Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes sense... I've thought the Plaid should be able to charge above 250 kW, even on the same v3 chargers. The Model 3 has a 96S battery, vs the Refresh S has 110S (110 cells in series). That suggests that 285 kW should easily be possible, with the same amperage through the supercharger wires.

Based on the capacity of the battery (100 kwhr in the S vs 80 kwhr in the 3), the refresh S should be able to do 312 kW charging. 375 kW would be really pushing those cells to charge at 3.75C. I'd be interested to see that!
Yup! Exactly!

Yeah 375 would be insane. It would still be at less than half of the discharge rate (>8C), but yeah pretty steep! The cells may have a long way to go before lithium plating and dendrites, etc.. start to damage the cells.

Personally, I've always loved that they're always making changes. I know some people don't like it though lol. But how would the cars get better otherwise as fast as they do? Not only that, but to implement all of the year round changes at the beginning of a new model year would make them shutdown the lines for a time, which goes against their mission statement of delivering as many cars as possible. It would be hugely inefficient.
Oh I love the evolution, don’t get me wrong. But not knowing what the car you ordered is even going to be is perhaps one step too far?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Oh I love the evolution, don’t get me wrong. But not knowing what the car you ordered is even going to be is perhaps one step too far?
Well the issue there is if they say what is coming off the production line at this very moment, then you're going to have a crowd of angry owners that are expecting one thing but then get the other delivered. Even with a well written, easy to understand disclaimer, you're still going to get all kinds of people throwing stuff left and right. So it's very difficult to try and pinpoint that time to update the site / giveout specs/tell the sales associates, etc.. as then people will expect it.

The old adage in buying Teslas is to buy when you're completely happy with what's currently being sold, as-is, and then you can be pleasantly surprised when you get more than you bargained for (either through updates that happen while you're waiting for your EDD, paid retrofits, or software updates down the road).

That doesn't make it hurt any less if you just miss an update by a couple of weeks (or even months), though. All I know is my Plaid still puts a smile on my face!

Yup! Exactly!

Yeah 375 would be insane. It would still be at less than half of the discharge rate (>8C), but yeah pretty steep! The cells may have a long way to go before lithium plating and dendrites, etc.. start to damage the cells.
375kW would also play into marketing - Tesla lost the longest range credential, but could reclaim the fastest charging/roadtripper with 375kW charging.

Lucid currently has the highest peak at 300kW, and Electrify America "only" pumps out 350kW.

If Tesla can bump V3s, or hypothetical V4s, to 375kW, they'd retake the crown.

375kW would also play into marketing - Tesla lost the longest range credential, but could reclaim the fastest charging/roadtripper with 375kW charging.

Lucid currently has the highest peak at 300kW, and Electrify America "only" pumps out 350kW.

Absolutely! Range matters less to Tesla now I think, but charging speed is important.
Last I heard V4s are still on track for later this year/early next year possibly coinciding with the V3 power bump as well.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Personally, I've always loved that they're always making changes. I know some people don't like it though lol. But how would the cars get better otherwise as fast as they do? Not only that, but to implement all of the year round changes at the beginning of a new model year would make them shutdown the lines for a time, which goes against their mission statement of delivering as many cars as possible. It would be hugely inefficient.

Agreed but they should at least include the features advertised when the vehicle is ordered - or even delivered. Do not make changes after - that does not count...

Agreed but they should at least include the features advertised when the vehicle is ordered - or even delivered. Do not make changes after - that does not count...
True, but how do you juggle that with 6 month long wait times? With the way demand is currently, they'd never get to improve the cars if they were frozen to what's advertised at the point of ordering.

Yeah, the peak numbers are kind of meaningless. It's the area under the curve. The bump from 150 kW (v2) to 250 kW (v3) didn't make that much difference on the Model 3 because the pack is small (80 kwhr). I suspect bumping to 375 kW won't make much difference on the 100 kwhr battery as well.

Or maybe I'm wrong. This curve could bump up. But, it would still drop below 250 kW at 32% SOC, so the peak increase would only matter between 7% and 32%.

1651699632436.png

Yeah, the peak numbers are kind of meaningless. It's the area under the curve. The bump from 150 kW (v2) to 250 kW (v3) didn't make that much difference on the Model 3 because the pack is small (80 kwhr). I suspect bumping to 375 kW won't make much difference on the 100 kwhr battery as well.

Or maybe I'm wrong. This curve could bump up. But, it would still drop below 250 kW at 32% SOC, so the peak increase would only matter between 7% and 32%.

View attachment 800519
Agreed - I'd be happy with V1 120kW Superchargers if Tesla expanded the charge curve.

But given that the refreshed S/X already have broader/flatter charge curves, maybe this will also carry over with a higher peak.