Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Learned something today about ARNR. According to my service invoice:

The Active Noise Canceling system has accelerometers installed on all 4 knuckles of the suspension which act as microphones to produce the inverse phase of the road noise to cancel out the road noise in a physics phenomenon called destructive interference. This system is designed and optimized for stock applications and any kind of aftermarket suspension, wheels or brakes can cause the system to not function as designed. Technician recommends to keep ANC turned off or to put vehicle back to stock.

The Active Noise Canceling system has accelerometers installed on all 4 knuckles of the suspension which act as microphones to produce the inverse phase of the road noise to cancel out the road noise in a physics phenomenon called destructive interference. This system is designed and optimized for stock applications and any kind of aftermarket suspension, wheels or brakes can cause the system to not function as designed. Technician recommends to keep ANC turned off or to put vehicle back to stock.
Accelerometers acting as microphones? Wha?

Accelerometers on the hinges, you say?!

Interesting. A recent Munro video mentioned those accelerometers. I don't think that mentioned that were used for ANC, maybe they didn't know. Wouldn't actual microphones work better for noise cancellation?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

After I got my new wheels and tires I noticed more noise and I remember a post by WilliamG that said the road noise was worse with ANC turned on so I turned it off and it’s a little better. The problem is ANC defaults to on and I have to manually turn it off.

Interesting. A recent Munro video mentioned those accelerometers. I don't think that mentioned that were used for ANC, maybe they didn't know. Wouldn't actual microphones work better for noise cancellation?

I would guess that since they are used as an indicator of suspension movement, they serve a double duty for dampening and send signal to the ANC road noise is happening. I would like to think that these accelerometers work in coordination with a microphone! How adjustable is this system as Tesla must do this for every different wheel and tire combination they offer acts differently?

Last edited:
After I got my new wheels and tires I noticed more noise and I remember a post by WilliamG that said the road noise was worse with ANC turned on so I turned it off and it’s a little better. The problem is ANC defaults to on and I have to manually turn it off.
Interesting. I’ve had the ARNR turn back on by itself quite a few times, which was definitely annoying. Wonder what is causing it to bug out? Mine was awful with stock tires/wheels…

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Interesting. I’ve had the ARNR turn back on by itself quite a few times, which was definitely annoying. Wonder what is causing it to bug out? Mine was awful with stock tires/wheels…
The problem is I don’t exactly know when it turns itself back on. The only way I know it is when I start to hear more than normal road noise and then when I check it, I see that it is on and I have to turn it back off.

The problem is I don’t exactly know when it turns itself back on. The only way I know it is when I start to hear more than normal road noise and then when I check it, I see that it is on and I have to turn it back off.
Yep. Same. And the noise is so bad… I’d schedule service. It’s so easy to toggle the ARNR off and on and hear the racket so service should easily be able to reproduce. This was my car with ARNR on… crazy-making…

For those with non stock wheel tire combinations that want no ANCR you could remove the back panel to your seats and pull the connector to the headrest speakers. With all the posts complaining about this system being quieter when off, brand new with the factory wheels and tires, I wonder if this system works just fine and it is not properly set up at the factory. According to what we know so far, changes to wheels, tires, brakes and suspension offsets the as factory settings. So, is there only one setting from the factory?

Yep. Same. And the noise is so bad… I’d schedule service. It’s so easy to toggle the ARNR off and on and hear the racket so service should easily be able to reproduce. This was my car with ARNR on… crazy-making…

Kind of reminds me of cruising the streets years ago with my 68 Barracuda 340 with it's big cam. :cool:
Something is definitely out of phase..

I think I’d take what one Tesla rep about the knuckles with a fairly hefty grain of salt.

While Tesla can’t seem to handle a decently functioning ACN system, they sure have the @$$ sounds nailed!