Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. They are currently passing on the QC to the consumer and hoping for the best and then just fixing after delivery.

Which would make sense based on @DaBean 's comments regarding forgoing QC space for production. Interesting perspective from someone that clearly has knowledge in this arena.

We can only hope that they shift and make it more of a priority for the near future. The rate they are churning cars out right now they need to do something before it snowballs out of control and they trip and fall on their face. Which now as a TESLA owner I really do not want to see. I am cheering for them to fix things.

It's just a hypothesis, of course... but would make sense to me. If I think of how much space we had dedicated to QC, it's basically the whole NW side of the plant. This included both Corolla and Tacoma inspection lines, offline inspection, sound & water tunnels, and massive repair/staging areas. My hypothesis is based on the expected production line speed, since the faster you go, the more stations you need. Of course, given the sparse interiors of the cars, I would expect final assembly to be marginally simpler than for Corolla

The question is whether it really is cheaper long term. You build a lot of goodwill by delivering a car without major issues. Some of these cars being delivered are a joke in terms of QC. Service isn’t at the level it should be either, especially for cars in the 6-figure region, so breeding frustration from day 1 doesn’t a repeat customer make. That hurts in the longterm.
Agreed... and that's the big unknown. If you look at the numbers, people seem to buy multiple Teslas indicating that they're willing to overlook these issues, but there are plenty who have already bought their last. I would hope that Tesla is monitoring churn and return buyers, but I wouldn't be willing to bet my life that they're taking actions on that at the moment.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I went to pick up my car today but ultimately decided to reject the delivery. Surprisingly the interior had minimal issues. The exterior car had some some issues like a minor paint scuff on the driver's side door and a scratch on the glass roof (Tesla said they could replace the glass). The front hood was not flush with the side of the car, but they adjusted it and it looked a little better although not 100% flush. However, the most glaring issue was the trunk. The left side of the trunk panel was not flush with the left side of the car at all, revealing a huge panel gap and visibly sticking out. Service centre tried to adjust it but couldn't get it right as the shape of trunk just doesn't fit the rest of the body well. I guess that's Tesla quality for you. I thought long and hard if I should just accept the delivery but I couldn't justify paying over 150K CAD for a car with this noticeable issue. The Tesla rep tried to convince me so hard to keep the car, saying I could bring it to a bodyshop to have a look at it and suggesting it may take another few months to get another vehicle.View attachment 823341
Not the best picture but it definitely is worse in person. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long til I get another vehicle.

Another picture of the gap. I swear I could fit the tip of my pinky in there.
View attachment 823345
After reading repeatedly the horror quality stories for brand new Tesla, I still cannot imagine how a car manufacture could allow and deliver defective products shamelessly. If they even have a QC Officer, that person should join the unemployment line. We paid over 100K for a car like that? Bringing a brand new car to body shop for fixing? You must be kidding me. Good for you by rejecting this piece of work. Better luck next time. It is hit or miss quality.

After reading repeatedly the horror quality stories for brand new Tesla, I still cannot imagine how a car manufacture could allow and deliver defective products shamelessly. If they even have a QC Officer, that person should join the unemployment line. We paid over 100K for a car like that? Bringing a brand new car to body shop for fixing? You must be kidding me. Good for you by rejecting this piece of work. Better luck next time. It is hit or miss quality.
Exactly this. It’s bs and everyone that buys a Tesla including myself is just like f it whatever.. I’ve been through so much crap trying to get my LR model s on a reservation that I placed a year ago. 2 scheduled delivery’s both cars “something happened”. The rep was like 🤷🏻‍♂️.. ur over msrp they don’t care. It’s a shame.. nice car shitty delivery

Has anyone else experienced a car with cheap touchups that easily come off with rubbing alcohol? I noticed some matte, tar-like defects on the car (deep blue metallic) and I cleaned them off with alcohol and it was paint. One area was hiding what looked like a big rock injury with damage to clearcoat.
Yes, I picked up my Plaid last Wednesday and saw a smudge on the corner of the hood near the passengers side. A wipe of a cloth with alcohol removed the smudge and took it to bear metal. I could not believe they tried to pass that paint repair off especially on their flagship Plaid. I found 6 other areas that Tesla will have to repaint, so disappointing... They did agree to handle all repairs without a hassle and if they didn't, I would have rejected the car.

That a pillar is absolutely egregious. Its blatantly obvious tesla doesn’t prioritize. I don’t expect perfection but there should not be obvious defects.

Mine came with an obvious paint defect likely from transport but nevertheless should not have been sent out for delivery. Luckily my interior seems flawless. I’m very pleased with it. Got all mats, panels and mobile charger too.

Overall can i complain for the price? Not really. Yes, 140k but porsches closest competitor is 215k.
Don’t agree on the comparison. I have a Plaid and had a Taycan 4S before this. The quality difference is staggering. Price wise, quite similar and yes you could say the plaid is a faster car but at this price point, the expectation for a QC’d product shouldn’t even be a thought.

I’m not really a brand loyalist, I like to try different things. I can’t say this delivery experience makes me very likely to repeat purchase, and we are on the market for another EV.

The Plaid is a cool, fast car with some neat features and the farts make my kids laugh, but others are catching up technologically and probably already surpass on product quality.

I guess I’m stuck wondering what Tesla is trying to be from a brand perspective. I would love to look at a survey that asks about likelihood of repeat purchases with all of these other offerings coming on line.

For anyone curious, I just downloaded 2022.20 and it includes green light chime. I don't have EAP/FSD.
16567688616906636831498048410470.jpg

Don’t agree on the comparison. I have a Plaid and had a Taycan 4S before this. The quality difference is staggering. Price wise, quite similar and yes you could say the plaid is a faster car but at this price point, the expectation for a QC’d product shouldn’t even be a thought.

I’m not really a brand loyalist, I like to try different things. I can’t say this delivery experience makes me very likely to repeat purchase, and we are on the market for another EV.

The Plaid is a cool, fast car with some neat features and the farts make my kids laugh, but others are catching up technologically and probably already surpass on product quality.

I guess I’m stuck wondering what Tesla is trying to be from a brand perspective. I would love to look at a survey that asks about likelihood of repeat purchases with all of these other offerings coming on line.
I have a LR on order and the build quality and service experience is really making me pause, especially for a $100k car. The thought that I have to bring detailed checklists at delivery is a turn off. Never had to do that with my other cars. I also have a BMW i4 M50 on order which is also putting me through the production roller coaster. The EV tech in the BMW is probably not as good as the Model S but I do like that I was able to configure the car with a lot of options. And still pay under $80K. Still debating which car to take if they both come available within my required timeline but the having more reliable quality and an extensive service center network is making me lean towards the BMW.

I have a LR on order and the build quality and service experience is really making me pause, especially for a $100k car. The thought that I have to bring detailed checklists at delivery is a turn off. Never had to do that with my other cars. I also have a BMW i4 M50 on order which is also putting me through the production roller coaster. The EV tech in the BMW is probably not as good as the Model S but I do like that I was able to configure the car with a lot of options. And still pay under $80K. Still debating which car to take if they both come available within my required timeline but the having more reliable quality and an extensive service center network is making me lean towards the BMW.

What's the real world wait on the BMW electric cars these days out of curiosity?

Wow that’s a joke. I’ve picked up three Teslas and in each case I was given the key card and told to just check out the car completely before accepting delivery.
In Texas, because it's illegal for them to sell them direct.. you have to pay in full (or with financing "finished") days before your delivery date. I also was required to have proof of insurance 3 days prior to my pickup date because they do the temporary registration for you (which requires it). It has a bunch to do with the legal transferring of ownership and the fact you aren't technically buying the car directly in Texas. From what I've seen the inability to go inside before "accepted" is pretty common here (I'm literally going to the newest Service center which is the closest one to the headquarters in Austin). I mostly expect it is because of the complications of what happens if you decide you don't want the car, they've done a lot of legal *sugar* since they already "sold" the car before transferring it into the state. I agree it's a shitty deal and I hope it gets changed, but I didn't seem to have much choice in the matter considering how they do it here. If I didn't accept it I highly doubt they would have wire transferred me back all the money for the car while I waited another few months for a "new" one. Thankfully it mostly worked out for me anyway (only 2 issues identified in the car and both of them they agreed to fix without question.)

Interesting that they added that to the free AP...
Paid $10K kicking and screaming as they wouldn't allow me to remove as I had already made 1 change prior due to FOMO.
No FSD (took delivery in Feb after 1 year wait) and prices coming down and features showing up for free... Not sure what to think of it... Maybe just ignore 🙉

But, for those waiting, repeating numerous folks who helped me be sane (almost) waiting for the full year, the car is darn AWESOME!!.. outside of the fit and finish... Worth the wait in my opinion....

Had recieved a call from Nevada Tesla rep asking me of any trade yesturday. So I must be getting close..
EDD 7/21 TO 8/25
I think I received a call early last week but that went straight to voicemail because of my phone settings but I immediately got a text talking about courtesy trade in evaluation. I can't remember the date range then but something like end 07 to end 08.

Then it moved to a 3 week 07 window then 2 week window like 07/13 to 07/27 yesterday. By night time, it was at 07/13 to 07-17 and a vin assigned.

RN1153
NF483- VIN

First road trip in My 2022 MSLR.
Trip from Southern Illinois to Wester North Carolina
1200-mile round trip
Car functioned flawlessly. Quiet and smooth with no creaks or leaks.

Charging at superchargers was particularly easy. Trying to find other charges (that worked) was particularly difficult. Not sure how other EV owners get charge outside big cities when traveling. Hints on finding alternate charging welcome. I've owned a Model3 for 3 years but have only charged at home.
At my destination I was able to plug into a standard outlet and get 5 to 6 miles of charge and hour. Good thing I carry a 12-gauge 100ft extension cable. outlets are not always covenant.

The car feels big. I have not owned a full-size sedan in years, and it took me a bit to get used to the cars size. Would love to see Tesla come out with a MS coupe with a shorter wheelbase. Would never call the MS nimble. Quick. Fast. Powerful, but never nimble. Even the throttle seems a bit heavy for my taste.

One peddle driving is the best. Might have used the brakes 4 or 5 times in 1200 miles.

Used "autosteer" (not FSD) quite a bit. Overall worked very well, but far from flawless. 3 or 4 Phantom braking incidents in the middle of the interstate, usually after a car or truck took an exit. One braking incident was change in pavement texture. Car would sometime wonder as exits would approach. I still think FSD is 5 years away and would be hard to justify $12K. I think if you are paying $100k+ for a MS or MX FSD should be included, especially if the product is still in beta.
Maybe add FSD to the Plaid to set it apart. People with FSD chime in. What do you think?

The yoke is good. In many ways superior to a standard wheel. Cruising long range is easy and natural.

I believe the music apps are inferior to CarPlay. Sirius disappears at times and other app give too little info. Streaming from my phone give very few options forcing me to use my device to easily get playlist or expand artist and album selection.
The large screen is not used to its full potential. I'm not a user experience professional (but my wife is) and I would say much more could be done with the expansive real-estate provided.

Placement of the turn signal is just dumb. Would much rather use the scroll wheel, a toggle, or dedicated buttons on either side of the yoke.

Storage is great. The sub-trunk fit 2 duffle bags leaving the whole cargo area for my dogs

Voice control works well and is intuitive.

I did not buy this car to save money on gas or to save the planet. I purchased a Tesla because I like power and tech. I like Elon's vision and have invested in Tesla's future. it only makes sense to buy the cars.

I know this post goes all over the place
Point is the car is very good and would be difficult to go back to buying ICE vehicles.

Despite all the horror quality reports, mine is near perfect. I wash my car myself and if there is any fit and paint imperfection, I would notice. None found. Of course most on the forum report issues and few would take time to say they have a perfect delivery. So, it is a hit or miss if you get issues. I would be very upset if they have to repaint my new car. I had many BMW since the 80's and they are quality cars but everyone showed engine issues after a few years. To put it bluntly, they all leak (meaning engine leak). I switched to Tesla in 2014. The design has some quirks. The horn button on the yoke is stupidly placed. The rear entertainment screen cannot control in the front makes my kids scream when a program finishes while I am driving and I cannot move to another episode for them. The kids sitting in car seat in the back keep saying they are cold and I cannot do anything to change their blower direction or temperature. Is it important to you about those? If not, stick with Tesla MS. I am very disappointed with BMW that I decided not to buy another one. When BMW wanted to charge me $1,500 for LED Headlight, that was the time I said forget it.

I think I received a call early last week but that went straight to voicemail because of my phone settings but I immediately got a text talking about courtesy trade in evaluation. I can't remember the date range then but something like end 07 to end 08.

Then it moved to a 3 week 07 window then 2 week window like 07/13 to 07/27 yesterday. By night time, it was at 07/13 to 07-17 and a vin assigned.

RN1153
NF4
I was lowballed on my non Tesla car. Worth double than their offer.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid