Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, LFP batteries would make the Model S absurdly heavy. Like 5500+ pounds. It would make no sense, except for a lower priced, lower range model, but that in itself would be useless, as demand is still off the charts for the new S and X, and they are currently maxed out on production capacity.

The next major change for Model S is the 4680 high nickel cells, along with the structural pack. This will happen likely sometime around 2025. Following that, I expect an all new Model S/X (including exterior), as we approach 2030.

What do you think the production constraint is on the S, right now? Weird that they're having so many issues producing Model S but 4 years ago they used to produce twice as many.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Model S 2.0 refresh update. The autopilot limited to 80mph is the “worst” feature. Found myself driving faster than normal since I couldn’t use autopilot on the highway. It also gets really pissy when you make the car go 10-15mph over instead of the max 5 over. Two thumbs down for the new autopilot.
Yeah, I really wish they would have left radar in until Tesla Vision is at LEAST on par with it.

What do you think the production constraint is on the S, right now? Weird that they're having so many issues producing Model S but 4 years ago they used to produce twice as many.
Right now, I think they are in the midst of ramping the lines back up.

Disregarding that, I think supply chain is by far the biggest constraint to S and X. They are relatively low volume vehicles, so the parts they need may not be in as big of supply as 3 and Y. As a supplier, if you can only make a limited quantity of parts, you're likely going to make the most of the mass producible part. Supply chain is the number one, and potentially is the only constraint as of now.

Ok so got a VIN assigned! Can you guys help me confirm whether it’s refreshed lights? 5YJSA1E60NF473673

Yes, that VIN range is new and will have the updated items. Congrats

Plus you can see the codes HL01 and RL01 in the description which represents the new lights.

What does everyone expect to be the next change in model S following the lights? I expect LFP batteries. Enabling to charge up to 100% level is quiet useful for range.
next updates I expect... (software) yoke center horn enabled instead of the button. (hardware) new HW4.0 for next generation FSD. I have zero insider info to back this up so there is no evidence to support this, but based on when the HW4 processors were being manufactured I'd guess sometime second half/late 2022. As far as look/design changes no idea, might have some this year but most likely not for another 1-2 years.

next updates I expect... (software) yoke center horn enabled instead of the button. (hardware) new HW4.0 for next generation FSD. I have zero insider info to back this up so there is no evidence to support this, but based on when the HW4 processors were being manufactured I'd guess sometime second half/late 2022. As far as look/design changes no idea, might have some this year but most likely not for another 1-2 years.
There will always be changes coming; from now until the end of time!

Ok, here is my iron clad and most accurate end-all opinion on the new lights after seeing them in person at the SC this morning on a MSM,

While they look good, the front do not look any better than the current ones, I am also not comparing performance. I do think I will change my mind after seeing these more.

The rears look good but now are too mainstream with the others in the brand. More modern - yes. Less unique - yes. I (really) tried to like the black bar but could not. I think if they would have extended into the lights or put "TESLA" on it, it would have worked better. I was too distracted by teh black bar to notice the charge port.

Keep in mind my perspective is the few number of S's over the years in my area does not give the feel that they have been out forever. In addition, I paid $17 less than current market so I do not feel cheated or missed. Also, this is my opinion and if you like the new lights then disregard and go all out for it and enjoy it.

Did see the cup holder "improvement" - meh. I have a $20 aftermarket I bought and works great. I could not see the hinges to give an opinion.

You do not need to mention "I have zero insider info to back this up so there is no evidence to support this" because no one here does but that does not stop people from stating things as fact or firm knowledge. Also, never let that stop you from posting rumors and conjectures in the future. It gives us something to discuss at night.

Red red red. What is the deal with the Red?! ORDERED DEC 4th, Plaid, paying CASH. EDD March 12-26, just bumped this morning to March 16-27. WTF? I'm holding out hope since the last date is still in Quarter but my goodness guys.
Red seems to be in short supply. Go figure the most expensive color and they seem to limit production.

Don’t worry though. I’m sure you will get yours before me..

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
You do not need to mention "I have zero insider info to back this up so there is no evidence to support this" because no one here does but that does not stop people from stating things as fact or firm knowledge. Also, never let that stop you from posting rumors and conjectures in the future. It gives us something to discuss at night.
Well some of us have more insider info than others, but no one that does is allowed to admit that they do. COMMENCE DONNING OF THE TINFOIL HAT. ;)