
minor thing for service (light inside center console bottom acts reversed like my neighbor’s). I couldn’t find any flaws. Nearly invisible worm. Gorgeous in the sunlight.
TMC had me fearing the thing would be held together with glue and string and all sorts of badness. This thing was perfect. Very happy ;)

Congrats! Car looks amazing in the sun. What is your VIN and build date?

It may be a function of the personal qualifications - they were willing to lend me 100% of my LR - as i'm trading in, that number went down a bit, but i had it raised yesterday to every last penny, including .05!!!! so my Tesla account shows $0 balance, though a check has not been issued by DCU yet. Originally they told me they'd lend over the purchase price, but that seems to have ended.
at 1.25% I'll borrow every last nickel I can. Literally above.
I had the same experience, in fact I actually pulled out 11k in equity from my vehicle as the 1.24% loan is just too good to pass up on. They financed me for 100k on the 103k purchase and had 11k of equity leftover that Tesla will be sending me a check. It's been over 3 weeks and no check yet, but they did say it could take up to a month to get.

Someone commented on it before, but if you haven't had any history of larger car loans it seems that's when they're not offering 100% LTV. But obviously other debt to income ratio things would apply as well, but doubt that's a major factor for many of us.

My Model S was ordered in November. Delivery went initially estimated in March, then changed to a specific date range Jan 16th-30th and today changed to June. Whatever. I am not in hurry. Hoping they will add matrix LED's and refresh taillights by then. I am also thinking that with Austin Gigafactory producing Model Y's, it will free up Fremont for Model X/S production and focus on quality.

My Model S was ordered in November. Delivery went initially estimated in March, then changed to a specific date range Jan 16th-30th and today changed to June. Whatever. I am not in hurry. Hoping they will add matrix LED's and refresh taillights by then. I am also thinking that with Austin Gigafactory producing Model Y's, it will free up Fremont for Model X/S production and focus on quality.
Usually a weird long jump like that when your prior EDD was close, is a system fluke and you will get your vin in a couple days.

Ta da! Got a couple of days early. PERFECT. Missing the trunk panels, no biggie. All keys, mats, etc.
they did try to foist the summer tires on me, and I wouldn’t accept the car. 1 hour later they swapped the wheels with another car, and I have my all seasons.
minor thing for service (light inside center console bottom acts reversed like my neighbor’s). I couldn’t find any flaws. Nearly invisible worm. Gorgeous in the sunlight.
TMC had me fearing the thing would be held together with glue and string and all sorts of badness. This thing was perfect. Very happy ;)
I had a similar experience during my pick up yesterday. The car is nearly perfect & I'm very happy. I have the same center console light issue and my car has summer tires after I confirmed with someone in october that it would have A/S. They didn't have any tires or wheels on hand... did I get your wheels @IamGaryGnu? ;) They'll order them & install later. All the trunk panels and assorted bits were in the car; I don't know if they were there from the factory or the service center had them to add in. I'm not sure what I'll do (if anything) about the console light. If the answer is a full center console replacement... I might just leave it.

I highly recommend everyone select cash until they get a VIN, then apply for credit if you wish to. It's a trivial thing for your SA to switch your payment method to financing. You also avoid applying for credit too early and getting a credit score ding if you don't get your VIN before the approval expires.

My SA (same guy for the last two cars, and seems really good) advised this, too. I set cash, and flipped to financing what I got the call that it was time to complete payment.

My SA (same guy for the last two cars, and seems really good) advised this, too. I set cash, and flipped to financing what I got the call that it was time to complete payment.
definitely concur on this, it took all of 30 seconds to get it sorted (you do need to specify 3rd party financing and what your down payment/loan amount will be as well)

They keep pushing back my delivery date. Car is apparently still sitting at the factory

do something_2.png

Hello everyone, my config is RN 1149/MSLR/Red/cream/19. Ordered in May, on my fifth date slip but my latest date now says February without any specific dates tied to it. Interested to know if this means I'm getting closer to a VIN assignment/delivery or a refinement of Tesla's delivery process?

What do you all think? Thanks
Tysons? If so then see my comment they told me about March. Based on your RN I expect you will get a VIN prior to me but probably early March.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
This was my pattern, too. My 2-ish week window moved out 4-5 times -- then, boom: VIN + call saying "car's here" within 24 hours. Not unusual for California.
Just took delivery of MY LR (for my sister). They were v inflexible about pick up date, but it went well overall. I do know they are being much more strict about getting all older orders (pre-muliple price hikes) off their books, We had a small conflict and were told "you get those three days to pick it up or you lose it and go to end of the line and pay $9K more!" NTS, we made arrangements to get her done.