Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My situation keeps getting more and more interesting and frustrating. Had a VIN and delivery schedule for June 15th, 1 hour before they reassign my vin and tell me the car never came. Then comes last week they give me a new vin and schedule delivery from this Monday to Wednesday. I had to alter a sh*t ton of plans because work sending me to ny for m-w and they allowed me to schedule pickup for Thursday. 6pm Monday comes and they text me that there was a problem and I have to go back in line for a car. I proceed to call my service center to figure wth is going on.. all they tell me is 🤷🏻‍♂️ Your 30k above msrp and it seems like tesla is messing with you because of it. I have no service advisors reaching to me, I have had 1 contact that now bailed after the second failed delivery.

Now my delivery is out into august now and I’m more intrigued at how much more worse this can get. This is my 3rd tesla, model s -> y now another s and never had this issue…. Eoq maybe? 30k msrp (the fact the service rep mentioned it?) idk

My situation keeps getting more and more interesting and frustrating. Had a VIN and delivery schedule for June 15th, 1 hour before they reassign my vin and tell me the car never came. Then comes last week they give me a new vin and schedule delivery from this Monday to Wednesday. I had to alter a sh*t ton of plans because work sending me to ny for m-w and they allowed me to schedule pickup for Thursday. 6pm Monday comes and they text me that there was a problem and I have to go back in line for a car. I proceed to call my service center to figure wth is going on.. all they tell me is 🤷🏻‍♂️ Your 30k above msrp and it seems like tesla is messing with you because of it. I have no service advisors reaching to me, I have had 1 contact that now bailed after the second failed delivery.

Now my delivery is out into august now and I’m more intrigued at how much more worse this can get. This is my 3rd tesla, model s -> y now another s and never had this issue…. Eoq maybe? 30k msrp (the fact the service rep mentioned it?) idk
That's odd as you really can't buy a Tesla for anything *other* than MSRP at time of order. Regardless, you don't want anything to do with a car that has "a problem", it's much better to wait a few more weeks and get something factory fresh.

What I would do is show up at a service center, in person, and talk to a sales advisor. If you're nice to them, they're generally only too happy to help... alternatively you could also call the number for your local place and pick the option for sales, but that won't necessarily have the same outcome. Fortunately it seems as if the plaid supply is finally (after a year) catching up to demand, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long to get a new match, but the price difference ($30k over!?) is really wonky and needs to be fixed.

I gues with all the texts im getting of available Plaids, Tesla will fall short of it's delivery forecast.
I'd be interested to know how many plaids they've sold in total. There isn't a super large market for $150k cars and honestly I'm surprised it took them a whole year for supply to catch up to demand. A quick googling tells me that BMW sells about 500-1000 7 series a month, Mercedes sells about 1500 or so S-Classes a month, and Q4 2021 Model S+X sales in total was 11,570 and we know many more opt for the LR over the plaid. Some quick napkin math says it's probably less than 1000 a month... it amounts to maybe 1% of their output? Almost a rounding error at that point, heh.

They have not specified those wheels and tires yet as the requirement to unlock 200mph. The carbon ceramic brakes (or any other hardware) were not a requirement when I ordered or took delivery. They are welcome to upgrade my brakes anytime though.

I suspect when they post the specific requirements they will be bombarded with upset owners (justified) demands for no charge upgrades.
Rut Roh! ;)

"A Tesla Model S Plaid that has been hacked to remove software limitations has reached a top speed of over 200 mph (and then some) for the very first time, delivering on Tesla’s promise.When Tesla first announced the Model S Plaid, its new top-performance flagship electric vehicle, the automaker promised a top speed of 200 mph (322 km/h). However, when it was first delivered last year, the vehicle “only” featured a top speed of 163 mph (262 km/h).

Earlier this year, Tesla released a new ‘Track Mode’ for the Model S Plaid that pushed the top speed to 175 mph (282 km/h). As far as we know, this has been the fastest top speed a Tesla Model S Plaid or any Tesla vehicle has achieved to date. It’s not clear what is really preventing Tesla from enabling the promised 200 mph top speed. It could be the brakes, which Tesla is now offering to upgrade with a carbon ceramic kit for $20,000, or it could also be worries about the three motors or battery pack."

I gues with all the texts im getting of available Plaids, Tesla will fall short of it's delivery forecast.
Overall demand wise 3/Y delivery estimates are still way out and healthy, and they dominate delivery estimates as they outsell S/X 20 to 1. If anything at all, the incremental effect of abundant Plaid inventory is a small margin hit.

For this quarter deliveries might fall short, but more due to supply-side related constraints. Guess we will find out one way or the other in a few days.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Had Tesla kept the original Plaid+, I might have considered it. But I just can't justify myself a Plaid. For all my practical needs, LR checked all the right boxes - never mind it actually has higher rated range than a Plaid.

That said, still would love to experience the Plaid acceleration...if only just once...
Plaid is a grown man's toy who can burn 40K without blinking an eye. Others spend hundreds thousand for an exotic car for their look, for their sound and for the badge. There is no justification needed.

I ended up with a Plaid for precisely $20k less than current pricing as I was locked if for what seemed like a decade. Only thing it doesn’t have is the swivel/tilt.

I grin every day to work and back. I grin just looking at the damn thing and knowing what it is capable of. I grin every time I gun it.

I smiled when a friend of a friend was showing a few of us his LR. It indeed also provided a grin upon launch. But not a sugar eating one.

Do I regret my Plaid? What do you think?

Last edited:
I ended up with a Plaid for precisely $20k less than current pricing as I was locked if for what seemed like a decade. Only thing it doesn’t have is the swivel/tilt.

I grin every day to work and back. I grin just looking at the damn thing and knowing what it is capable of. I grin every time I gun it.

I smiled when a friend of a friend was showing a few of us his LR. It indeed also provided a grin upon launch. But not a sugar eating one.

Do I regret my Plaid? What do you think?
Today is my one year anniversary of owning my Plaid. I have to say that I have had a giant grin for every one of the 365 days. 😁

I just want to thank all of you for your post. I sit here and read and read and read. I will have a mslr one day. I have to be very patient and wait 1 year to get a used 2022 or whatever God wants me to have.

I read the model s delivery update page because it's a bunch of people that are really into tesla and already have one or is eager to get one and it's alot of good information here amongst the veterans. I just want to thank everyone for sharing their situations on here good or bad.

I went to pick up my car today but ultimately decided to reject the delivery. Surprisingly the interior had minimal issues. The exterior car had some some issues like a minor paint scuff on the driver's side door and a scratch on the glass roof (Tesla said they could replace the glass). The front hood was not flush with the side of the car, but they adjusted it and it looked a little better although not 100% flush. However, the most glaring issue was the trunk. The left side of the trunk panel was not flush with the left side of the car at all, revealing a huge panel gap and visibly sticking out. Service centre tried to adjust it but couldn't get it right as the shape of trunk just doesn't fit the rest of the body well. I guess that's Tesla quality for you. I thought long and hard if I should just accept the delivery but I couldn't justify paying over 150K CAD for a car with this noticeable issue. The Tesla rep tried to convince me so hard to keep the car, saying I could bring it to a bodyshop to have a look at it and suggesting it may take another few months to get another vehicle.
IMG_8441-1.jpg

Not the best picture but it definitely is worse in person. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long til I get another vehicle.

Another picture of the gap. I swear I could fit the tip of my pinky in there.
IMG_8438.jpg

Last edited:
My gap was similar. But because the clear coat basically peeled off my trunk, a trip to the body shop was agreed to by Tesla.

While there, they fixed virtually every panel and had to reshape the trunk to make it follow the curve of the quarter panel.

It didn’t come out perfect as I did not want them removing the PPF from the quarter panel for the last body contouring needed to be spot on.

Good for you rejecting it. I was out my vehicle for 3 weeks.

But it is indeed spectacular now. :)

Took delivery tonight as well. Card has many light scratches I assume from the wash and 2 huge deep scratches on the front bumper. I also have a dead pixel on the instrument cluster display.Service ticket to fix the deep scratches, and detailer will buff out the others. No panel gaps were eye glaring for me, but I have a black car maybe less noticeable.

One of my life goals has been to work on my bravery. Today I took a giant leap by ordering and taking delivery of a Tesla that was built in the last week of the fiscal quarter.

That said, I spent an hour going through six pages of checkpoints and was pleasantly surprised with how well put together she was--I was fairly convinced I was gonna find all sorts of issues. The only big issue I found was the passenger side headlight assembly is rubbing up against the front trunk hood. I could even see marks on the bottom of the lid where they (unsuccessfully) tried to adjust the bump stops to make it fit better.

Yoke, turn signals, and shifting still doesn't strike me as a wise design, but I'm told I'll get used to it (which kinda screams bad design to me, also). I knew the Model S wasn't going to be a driver's car when I ordered it, but the drive home would have been a lot more fun with a normal wheel and driver interface...but I'm trusting this car will still be cool enough that dealing with those will be worth it.

While I was pleasantly surprised to see that they gave me a mobile connector, it only had the NEMA 14-5 adaptor. I ordered the NEMA 14-50, but I'm still waiting to get it...so now I'm trickle charging with the 14-5 for the next 17 hours, since I'm gonna drive her across state tomorrow.

The only other disappointment was learning that creep mode is not available on the Model S. :(

Took delivery tonight as well. Card has many light scratches I assume from the wash and 2 huge deep scratches on the front bumper. I also have a dead pixel on the instrument cluster display.Service ticket to fix the deep scratches, and detailer will buff out the others. No panel gaps were eye glaring for me, but I have a black car maybe less noticeable.
That’s the first I’ve heard of pixel issues on the instrument cluster. They really should have caught that in QC before installing it. Got a pic of that?

That’s the first I’ve heard of pixel issues on the instrument cluster. They really should have caught that in QC before installing it. Got a pic of that?
Hmmm couldn’t you say that they should have caught a lot of things in QC before installing? Tesla installed a broken door panel on my car prior to installing. I think they just install and hope the owner accepts it.

I also feel like I got lucky with my car seeing all of these QC issues lately. I thought mine was bad at the time I took delivery but it’s actually pretty good relatively speaking. Now if they could just fix my memory seat…