Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is definitely possible that they removed the wording from the order process - hell, it would make sense so people can not refer back to it. But I definitely did not pay close enough attention nor grab screen caps that showed that the configurator said a mobile connector was included. Looking under the "Features" on the designer today, there is a card about charging, but the wording just says "using the mobile connector". Using the Wayback Machine to the end of March, no language change at least from that source.
Someone on twitter took a screenshot from 2 weeks ago.
FQfhy6lXoAo0HjL.png

Someone on twitter took a screenshot from 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 794938
They should honor keeping the MC on existing orders and note that it is an add-on for future orders so folks know about this before placing their order. Whether some buyers never use it is irrelevant. I placed an order thinking it was included so if you're taking that benefit away, I expect to be compensated by way of a discount off the purchase price.

For me personally, I rarely use it as I have the 60A wall connector at home. But that doesn't mean I don't want it. I've used it for trips up north and for long trips to visit family where no superchargers are close by. In other words, if it wasn't included, I'd buy one just for those scenarios I've mentioned.

The closest super charger from my house/work is about an hour away so for me I do not believe that the mobile charger is useless. I was debating between installing a home charger or using the mobile charger so I guess it’ll be a home charger. I still wish it came with the mobile. Just helps with peace of mind when switching to an electric car. I feel like it would help me get through the range anxiety lol
It only gets you 2-3 miles of range per hour. The other challenge is when you are traveling it's not like there are outlets everywhere that you want to charge, so if you want to get 5-10 miles range in your car you would need to wait a few hours. There are definitely other charging options aside from superchargers, but the premise of owning a Tesla is to have the fast wall connector and leave the house with a full or near full charge during the day; When I had my Model X I would not even plug it in and could go a week or so without charging it; but everyone is different, some people drive to work an hour each day; for them, it would make sense to charge overnight. For reference here is the link to the charging speeds on Tesla's website. Charging Your Tesla

It only gets you 2-3 miles of range per hour. The other challenge is when you are traveling it's not like there are outlets everywhere that you want to charge, so if you want to get 5-10 miles range in your car you would need to wait a few hours. There are definitely other charging options aside from superchargers, but the premise of owning a Tesla is to have the fast wall connector and leave the house with a full or near full charge during the day; When I had my Model X I would not even plug it in and could go a week or so without charging it; but everyone is different, some people drive to work an hour each day; for them, it would make sense to charge overnight. For reference here is the link to the charging speeds on Tesla's website. Charging Your Tesla
A perfect example of where it comes in handy is when you go on a long trip and stay at friends or family for the weekend. You plug your car into a regular outlet with the MC and it sits there charging for 48 to 60 hours until it's time to leave for home. 48 hours x 3 miles = 144 miles of range. That could be the difference between having to stop at a Supercharger vs. making it all the way home with no stops-not too shabby if you ask me.

Ordered a Model S a year ago and awaiting delivery. Was unaware that it would not have a steering wheel at that time. Love our 2015 S. Hesitate to take delivery of the new one without driving an S with a yoke beforehand. Yoke controls seem pretty complicated. Tesla doesn't seem to have one to test drive in the Seattle area. Any thoughts?
I reached out on this forum to local owners. Lucky for me a local was glad to let me test drive his car. Yoke was not an issue

Response received from my Tesla SA on inclusion of mobile charge kit with existing orders

"Andrew,

This is a great question. With how recent the news had been made, we’ve yet to receive direction on what to expect going forward with the inclusion of the Mobile Charging Kit. With that being said, I’m unable to set the proper expectation on this until Tesla comes forward with an official statement. I’d recommend keeping your ear to the news to see what’s to come with this update.

All the best,"

Just horrid comms for a large company. Meaning, why would the CEO make a massive change in direction like that, with ZERO comms internally to your employees first, so that they can be prepped/not blindsided?

Its disrespectful to your team/employees.
I know you have been around for a while, so that chain of events should not truly surprise you. Agree, it makes the front lines look inept.

If I were waiting on a delivery? I'd go to the website and print that out/save it/timestamp it ASAP.

Trust me...in the end? Id end up getting a free mobile connector.....
Saved, hoping they do indeed honor including the mobile connector for pre-4/17 orders.

The Tesla App video guides topic on Charging suggests it’s included, starts off by saying “This is your charging kit…”

I would think that’s another reasonable argument to use if they gave us *sugar*.

A perfect example of where it comes in handy is when you go on a long trip and stay at friends or family for the weekend. You plug your car into a regular outlet with the MC and it sits there charging for 48 to 60 hours until it's time to leave for home. 48 hours x 3 miles = 144 miles of range. That could be the difference between having to stop at a Supercharger vs. making it all the way home with no stops-not too shabby if you ask me.
Yes, that is a great corner case for wanting the mobile charger. But come on, tell me the truth, your friend has a Tesla charger at their house.....Joke. :)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid