Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vibration on my new 2022 Plaid is quite different so far to my 2021 Plaid. It only vibrates now for the first minute or two of driving at around 30-40mph. It even vibrates under regen at these speeds and it’s VERY noticeable through the pedals. Most peculiar. My 2021 had the “normal” vibration at ~40+mph only, 100% of the time after I hit around 1200 miles. Something is different on the newer 2022s as my buddy in NY has a 2022 that behaves like my 2022, and not like my 2021.
Interesting. I get a minor resonance through the ‘Go’ pedal at that same speed range only within the first two minutes of driving. Is gone completely thereafter. And is very minor.

Interesting. I get a minor resonance through the ‘Go’ pedal at that same speed range only within the first two minutes of driving. Is gone completely thereafter. And is very minor.
Yup! Exactly! Something is different on the 2022 Plaids. My friend with a 2022 in NY has the same. It goes away after a minute or two, but what is going on?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yup! Exactly! Something is different on the 2022 Plaids. My friend with a 2022 in NY has the same. It goes away after a minute or two, but what is going on?
Interesting that it goes away - possibly a lubrication issue?

Or maybe something settles when the car isn't in motion, and the shafts (or something else) spinning causes the weight to appropriately redistribute?

Interesting that it goes away - possibly a lubrication issue?

Or maybe something settles when the car isn't in motion, and the shafts (or something else) spinning causes the weight to appropriately redistribute?
I mean who knows. But why is this type of vibration only on the 2022s? It’s quite different to the 2021 vibration at 40mph that’s always there.

I have the same issue on my MXP and have heard others say about having it too.

It goes away quickly and is only after the car has been shut down. Drive it all day without shutdown and it won’t come back. Turn it off for an hour and it returns.

It goes away quickly and is only after the car has been shut down. Drive it all day without shutdown and it won’t come back. Turn it off for an hour and it returns.
Hmm also good to know. So this affects the 2022 MXP and 2022 MSP. Wish we could find out why…

Are you saying that if the car goes to sleep it comes back, and if you don’t let the car sleep it doesn’t?

I hate to say it, but do you think it will make a difference? I thought that Tesla used pretty much the same front seats in all of their vehicles. (Just with a different mounting base for the necessary height to match the vehicle.)
No, the 3/Y seats are nothing like the S/X seats. That being said, the 3 seats are among the most comfortable, supportive seats out there. The new S seats are a bit wider and not as fluffy. Fit my large frame better than my 3 did.

Well, I’m back again. Ordered a M3 last June, took delivery in August. Seats are terribly uncomfortable for me to the point where it has caused lasting pain.

Shopped around for alternatives, but decided to go for the Model S instead.

Ordered one on June 1st, Black/Black with 19s. No FSD. Estimated to arrive between Nov 22 and Feb 23. Looking forward to it!
I thought the 3 seats were very comfy.

It’s critical in any car you adjust seats correctly. And I think Teslas add a slight challenge in the the floor is higher due to the battery packs. You have to understand what that does to your driving posture and what you need to do to deal with it.

You can have issues with and car or any Tesla. I had issues in the X and none in the 3 until I dug into it.

Hmm also good to know. So this affects the 2022 MXP and 2022 MSP. Wish we could find out why…

Are you saying that if the car goes to sleep it comes back, and if you don’t let the car sleep it doesn’t?
Yes, for sure on the MXP. I have not driven an a 2022 MSP. I have 20,000 miles on a 2021 MSP and felt no vibes. Ever.

So perhaps, but not definitively. I have not paid close enough attention to say that for sure. But, for sure, extended gaps in driving, meaning, say, over 120 minutes, the vibration is there. And it’s quite strong for a short time. Then it’s gone.

But really I can’t say on timing. It’s there and has to do with amount of time, but I can’t say how much.

And to add to that and matching what seems others are saying, it only happens after a lengthy period of non-driving. For me, I only notice it leaving work. Never at any other time of day. That's why I never gave it much attention. It may be that I only hit that speed range of 30-40 in the first few minutes of driving leaving work. Departing from home, I'm at 20 or less for the first half mile or so. And most other places, it's also usually below or higher.....all very strange.

Last edited:
Wow - I only ordered a month ago and I just got my VIN!

Ordered 5/9 - EDD 6/5-6/9. RN1171 VIN NF479

The initial EDD was June-August, then Oct-Jan, then June-July. I was expecting a delay but it looks like it could be this week! I've been dragging my heels over getting the charger installed as the estimate was so high ($6,575!) but I suppose I'd better get on it asap. o_O
Congrats dude!
I'm also in Redmond, RN1158 and still waiting since Oct 😳
(newest EDD is June-July but no action on EDD since May)

MS-LR/MidnightSilver/FSD

Yep, - pretty sure my new Plaid is doing the same thing at the exact same speed. I feel it through my foot. I just was out for a very short drive but thought I noticed it at one point on a road I travel down frequently by my house at that speed. Hmm.

Some other things to note about my new refresh Plaid over the 2021 version:

1.) The new headlights are leagues better than the old ones. No more dappled light/shadowing/disco-ball effect. Just much more uniform, and a wider beam, which negates the need for the turning lights the old model had. There are some weird notches in the light at the very top, though, that I'm not sure what they're about - but others have noted them so it's "normal" it appears, but reasons tend to be not known (maybe for reference points for AutoPilot/FSD learning at night?). It's also pretty cool seeing T E S L A light up during Holiday Mode, like on the new 3/Y Performance models with the Matrix LEDs. Anyway, these are night/day better than the previous generation lights. Hopefully we see more adaptive lights in the future with software updates. It's also awesome to have the updated rear end design in terms of appliqué and tail lights. They look modern, we finally have proper, amber turn signals, and overall I adore the updated look.

2.) Fit and finish is a lot better in general (though never perfect). For example, - here's the trim rear door alignment from July-built 2021. For reference, I never saw any that were better until much later in 2021/early 2022. And please ignore the missing bolster (it fell off because... obviously).

Again, this is my 2021. My 2022 is perfect in this regard on both sides.

View attachment 813191

3.) Active Road Noise Reduction is still broken just like it was in my 2021 model, and I recommend everyone turn it off. The racket it makes is pretty obnoxious, and it's really easy to hear traveling at e.g. 25mph when you turn it off and on and off and on to compare. I've NO IDEA how Tesla has managed to make such a crap road noise reduction system, but here we are.

4.) The noted driveline/driveshaft (who knows) vibration might be present still, but I need more time with the car for a full determination since I've barely driven it since picking it up on Friday.

5.) My center console is working correctly in terms of lighting. I know these had been wired/switched incorrectly on some cars for a good number of months, but I'm pleased to report mine is working correctly - even better than my 2021 which is interesting. There's no doubt the switches being activated are doing so in a more advanced fashion, if you compare my videos:

2021 Model S Plaid:

2022 Model S Plaid:

6.) The overall Tesla customer-service experience is still lacking hugely. For a car this expensive you'd expect better, but, nope.

More thoughts to come when I have more than 26 miles on the clock.
Wow. That's not right for 100k car.

Reactions: ryan1220
I thought the 3 seats were very comfy.

It’s critical in any car you adjust seats correctly. And I think Teslas add a slight challenge in the the floor is higher due to the battery packs. You have to understand what that does to your driving posture and what you need to do to deal with it.

You can have issues with and car or any Tesla. I had issues in the X and none in the 3 until I dug into it.
I've tried everything since I took delivery in August. I've read every thread I could find on people having similar issues in the 3/Y. Some were able to resolve with proper adjustments, some were not. For me, it is the seat. I have no issues in the S/X.

Sounds like the CV joint internal clearances are such that they expand to designed clearances. After they cool down, the process starts all over again. A Tesla Service Bulletin states that a car is to be driven before testing for vibration. Then after installation of new shafts they must perform a break-in procedure.

Sounds like the CV joint internal clearances are such that they expand to designed clearances. After they cool down, the process starts all over again. A Tesla Service Bulletin states that a car is to be driven before testing for vibration. Then after installation of new shafts they must perform a break-in procedure.
Possible, but I have my doubts. I live in LA and drive 1 block before my first traffic light. Usually it’s this first block that I feel the vibration. By the time I leave the traffic light the vibration is reduce dramatically. By the next minor intersection it’s pretty much gone.

This means it’s gone within a half-mile maximum. Note, there is no speed gathered in this trip. Maybe a maximum of 50MPH, but usually less.

My doubt comes in here. I don’t think there is enough of a temperature change in any components in this short drive time. Particularly a component that really needs movement to generate any frictional heat at all.

Possible, but I have my doubts. I live in LA and drive 1 block before my first traffic light. Usually it’s this first block that I feel the vibration. By the time I leave the traffic light the vibration is reduce dramatically. By the next minor intersection it’s pretty much gone.

This means it’s gone within a half-mile maximum. Note, there is no speed gathered in this trip. Maybe a maximum of 50MPH, but usually less.

My doubt comes in here. I don’t think there is enough of a temperature change in any components in this short drive time. Particularly a component that really needs movement to generate any frictional heat at all.
That issue you’re describing may be separate and has been brought up before by others. Possibly only on Plaids. Probably not shaft related. Is your issue suspension height sensitive? Is yours a Plaid?

The 45mph-50mph light load vibration does not go away by my understanding. Probably shaft related. Worse on higher suspension settings.