Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the new refresh S has changes - nobody is contesting that.

But it's a *refresh* rather than a *redesign*, which typically comes with a new platform/chassis. Reusing the existing platform means that while they can still apply suspension tweaks and such, they're still constrained by the original hardware design.

If it were a new generation of S, accompanied with all-new platform/chassis components, then we might see the half-shaft problem fix.

But it is new components. The front/rear chassis castings, suspension comps, air shocks, brakes - all new. The batteries are redesigned but not sure the actual package is different.

Of course the new refresh S has changes - nobody is contesting that.

But it's a *refresh* rather than a *redesign*, which typically comes with a new platform/chassis. Reusing the existing platform means that while they can still apply suspension tweaks and such, they're still constrained by the original hardware design.

If it were a new generation of S, accompanied with all-new platform/chassis components, then we might see the half-shaft problem fix.

We've heard that there are only ~10% parts that are the same between the old and "refresh" Model S. It may look the same but it is a completely different car on a new chassis.

But it is new components. The front/rear chassis castings, suspension comps, air shocks, brakes - all new. The batteries are redesigned but not sure the actual package is different.
Again, yes, they're new - but new within the constraints of the original design since the S/X still use the original architecture.

Poor (and entirely fictional) example, but let's say the half shafts are 2.5" in diameter, which is why they're so rickety. Tesla realizes they need 4" diameter to make the issue go away - but with the current architecture, the car can only support 3" thick half shafts. So they put on new 3"ers which are "new", but they don't fix the problem.

The refreshed S is still just a refresh, like other OEMs do with their mid-cycle refreshes - there's nothing groundbreaking about the S refresh compared to refreshes other OEMs do. It just took like 10 years for us to get a substantial interior change/marginal exterior change versus 3-4 years like other OEMs.

I suspect we'll see an actually new architecture and substantial redesign with the 4680s.

We've heard that there are only ~10% parts that are the same between the old and "refresh" Model S. It may look the same but it is a completely different car on a new chassis.
Source?

I could very well be mistaken, and would be more than happy to be wrong.

Hopefully the parts are actually new new, and not just tweaked to accommodate existing design constraints.

Hey guys, can you recommend good wrap places in NY/NJ area? Thanks.
You're likely to get more responses in the 'Mid-Atlantic' regional forum on TMC, but at the risk of being too off topic I will say that my friend got his Plaid X wrapped in Xpel Stealth by EuroTech Motorsports in Mahwah (for around half of the quoted prices I've seen in here). That was about 6mos ago or so though, so I'm not sure if inflation had taken hold there yet.

Last edited:
Not to mention the entire body is wider. The roof sun deflector of the old model does not work in the new one, meaning the roof likely changed too.

I think a very valid argument can be made that a refresh S, particularly now with new lights, is as different from a 991 to 992 911. After all, the 992's had carryover engines and the S's do not.

The refreshed S is still just a refresh, like other OEMs do with their mid-cycle refreshes - there's nothing groundbreaking about the S refresh compared to refreshes other OEMs do. It just took like 10 years for us to get a substantial interior change/marginal exterior change versus 3-4 years like other OEMs.

The mid-cycle refreshes you mention other OEMs do are typically nothing more than a few trim pieces, new taillights, maybe headlights, sometimes new colors. Occasionally you’ll see new engines, and the reason for that is to spread development costs between new models and new engines. At least this is all true for BMW I’m less familiar with others.

What Tesla did here is far more than a “mid cycle refresh”. The whole interior is brand new, the front and rear quarter panels are all new, the batteries and motors are all new. Sure, the exterior of the vehicle is not highly differentiated from last gen… but everything else is.

Sure

Why exactly? This is supposedly reconfiguration of the panel in the main house. There’s already a circuit breaker connecting to the garage. That simply needs to be changed to a 125 amp one if not already.

This is where the game is. Necessary?

Should not be a line item separate from the above. In fact done correctly, the sub panel in the garage should be grounded through the panel in the main house. Hence the new large cable should have an appropriate ground wire. If code calls for another ground in the garage, I’d assume that’s already there with the current panel.

Cheapest I have seen because they’re killing you elsewhere.

Whatever.
You all are hilarious nickel and diming on electrical work. If you don't like it get multiple quotes or do it yourself. You are buying a 6 figure car and can't afford a properly installed equipment? I get gouging but this is not. Try to price out the materials yourself then factor in labor.

Again, yes, they're new - but new within the constraints of the original design since the S/X still use the original architecture.

Poor (and entirely fictional) example, but let's say the half shafts are 2.5" in diameter, which is why they're so rickety. Tesla realizes they need 4" diameter to make the issue go away - but with the current architecture, the car can only support 3" thick half shafts. So they put on new 3"ers which are "new", but they don't fix the problem.

I suspect we'll see an actually new architecture and substantial redesign with the 4680s.

Source?

I could very well be mistaken, and would be more than happy to be wrong.

Hopefully the parts are actually new new, and not just tweaked to accommodate existing design constraints.
The new vibration problem is not the same old half shafts problem. The new ones aren’t undersized or wearing out from all the evidence so far.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Update: I did not accept my car today. Long story short(ish)…

On my way out to pick up my car at 4:30 I receive a call to notify me my interest rate increased to 3.74%. When I left my office at 4:00 and the rate was 3.29%. This was the last day of my loan app but everyone was on the same page and hustled to make the delivery today. How can they (in good faith) change the terms of the deal on my way over?

I feel like the SA was trying but could not get the rate back. Someone in credit ran a new app for me at 4:25 and kicked me to the new rate. I am still holding out hope that they will be able to clear this up tomorrow or figure something out. The money difference is not huge but I have never heard of this kind of thing happening. I couldn’t just accept the car under the new rate and feel OK with it.

I managed to check out the car a little. A couple of misaligned items but all the mats and trunk partitions were there. I was in such disbelief about the interest rate change and them not being able to correct the mistake I was not looking too hard at the car. I really hope everything gets straightened out tomorrow and take delivery.

It was cloudy/ rainy out today so the MSM is looking blueish. I am hoping to see in the sun for delivery.

Attachments

• 7F9D9A42-EAC6-49B7-B6AB-405293EB0557.jpeg
    7F9D9A42-EAC6-49B7-B6AB-405293EB0557.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 150

On my way out to pick up my car at 4:30 I receive a call to notify me my interest rate increased to 3.74%. When I left my office at 4:00 and the rate was 3.29%. This was the last day of my loan app but everyone was on the same page and hustled to make the delivery today. How can they (in good faith) change the terms of the deal on my way over?

I feel like the SA was trying but could not get the rate back. Someone in credit ran a new app for me at 4:25 and kicked me to the new rate. I am still holding out hope that they will be able to clear this up tomorrow or figure something out. The money difference is not huge but I have never heard of this kind of thing happening. I couldn’t just accept the car under the new rate and feel OK with it.

I managed to check out the car a little. A couple of misaligned items but all the mats and trunk partitions were there. I was in such disbelief about the interest rate change and them not being able to correct the mistake I was not looking too hard at the car. I really hope everything gets straightened out tomorrow and take delivery.

It was cloudy/ rainy out today so the MSM is looking blueish. I am hoping to see in the sun for delivery.
Damn sorry to hear that. It’s definitely the principle that matters here, and I hope that you’ll get the old rate back!

If you went through Alliant this is normal. Apparently the interest rate for Tesla’s are .2% hire. I had the same happen to me (and everyone else that I have known go through them) where I get one rate and not 10 min later get a phone call from them saying,”oops, we didn’t realize this was for a Tesla . The rates for Tesla are .2% higher “. Pretty sure the app I applied for financing was from the Tesla site but whatever.

Have you checked out credit union rates? Navy Federal offers 2.29-2.79 depending on timeframe. I hope you get your issue resolved.

Dude just get the car and sort out the rate later. So many places to get auto loans and you can probably do better than a 3.29% as others have mentioned.

I get the principle here but to wait all this time and fret over .500%. That’s a head scratcher.

Unfortunately I doubt they will be able to do much, hope I am wrong though.

This is a downside of the operating model of Tesla (control from the top down), although I feel the pros (no price gouging / last minute add ons / tricks by the salesman ) outweigh the cons, it is still unfortunate that when things like this happen and the local SA TRULY wants to help, their hands are tied.

Upper management likely will never even know what happened as they will be able to sell that car to someone else in seconds.

My suggestion would be to take it, even at the higher rate and just re-finance it through someone else.

As mentioned above, you should be able to get a much lower rate through a credit union and this would allow you to take the car AND stick it to the original financier by them getting almost nothing as you take the financing away from them after the fact. (Just make sure it has no early pay off penalties).