Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this vein of the European delivery program, I have often wondered why Tesla could not implement a similar program for people from other States to go to Fremont and pick up for later registration in their own state. I have brought up this idea previously here and the responses were to do with insurance and ownership in transit but all speculation. If someone knows exactly why this cannot be done within the US but allowed from overseas enlighten us. But again if the European delivery program works for BMW and MB, why not a similar program for the only direct sales company in the US? I'd sure have had my car by now because I'd totally take the time off to drive back from Fremont.
In the past it was a problem due to the way CA taxes cars the way Best Buy taxes televisions, tax is paid at point of sale, vs other states that tax at point of registration. In some cases you can get credit for tax paid to another state, but in NJ they don't tax EVs, so you'd pay CA a hefty sum just to take delivery there.

Hopefully being a TX-based company now could possibly alleviate that in the future? I think it'd be fun to take delivery in Austin and road trip back home!

I learned of this when I did European Delivery with a BMW (you fly over to Germany, take possession of the car there legally and drive it around, then they ship it back as your car so it's not taxed/tariffed as an import). People obviously don't want to be told their brand new luxury car was damaged in transport, so they fix them and... just don't tell them hahahaha.
Yep, exactly. And realistically the manufacturer still stands behind the vehicle 100%, specifically the corrosion warranty which usually far exceeds the bumper to bumper warranty.

In this vein of the European delivery program, I have often wondered why Tesla could not implement a similar program for people from other States to go to Fremont and pick up for later registration in their own state. I have brought up this idea previously here and the responses were to do with insurance and ownership in transit but all speculation. If someone knows exactly why this cannot be done within the US but allowed from overseas enlighten us. But again if the European delivery program works for BMW and MB, why not a similar program for the only direct sales company in the US? I'd sure have had my car by now because I'd totally take the time off to drive back from Fremont.
For those who may not know in this program you pick up the car from the factory in Germany, Drive around in Europe and return the car to a designated place in whatever European country you choose for MB (or BMW) to ship the car to your local dealership in the States where you pick up from.
I would imagine in Tesla's case it's a resource matter. These types of programs take planning and resources. I don't think Tesla has much of either to spare.

In this vein of the European delivery program, I have often wondered why Tesla could not implement a similar program for people from other States to go to Fremont and pick up for later registration in their own state. I have brought up this idea previously here and the responses were to do with insurance and ownership in transit but all speculation.
I don't think there is anything stopping you from picking a delivery location in California if that is what you want to do. But like others have said CA taxes are an issue. (Especially for buyers from Oregon on NJ where there would be no state tax.) I think that Tesla tried in the past to get a tourism change to the tax policy to allow factory pickups for out of state buyers without them being charged tax and that didn't go anywhere.

I don't think there is anything stopping you from picking a delivery location in California if that is what you want to do. But like others have said CA taxes are an issue. (Especially for buyers from Oregon on NJ where there would be no state tax.) I think that Tesla tried in the past to get a tourism change to the tax policy to allow factory pickups for out of state buyers without them being charged tax and that didn't go anywhere.
Maybe you can't drive a car interstate with dealer plates. In my theoretical idea, you would be transporting the car to your local dealership as Tesla's agent. Tesla would not have sold you the car yet and hence cannot collect tax at that point. Instead of Tesla paying the $K2+ destination fee to a logistics company they would still charge you that fee but that would cover the insurance (self insured by Tesla) in transit to the local service center. Again all theoretical but that's the kind of thought process I have been mauling over. Of course one of the concerns is that we are an extremely litigious society and I can foresee all sorts of channels for people to scam Tesla. Who would wanna deal with those headaches?

For those who may not know in this program you pick up the car from the factory in Germany, Drive around in Europe and return the car to a designated place in whatever European country you choose for MB (or BMW) to ship the car to your local dealership in the States where you pick up from.
Tesla tried to implement this. The California Franchise tax board required them to charge sales tax on any vehicle delivered in CA, even if it was subsequently driven or shipped out of state. This made such a program not financially viable.

Maybe you can't drive a car interstate with dealer plates. In my theoretical idea, you would be transporting the car to your local dealership as Tesla's agent. Tesla would not have sold you the car yet and hence cannot collect tax at that point. Instead of Tesla paying the $K2+ destination fee to a logistics company they would still charge you that fee but that would cover the insurance (self insured by Tesla) in transit to the local service center. Again all theoretical but that's the kind of thought process I have been mauling over. Of course one of the concerns is that we are an extremely litigious society and I can foresee all sorts of channels for people to scam Tesla. Who would wanna deal with those headaches?
Yeah, that would never work for a variety of reasons. Tesla already has a problem with people taking possession of a vehicle, cancelling the payment, and then selling the car to someone else. No need to make that even easier for them by not even trying to collect payment up front.

@Ohmster I believe you mentioned in your OP that your PPF installer was going to cover everything but the peeling trunk. I’m not sure that’s a good idea because the repaint will require blending into the quarter panels and rear bumper - if done right. If the panels and rear bumper are covered in PFF, Tesla may refuse to work on it or have to remove the PFF - leaving you having to pay your installer again for these areas. The installer knows this, I’m sure. Kind of pisses me off to see both that person and Tesla try to soak you for more money, given the situation.

My installer is doing all the right things. The only naughty party here is, well. :(

But everyone will do right by me in the end. I have faith. I really, really, do.

My car is looking fabulous. It’s almost burgundy. My favorite color in my older age.

You can see the MSM + White I was referring to earlier.

69F92F0A-9419-4A44-9091-A302396D1779.jpeg

2EA24266-22BB-4ACF-966F-54B2029B3162.jpeg
F65E9654-EF5B-46BA-9A3E-4DA486E7D551.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
My installer is doing all the right things. The only naughty party here is, well. :(

But everyone will do right by me in the end. I have faith. I really, really, do.

My car is looking fabulous. It’s almost burgundy. My favorite color in my older age.

You can see the MSM + White I was referring to earlier.

View attachment 790710

View attachment 790711View attachment 790712
I know that shop, Tyler rules, he did an incredible job on my stealth white S.

I have it on my MS MSM and it is fantastic. Looks super awesome on that Red!

Thank you. What I am digging the most.

It’s
  • a Tesla!
  • an S (less of them)
  • closest to favorite color (with above, even less)
  • Stealth/matte (and even more so)
So, it will be a tad different amongst Musk’s California sea of vehicles.

It has been so dead in here this first week of April.

I went to check on the X LR owners and they are all a wreck as well, delay after delay, longer waits, constantly pushed EDD's essentially a duplicate of here. It made me feel sad and gave me some comfort that we are not alone here. Misery loves company.

I just wish Tesla did more to be transparent and not treat their customers like absolute garbage. Everyone is at their wit's end with the process or lack thereof.
I feel like this quarter things will get worse. I hope I am wrong though.

On a positive note, each day that passes gets me a day closer to hopefully get this magical car....