Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not hate, just added complexity with little upside to my situation. Very little added benefit where I live due to road conditions, traffic, weather, NYC roads, etc. etc. Obviously automobile "nirvana" is having a separate set of wheels + tires for each season. But to me, that's a PITA with nothing to gain. Again, YMMV depending where you live and your lifestyle. In my experience, they also wear much faster. And also, if I were dealing with a Porsche-like service advisor, they would bend over backwards to accommodate a customer that walks in the door paying cash for a $100k car. Tesla could care less.
*couldn't care less

I probably should have mentioned that the trunk is actually a bit too far to the left as well. You can see the gap on the right side during the day. So, I'll have to make that clear during the service visit. Although, I wouldn't be too upset if they just fix the taillight alignment on the left.
An update for anyone that cares, service center fixed the trunk by adjusting liftgate to center it. Looks amazing now.
new trunk alignment.jpg

For the buzzing yoke, they said a firmware update is coming to fix. "no need to replace the yoke at this time". Honestly, I'm not too upset. It just hit 90F here, so I've got AC turned on and can barely hear the yoke anymore. I'm ok with waiting.

Not hate, just added complexity with little upside to my situation. Very little added benefit where I live due to road conditions, traffic, weather, NYC roads, etc. etc. Obviously automobile "nirvana" is having a separate set of wheels + tires for each season. But to me, that's a PITA with nothing to gain. Again, YMMV depending where you live and your lifestyle. In my experience, they also wear much faster. And also, if I were dealing with a Porsche-like service advisor, they would bend over backwards to accommodate a customer that walks in the door paying cash for a $100k car. Tesla could care less.
fair points. I guess I am in the bucket of people that prefer to have peak performance when driving in all conditions and find the inconvenience of changing a set of tires twice a year minimal. My wife would prefer that I drive with more of an all-season tire attitude too :) but what fun is that?

You are correct that for the price point of these cars the service level is below par.

fair points. I guess I am in the bucket of people that prefer to have peak performance when driving in all conditions and find the inconvenience of changing a set of tires twice a year minimal. My wife would prefer that I drive with more of an all-season tire attitude too :) but what fun is that?

You are correct that for the price point of these cars the service level is below par.
Here's my take. I'm not exactly on a strict budget but I don't really like superfluous spending. I also wouldn't mind changing the wheels twice per year to suit the weather changes. I'm in a location where conditions warrant winter tires for 3-4 months per year. So my best possible setup would be fancy aftermarket "nice" rims with summer tires and stock rims with winter or AS tires.

Instead, I'm now stuck with stock rims with summer tires... aftermarket rims with winter tires isn't a great move, and if I wanted the "ideal" setup I now have to buy one set of rims and two full sets of tires.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Here's my take. I'm not exactly on a strict budget but I don't really like superfluous spending. I also wouldn't mind changing the wheels twice per year to suit the weather changes. I'm in a location that conditions warrant winter tires for 3-4 months per year. So my best possible setup would be fancy aftermarket "nice" rims with summer tires and stock rims with winter or AS tires.

Instead, I'm now stuck with stock rims with summer tires... aftermarket rims with winter tires isn't a great move, and if I wanted the "ideal" setup I now have to buy one set of rims and two full sets of tires.

Look at it this way...what you saved by not going with the stock 21's, you can buy lots of stuff..

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
An update for anyone that cares, service center fixed the trunk by adjusting liftgate to center it. Looks amazing now.
View attachment 802952

For the buzzing yoke, they said a firmware update is coming to fix. "no need to replace the yoke at this time". Honestly, I'm not too upset. It just hit 90F here, so I've got AC turned on and can barely hear the yoke anymore. I'm ok with waiting.

Definitely still a Tesla, though, with the fit/finish. Within spec!

Loving my Plaid.

Getting looks like in the old days. Guy in ‘Mustang’ EV jaw literally dropped as I passed him this morning. Some guy in a 100P tried to take me at a light. Kid gave me thumbs up on way home yesterday. Was fun.

Yes, the spoiler is missing. It will be reinstalled Friday when they finish the PPF. You can see the difference between the trunk and the bumper....top is naked paint, bottom is stealth PPF + ceramic. Going to wrap the appliqué in 2080 Carbon. Diffuser lip is wrapped. Great product from TWraps.

And that indeed is a digital plate!

Did not believe in car covers until I got car fully covered in PPF and ‘cleared’ it with my installer.

0E9E9F4F-4197-4A00-A11A-7C8028F26914.jpeg
4FE5C07E-B639-43E4-AFCC-D49A98C56D74.jpeg

Attachments

• 70F3E490-F336-4320-A7D6-0B1297E63B40.jpeg
    70F3E490-F336-4320-A7D6-0B1297E63B40.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2D54D9C6-6F55-4DBC-9575-092F5D28F46B.jpeg
    2D54D9C6-6F55-4DBC-9575-092F5D28F46B.jpeg
    811.2 KB · Views: 68
Loving my Plaid.

Getting looks like in the old days. Guy in ‘Mustang’ EV jaw literally dropped as I passed him this morning. Some guy in a 100P tried to take me at a light. Kid gave me thumbs up on way home yesterday. Was fun.

Yes, the spoiler is missing. It will be reinstalled Friday when they finish the PPF. You can see the difference between the trunk and the bumper....top is naked paint, bottom is stealth PPF + ceramic. Going to wrap the appliqué in 2080 Carbon. Diffuser lip is wrapped. Great product from TWraps.

Did not believe in car covers until I got car fully covered in PPF and ‘cleared’ it with my installer.

View attachment 802966View attachment 802967
Great to hear!

Loving my Plaid.

Awesome...with that digital plate, don't need no stinking Badges...

When did you say you were going to put it up on Turo?

😁

Called and spoke directly with "Henry" at Paramus, NJ SC. He looked internally... nothing out there that matches my build to accelerate the process (I knew that already). His best estimate (internally) based upon similar RN #'s was that my car would be build ~second week of July, with a delivery towards end of July. He did confirm that I would receive the mobile charger since my order pre-dated no longer coming as standard. Then I moved into the A/S vs. summer tires fiasco. He really wasn't sure until I get a VIN but he said to expect summer tires on the car with a cost to buy a separate pair of A/S. I told him that is not acceptable on a $100k car that is being delivered in the northeast. Summer tires crack/ fail below 40 degrees and have zero traction in the cold. Why would I buy a daily driver that is useless six months of the year? Why should I have to keep a second set of wheels/ tires? There is actually a paragraph about this in the owners manual although it does not state any specifics about what to expect by default on the car. He remained firm. He did also state that when they "run out" of summer tires, they do occasionally ship with A/S, but it's not the norm. I should expect summer tires, even on my LR model. I asked him to make a note on my account since the car was not built yet. Can the factory just ship my RN # with A/S tires? I'm sure these are slightly less expensive anyway internally. He said he would "do that", but very unconvincing. He said my only other recourse was to cancel my reservation if I felt that strongly about it.

Just figured I'd share my experience here.
That was a rather un-called for snotty response from the Tesla Rep.

View attachment 802952

Looks nice indeed.. But, to the right of the Plaid emblem, below the right tail light, it looks like the fender panel sticks out a little bit.. Especially if a light is cast down from above as in your garage... Just my 3 cents, (inflation)...

Loving my Plaid.

Curious why you like or use the car cover? It does look nice. Coincidentally when I was at the local Tesla store they had about a half dozen Ys covered.

Wish they would ship them covered like this and include them in the purchase.

The S Plaid I saw at the service center that had just been dropped off was labeled as front of the truck and was absolutely filthy.

Looks nice indeed.. But, to the right of the Plaid emblem, below the right tail light, it looks like the fender panel sticks out a little bit.. Especially if a light is cast down from above as in your garage... Just my 3 cents, (inflation)...
Yeah, I honestly didn't notice that until the trunk was aligned. Now it's the one thing that stands out. Maybe I'll try to get it fixed, but it doesn't bother me too much right now. White car definitely makes any panel gap super obvious, but the color looks so good with the new black trim IMO. I may do a wrap like Audi's Nardo Gray though. I always loved that color.

Curious why you like or use the car cover? It does look nice. Coincidentally when I was at the local Tesla store they had about a half dozen Ys covered.

The S Plaid I saw at the service center that had just been dropped off was labeled as front of the truck and was absolutely filthy.

I'm a big fan of a quality car covers. Especially in the garage! Protects against careless family members and dust and bug debris.

It's the first thing I would do after taking delivery.

Down to one car wash per year, and detail spray approx 1-2 weeks.

For Omar, is that cover from the Tesla Store, or did you get it somewhere else?

The place I park at work (near outlet) is under a tree and subject to a ton of dust. So my planned routine is to use some detailer in the evening when I get home prior to garaging it or doing a quick wipe at work then throw on the cover. Tuesday was my first day and I think I spent 10 minutes struggling with it. Was going to never bother again. But this morning it literally took a minute. I know because my shortcut closes the trunk after 90 seconds. The key (for me) is to lock in the mirrors, do the front, then pull over and do the back once trunk closes.

I'm a big fan of a quality car covers. Especially in the garage! Protects against careless family members and dust and bug debris.

It's the first thing I would do after taking delivery.

Down to one car wash per year, and detail spray approx 1-2 weeks.

For Omar, is that cover from the Tesla Store, or did you get it somewhere else?

Tesla store. Bit expensive compared to market ($400). I don't think they modified it for the refresh (though website states compatible with all Model S vehicles) and I've got an email out to Tesla about it. Seems a bit short on the sides due to the increased width of the newer cars.

Last edited:
As it stands now, it sounds like they may not look at my car until the end of the week or next week (if I'm lucky). Until then, it's sitting in the service parking lot waiting. I would go get my car so I could at least enjoy it BUT I don't want to end up at the back of the line when I want to actually get the scheduled charging issue fixed. I love the car so I can wait a little but if it's still waiting in line after 2 full weeks . . . (who am I kidding, what can I do).
Got excited for a second when I got a message in my app saying they broke through their bottleneck and were making progress. I asked if that meant the current estimate for my car being ready by tomorrow was accurate. Of course NOT. The message I got back was that they are finally getting though the heavier jobs bringing my car CLOSER to being looked at and diagnosed. Not quite 2 weeks of my car just sitting at the service center after waiting for a month for my appointment. Oh well, at least I have $1100 in Uber credits.