Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to place a new Plaid order because Tesla auto-marked me as a reseller (which they then escalated and corrected because I had proof of no intent to sell before buying or making any profit, etc. I just gave my car to my family friend and sold another for the Plaid).

Anyways, it took about 11 days since order to Delivery for my Plaid.

I placed order on 05/15, got VIN 05/19 (NF 478 production date May 10 and was in-transit to NY). Took Delivery 05/26.

All in all 11 days from order to delivery? Essentially they’re handing out Plaids almost instantly - although I seem to have gotten slightly lucky - could be an In-Transit refused delivery which was routed to me instead. But I did get a car within 11 days that came directly from Fremont to my NY delivery center and was the most recent production.
Must be nice. I think I'm on the naughty list because I ordered in January...they tried to give me a car in February but I passed since I knew about the upcoming headlight stuff. Then in March after the new headlights came out I took my hold off, they tried to match me with an older VIN pre-headlights so I said no again...back on hold. Took off hold in April.... I had bouncing EDDs for May, then June, and for the past few weeks I've had "TBD" again with no EDD.

Must be nice. I think I'm on the naughty list because I ordered in January...they tried to give me a car in February but I passed since I knew about the upcoming headlight stuff. Then in March after the new headlights came out I took my hold off, they tried to match me with an older VIN pre-headlights so I said no again...back on hold. Took off hold in April.... I had bouncing EDDs for May, then June, and for the past few weeks I've had "TBD" again with no EDD.
Naughty list :)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I noticed on different forums Model S's that were manufactured late March or early April that their VIN are being assigned now. This seems more of a quality issue hold or waiting for parts. It does not seem to be VIN rejects since that would mean that it would have to be rejected at least twice if not more times for such a late assignment.

Pretty sure I am the first haha.
I had a Model 3 for a year and a half that I lease transferred. I had my MS LR for 3 months which I sold for the Plaid around the same time as the 3 transfer. This caused the trigger.

I still own a 2020 Model X. So just had to give a lot of proof that I still have the X. showed signed and dated bill of sale that showed no profits. Also had my friend send over a signed statement directly from his Tesla account email saying he is a friend and indeed took over the car.
showed bank statements as well with no profitable sales (proof that i’m not a reseller).
they were really serious about this so I’d highly advise against selling/transferring your cars too soon.

I simply happen to be a very indecisive 26yr old. But i’m keeping my Plaid for atleast a few years now that I know I absolutely prefer the Plaid over the LR :)
Definitely grateful that they took the time to go through my case.

Woah first I've heard of banning for reselling. I did some quick searching and it seems some people got banned for reselling a single car?

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like my new S over my existing one. If I sell it, will I get banned?

Woah first I've heard of banning for reselling. I did some quick searching and it seems some people got banned for reselling a single car?

I'm not entirely sure I'm going to like my new S over my existing one. If I sell it, will I get banned?

Yeah it's an overly-aggressive rule with no exact specifics to it. If you sell your car too soon (even within 3 months) then you are risking it. I was really an edge-case and somehow got out but it seemed highly unlikely that I would get out throughout the process and all the back and forth.

I'd say keep the car for a few months and then sell it (if you really don't like it) perhaps - but not instantly.

Yeah it's an overly-aggressive rule with no exact specifics to it. If you sell your car too soon (even within 3 months) then you are risking it. I was really an edge-case and somehow got out but it seemed highly unlikely that I would get out throughout the process and all the back and forth.

I'd say keep the car for a few months and then sell it (if you really don't like it) perhaps - but not instantly.

Well crap, I was planning on making the determination within about a week.
I may reject this VIN and get back in line, and in the meantime try to find a car I can test drive.

Well crap, I was planning on making the determination within about a week.
I may reject this VIN and get back in line, and in the meantime try to find a car I can test drive.
If you feel you're not ready/committed yet then absolutely. You'll probably gain a tilting screen on the next round of VIN assignments :)
Definitely possible to test drive one from a used car/third party dealership or even renting on Turo perhaps. even a 2021 works since it'll give you an exact idea of the feel for the cabin.

Well look what we have here...

Attachments

• 9D00A3B2-7E98-46F3-8866-1B533EEF42DF_1_201_a.jpeg
    9D00A3B2-7E98-46F3-8866-1B533EEF42DF_1_201_a.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 156