Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm couldn’t you say that they should have caught a lot of things in QC before installing? Tesla installed a broken door panel on my car prior to installing. I think they just install and hope the owner accepts it.

I also feel like I got lucky with my car seeing all of these QC issues lately. I thought mine was bad at the time I took delivery but it’s actually pretty good relatively speaking. Now if they could just fix my memory seat…
Right, like the incorrect interior trim piece with a completely different color in our car. That missed all QC steps? no, it was intentional likely due to a part shortage. Everyone played dumb.

Tesla may be getting better in some areas and there may be fewer QC issues, but they still exist, and some are pretty egregious.

When Elon sent that memo about how they should no longer prioritize getting cars out at EoQ "at all costs", because well, it was costing too much, I rejoiced. They could instead focus on building cars correctly, not quickly. It seems though that some of the managers are still in the EOQ rush mentality (or Elon changed his mind), which is no good for anyone.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Overall demand wise 3/Y delivery estimates are still way out and healthy, and they dominate delivery estimates as they outsell S/X 20 to 1. If anything at all, the incremental effect of abundant Plaid inventory is a small margin hit.

For this quarter deliveries might fall short, but more due to supply-side related constraints. Guess we will find out one way or the other in a few days.
Agree. I'm talkng near term. Shareholder for over 4 years.

Got any pics of this?
32DC6BD2-2A42-447D-86B2-45F7F8CB0503.jpeg

I didn’t take a before photo. I just noticed a large dark patch that wasn’t shiny in this area.

Attachments

• EE641811-A623-4978-8BCA-33F379874FAF.jpeg
    EE641811-A623-4978-8BCA-33F379874FAF.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 90
Well, accepted delivery yesterday. A few minor, yet annoying issues. First, no floor mats as expected. Second, lots of scuffs and scratches, buffed out by the detailer. Third, hatch misaligned. Fourth interior panel coming off.

I did get a mobile charger, but man, for this price…

Drove about 100 miles so far and drives great. Just would expect a more special delivery. My rep was great and very knowledgeable.

Attachments

• C48AA4A3-0907-4EFF-90CC-3E9376DAFD05.jpeg
    C48AA4A3-0907-4EFF-90CC-3E9376DAFD05.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 87
  • 87CE0A24-83FD-4BB3-8816-5B306780AB2D.jpeg
    87CE0A24-83FD-4BB3-8816-5B306780AB2D.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 90
  • B3893BBB-D2D7-4174-8FD6-AEAFF97E1918.jpeg
    B3893BBB-D2D7-4174-8FD6-AEAFF97E1918.jpeg
    788.5 KB · Views: 88
  • C7CE9893-DBB1-4FFD-BFB0-55FF2CB21DBD.jpeg
    C7CE9893-DBB1-4FFD-BFB0-55FF2CB21DBD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Well, accepted delivery yesterday. A few minor, yet annoying issues. First, no floor mats as expected. Second, lots of scuffs and scratches, buffed out by the detailer. Third, hatch misaligned. Fourth interior panel coming off.

Drove about 100 miles so far and drives great. Just would expect a more special delivery. My rep was great and very knowledgeable.
I picked up a black mslr last night as well. It was filled with scratches and swirls (i am sure all the other colors have them too but harder to see). Panel gaps don't really bother me that much and I do see trim that is not even.

Can we talk Sentry mode for a minute?

So do I recall this correctly that currently on the refresh S/X we cannot currently view the alerts inside the actual car? Does the car or app notify us in anyway if we had an alert trigger? If yes, is it real-time in the app so I could potentially run out to see what is going on? Or do I have to wait until I actually notice my car has been violated (fingers crossed this never happens) and then pull the memory stick and hope the alert is saved on it?

Can we talk Sentry mode for a minute?

So do I recall this correctly that currently on the refresh S/X we cannot currently view the alerts inside the actual car? Does the car or app notify us in anyway if we had an alert trigger? If yes, is it real-time in the app so I could potentially run out to see what is going on? Or do I have to wait until I actually notice my car has been violated (fingers crossed this never happens) and then pull the memory stick and hope the alert is saved on it?
No real-time alerts in app. Car notifies when it goes off, but does it by flashing its headlights (so you have to actually be looking at it, and if you were, you'd see whatever it was capturing anyway). The alarm alerts you real-time, but alarm =/= sentry.

When you get back into your car after sentry has activated, it will have an alert with the number, and you can view the playback using the Dashcam viewer app in the car itself.

Definitely something that seems be common sense but isn't actually a part of the software.

Last edited:
Right, like the incorrect interior trim piece with a completely different color in our car. That missed all QC steps? no, it was intentional likely due to a part shortage. Everyone played dumb.

Tesla may be getting better in some areas and there may be fewer QC issues, but they still exist, and some are pretty egregious.
That part saddens me. My first job was a QC engineer at the NUMMI plant (predecessor to Tesla). We had such high standards for quality...
While I'm thrilled that the plant has seen a third life (it was GM before the Toyota/GM joint venture of NUMMI), and I'm proud to finally own a car coming out of that facility, I do wish that Tesla would focus more on QC. It's not an unknown and there is a wealth of industry knowledge in this space. With all of the resources at its disposal, I'm still surprised that, 10 years into mass production, Tesla is not getting on top of this. While the company has/had a head start over its eventual direct competitors (Merc, BMW, etc), that advantage will erode and customers will start to migrate to better-built alternatives. "Today" is not that day yet, but "tomorrow" is not very far away and QC doesn't improve overnight. Time to get to work, Tesla!

That a pillar is absolutely egregious. Its blatantly obvious tesla doesn’t prioritize. I don’t expect perfection but there should not be obvious defects.

Mine came with an obvious paint defect likely from transport but nevertheless should not have been sent out for delivery. Luckily my interior seems flawless. I’m very pleased with it. Got all mats, panels and mobile charger too.

Overall can i complain for the price? Not really. Yes, 140k but porsches closest competitor is 215k.

That part saddens me. My first job was a QC engineer at the NUMMI plant (predecessor to Tesla). We had such high standards for quality...
While I'm thrilled that the plant has seen a third life (it was GM before the Toyota/GM joint venture of NUMMI), and I'm proud to finally own a car coming out of that facility, I do wish that Tesla would focus more on QC. It's not an unknown and there is a wealth of industry knowledge in this space. With all of the resources at its disposal, I'm still surprised that, 10 years into mass production, Tesla is not getting on top of this. While the company has/had a head start over its eventual direct competitors (Merc, BMW, etc), that advantage will erode and customers will start to migrate to better-built alternatives. "Today" is not that day yet, but "tomorrow" is not very far away and QC doesn't improve overnight. Time to get to work, Tesla!
I often wonder if QC is more difficult/less of a priority when they are running the Fremont facility, I believe at times nearly 50% over capacity. To me you only do that at the sacrifice of many things one of them being QC. my .02.

I often wonder if QC is more difficult/less of a priority when they are running the Fremont facility, I believe at times nearly 50% over capacity. To me you only do that at the sacrifice of many things one of them being QC. my .02.

It's either the lack of care/prioritization (as they know customers will take most cars, at least they have up to this point) or the lack of capability. I do think that it's the former, as the latter exists in the global manufacturing knowledge base.

To your point, they are producing more vehicles than that plant should be capable of. Back in the day, we had a takt time of ~55s for the Corolla and ~100-110s (?) for the Tacoma. This means that we made ~980 Corollas per day + another 500 Tacomas. Call it 1,500 vehicles per day, or 360k per year, give or take. Tesla seems to be producing closer to 600k cars per year out of that plant, so it's clear that they're pumping them out at an incredible rate of speed.

Given that, if I were a betting man, I'd venture to guess that they sacrificed QC production line space and focus only on the safety-related checks. At this speed, they'd need quite a bit of space to do all of the checks for issues that we keep finding, and then having the space / personnel to fix them all. My guess is that they're just betting that customers will accept the cars as-is, and that the vast majority will not make a fuss about them; for those that do, they'll fix them later, and that's cheaper.

It's either the lack of care/prioritization (as they know customers will take most cars, at least they have up to this point) or the lack of capability. I do think that it's the former, as the latter exists in the global manufacturing knowledge base.

To your point, they are producing more vehicles than that plant should be capable of. Back in the day, we had a takt time of ~55s for the Corolla and ~100-110s (?) for the Tacoma. This means that we made ~980 Corollas per day + another 500 Tacomas. Call it 1,500 vehicles per day, or 360k per year, give or take. Tesla seems to be producing closer to 600k cars per year out of that plant, so it's clear that they're pumping them out at an incredible rate of speed.

Given that, if I were a betting man, I'd venture to guess that they sacrificed QC production line space and focus only on the safety-related checks. At this speed, they'd need quite a bit of space to do all of the checks for issues that we keep finding, and then having the space / personnel to fix them all. My guess is that they're just betting that customers will accept the cars as-is, and that the vast majority will not make a fuss about them; for those that do, they'll fix them later, and that's cheaper.
The question is whether it really is cheaper long term. You build a lot of goodwill by delivering a car without major issues. Some of these cars being delivered are a joke in terms of QC. Service isn’t at the level it should be either, especially for cars in the 6-figure region, so breeding frustration from day 1 doesn’t a repeat customer make. That hurts in the longterm.

The question is whether it really is cheaper long term. You build a lot of goodwill by delivering a car without major issues. Some of these cars being delivered are a joke in terms of QC. Service isn’t at the level it should be either, especially for cars in the 6-figure region, so breeding frustration from day 1 doesn’t a repeat customer make. That hurts in the longterm.
Agreed. They are currently passing on the QC to the consumer and hoping for the best and then just fixing after delivery.

Which would make sense based on @DaBean 's comments regarding forgoing QC space for production. Interesting perspective from someone that clearly has knowledge in this arena.

We can only hope that they shift and make it more of a priority for the near future. The rate they are churning cars out right now they need to do something before it snowballs out of control and they trip and fall on their face. Which now as a TESLA owner I really do not want to see. I am cheering for them to fix things.