Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's because of many factors. Besides the used car resale mania that will end, I "think" Tesla did a terrible job differentiating the Plaid from the LR. A Porsche Turbo gets so many more features than a regular one or an AMG Mercedes than a regular one. Besides the speed and piping, you get nothing for $40k. They could have added some cooler inside trim features (yoke plaid only) or like kind. JMO
Well for 40k more you do get a nice, shiny plaid badge. 😉

• Funny
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
It's because of many factors. Besides the used car resale mania that will end, I "think" Tesla did a terrible job differentiating the Plaid from the LR. A Porsche Turbo gets so many more features than a regular one or an AMG Mercedes than a regular one. Besides the speed and piping, you get nothing for $40k. They could have added some cooler inside trim features (yoke plaid only) or like kind. JMO
I did a Plaid launch yesterday (with battery preheat, Cheetah stance, the whole 9 yards..) with a friend from out of town, I don't often do them (due it not being a spontaneous thing, it requires a bit of setup), but damn if I don't say "holy *sugar* this was totally worth the extra $40k" every time I do it, lol.

That said, where I do enjoy the sleeper car aspect, I absolutely would have preferred a little something that maybe hints "this is the fastest car in the world" to passerby, lol.

I did a Plaid launch yesterday (with battery preheat, Cheetah stance, the whole 9 yards..) with a friend from out of town, I don't often do them (due it not being a spontaneous thing, it requires a bit of setup), but damn if I don't say "holy *sugar* this was totally worth the extra $40k" every time I do it, lol.

That said, where I do enjoy the sleeper car aspect, I absolutely would have preferred a little something that maybe hints "this is the fastest car in the world" to passerby, lol.
Exactly, you don't buy a Tesla to say look at me, but a special wheel, floor mats, seat belts,brakes painted or seats (more than piping). Stuff that would cost Tesla a few thousand.

You also get a relatively short priority delivery timeframe vs. a year for the LR.
Yes but for us mortals, I don't need a Plaid. The LR is faster or comparable speed to most Porsches. It should have been $20k more than an LR. That would be a fair price with the speed and minimal differentiation. JMO

that was my decision factor. For $20k more, I would have opted for the one additional motor. (Since thats really all you get). But at $40k? For additional acceleration that I'd rarely use? I couldnt do it..and considering I always (at any speed/any time) have more than enough acceleration on tap with the LR? I have zero regrets. (especially at the $79k price I paid)

That said, I def understand those who made the choice and got the plaid. The acceleration (when used) must be nothing short of monstrous. (and I refuse to test drive one...the old saying, dont miss what you've never had/tried).

that was my decision factor. For $20k more, I would have opted for the one additional motor. (Since thats really all you get). But at $40k? For additional acceleration that I'd rarely use? I couldnt do it..and considering I always (at any speed/any time) have more than enough acceleration on tap with the LR? I have zero regrets. (especially at the $79k price I paid)

That said, I def understand those who made the choice and got the plaid. The acceleration (when used) must be nothing short of monstrous. (and I refuse to test drive one...the old saying, dont miss what you've never had/tried).
I may regret it in a little while, but for me it’s also the only time in my life I’ll ever be able to say “I own the fastest accelerating production car in the world”. Even if/when that gets downgraded to “…sedan in the world” that’s still cool.

Agreed that it would have been nice for it to be slightly more differentiated, like BMW does with M cars. But hey, we all still bought it so I guess we’re the suckers.

D81D7B4A-47D8-4F76-B632-ABD152FC035D.jpeg

Hi all, when you do finally get a VIN assigned, how will you know? Do they call, email or text? Or just keep checking the app daily? (hourly for me, LOL). Thanks.

I’m hoping I’m getting close to any day now.
Some get an email notification about needing to process delivery or the "next steps for delivery". Some use browser add-ons to continually scrape the page. Or the age old just keep refreshing the app or website manually.

It is not like the bat signal though, no flashy lights, doge meme or Elon's face light up the sky. Sorry.

It is not like the bat signal though, no flashy lights, doge meme or Elon's face light up the sky. Sorry.
I dunno about that. When I got my VIN, the clouds parted, three turtle doves came and landed on me, gave me roses, and flew off.

... or they just sent me a text like you said. I think I actually got the "pay us now" notification before the delivery scheduling one.

40K more for a Plaid seems to be a bargain. You could spend $300,000 for a McLaren 720s and be a second slower than the Plaid. 😬
Its all relative. INcluding to ones income. To some with high incomes/net worth? $40k is like, $400.00. To others? May be a bigger hit..

But overall, is the performance to dollar ratio a "bargain" for a Plaid when compared to anything else in that 2 second 0-60, 9 second 1/4 mile range? Its a MAJOR bargain.

Its just that compared to the LR...its a bit less of a bargain.

I dunno about that. When I got my VIN, the clouds parted, three turtle doves came and landed on me, gave me roses, and flew off.

... or they just sent me a text like you said. I think I actually got the "pay us now" notification before the delivery scheduling one.
I mean, the proper way would be the skies parting and a fart noise plays letting you know you were the selected one.

Future software update to the Starlink satellites.

Many car companies make you pay for the floor mats. It is nice for Tesla to include them. But many owners end up buying all weather rubber mats anyway. They should consider making the mats optional to cut down waste. I have a few sets still in my garage collecting dust.
Like the charger ... Tesla would probably just stop including floor mats but then keep the car price the same

Little update, service center touched up the scratch at the base of the passenger door. Defect is still visible if you get up close but no one will know unless they specifically look for it up close. I think I'm going to let it pass. They did offer a $300 service credit. Other option is body shop and presumably repaint of the entire door. Dont want to do that really, worried I may end up with another issue.

Overall glad I accepted the car. It's well put together, especially the interior. I was not expecting that. Seats are not as comfortable as my 21 f150 platinum but the cooled seat function really shocked me. They work extremely well, and that's on the lowest setting. Almost feels as if they are ducting in actual A/C instead of just a fan pulling air thru the seat perforations. The ones in my ford are basically useless even on highest setting.

Next stop is PPF.

Its all relative. INcluding to ones income. To some with high incomes/net worth? $40k is like, $400.00. To others? May be a bigger hit..

But overall, is the performance to dollar ratio a "bargain" for a Plaid when compared to anything else in that 2 second 0-60, 9 second 1/4 mile range? Its a MAJOR bargain.

Its just that compared to the LR...its a bit less of a bargain.
I'm not anti Plaid. For the speed it is a no brainer compared to the field. I just feel like compared to the LR, they could give you more for that 40k. Even the M3P compated to M3LR gives you different wheels, painted calipers and track mode.

I'm not anti Plaid. For the speed it is a no brainer compared to the field. I just feel like compared to the LR, they could give you more for that 40k. Even the M3P compared to M3LR gives you different wheels, painted calipers and track mode.
Track mode is exclusive to the Plaid vs the LR (it's the least they could do), but they could've absolutely tried harder to differentiate. The P100D vs the 100D had even more differences, in that the the 100D only had "Chill" and "Normal" acceleration modes, vs the P100D's Chill/Sport/Ludicrous, and the 100D did not have the launch mode. Now, the LR has a 3rd "Insane" mode *and* launch control included which does make it closer to the Plaid. The P100D also have a more aggressive throttle mapping, which they likely do with the refresh cars as well (although I haven't driven an LR to be able to confirm that).

I don't disagree with it being ~20k of difference as it is, but I also don't disagree with them charging $40k because it is such a screaming bargain compared to the competition. Like I said, they could have (and should have) tried a little harder to make it more "special", but I still love it.