Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy who fitted a model 3 wheel and stalks to the S had what is probably the reason why the right scroll wheel is autopilot switch.

The autopilot haptic switch is actually there under the graphic. The plan was to engage autopilot with it and have the wheel do multifunction tasks, scroll through menus with a press, jog left right for follow distance, etc. the belief is it was deemed a requirement to have a hard button for autopilot so they turned off the haptic button and assigned it to the wheel, thus losing a lot of functionality.

Still a bad and separate choice to make the horn haptic.

Exactly right. We were promised certain features when we ordered. If those features had been discontinued when we took delivery then we would have had the option to cancel since they were no longer available. Since they were still promised as coming when delivery occurred we had no reason to think that we would not eventually get what we ordered. This has absolutely nothing to do with features added after we ordered.
Don’t mean to talk in circles but I’m not sure FOB’s were listed accessories. Also they still are available, just for a cost.

I’m still waiting for the resolution of proper wheels and tires to go 200. On that I think the T2 spec tires with temperature monitoring may be what the message was implying.

Exactly right. We were promised certain features when we ordered. If those features had been discontinued when we took delivery then we would have had the option to cancel since they were no longer available. Since they were still promised as coming when delivery occurred we had no reason to think that we would not eventually get what we ordered. This has absolutely nothing to do with features added after we ordered.
This seems to be a pretty silly back and forth, but since I'm not taking delivery today...

Yes. In a perfect world, we should get exactly what we ordered at the contracted price, nothing more and nothing less. But since Tesla has decided to give me some items (upgraded headlights, tail lights, etc.) that were not part of my original order without increasing my price, I've made a personal decision not to bitch too much about them deleting the cute little fobs. I figure that I'm coming out ahead.

This seems to be a pretty silly back and forth, but since I'm not taking delivery today...

Yes. In a perfect world, we should get exactly what we ordered at the contracted price, nothing more and nothing less. But since Tesla has decided to give me some items (upgraded headlights, tail lights, etc.) that were not part of my original order without increasing my price, I've made a personal decision not to bitch too much about them deleting the cute little fobs. I figure that I'm coming out ahead.
Yes. That is absolutely your choice to be happy with the other upgrades and not worry about other things. In your case I would do the same.

In my case, @lbowroom, and many others, we were promised a 200mph car that just required certain wheels and tires (at the time of order and of delivery). That never happened and it is looking more and more like we will not see it without significant pressure on Tesla. I'm happy to purchase the required wheels and tires in order to get my speed unlocked. Whether or not I will ever use it or actually need it is not relevant and is my individual decision.

Yes. That is absolutely your choice to be happy with the other upgrades and not worry about other things. In your case I would do the same.

In my case, @lbowroom, and many others, we were promised a 200mph car that just required certain wheels and tires (at the time of order and of delivery). That never happened and it is looking more and more like we will not see it without significant pressure on Tesla. I'm happy to purchase the required wheels and tires in order to get my speed unlocked. Whether or not I will ever use it or actually need it is not relevant and is my individual decision.
Agree with you and others 100% on this. You're a little perturbed about not having your promised 200mph car in the same way that I'm a little perturbed about my 2016 MS not having all the promised hardware necessary for level 5 driving. So...we're definitely on the same page regarding Elon's promises.

Just to update this "wow, pretty fast delivery" thread. I'm scheduled to pick it up next Monday. So... Ordered on June 14th, pick-up on June 28th. Two weeks.

Here's the final outcome. Kaitlin, my hero at the Minneapolis service center, flogged the car through some pretty goofy trucking/logistics hassles and we slid that Plaid into Quarter 2, just under the wire on the afternoon of June 30th. Way to go and kudos to the whole crew who yanked the car off the truck and got it detailed in a hour.

Did I carefully check all the checklist details before I took the car? Heck no, I never do because I know my buds at the MSP service center will make things right. Was there anything wrong. Nope, not so far (a week or so in). Have I tried Plaid? Yep -- my brains are still in my feet.

So the final elapsed time between order and delivery was... 16 days. Not too bad.

Here's the final outcome. Kaitlin, my hero at the Minneapolis service center, flogged the car through some pretty goofy trucking/logistics hassles and we slid that Plaid into Quarter 2, just under the wire on the afternoon of June 30th. Way to go and kudos to the whole crew who yanked the car off the truck and got it detailed in a hour.

Did I carefully check all the checklist details before I took the car? Heck no, I never do because I know my buds at the MSP service center will make things right. Was there anything wrong. Nope, not so far (a week or so in). Have I tried Plaid? Yep -- my brains are still in my feet.

So the final elapsed time between order and delivery was... 16 days. Not too bad.
Mine was 13 days last August.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Delivery scheduled for this coming Saturday. Was informed my car will have summer tires and no key fobs. Already tried and asked if the summers can be swapped for all seasons as others here have said they were able to get them swapped on Tesla's dime. Was told that would not be a possibility, guess I am going to have to cause somewhat of a scene on delivery day and hopefully they'll listen. Squeaky wheel gets the grease right?

By the way, taking a certified check from credit union the day of and handing to them once I can at least go over the exterior of the car on site. I will also be paying my down payment by ACH (Plaid) after I inspect at least exterior of car. Any issues doing this? I know last year sales reps hounded me to no end to pay on a Model Y before I was able to see it. Even though it turned out with minor fixable issues that was a foolish mistake to pay before and I vowed to not to do it again.
My delivery appointment at the local SC was scheduled for the 12th but they called today and asked if I wanted to pick it up today. I said yes. I drove over and the showroom was dead as can be. I asked the sales person if I could go over the car before taking delivery or paying and she said no problem. They pulled it to the staging area and left the interior open for me to go over and inspect the car. I looked it over and surprisingly the interior was pretty good and all the panels were aligned on the exterior. The main issues so far I’ve found was the discolored trim over the console shifter below the wireless phone chargers (you can see a part of the N where it should only be visible when lit up) and also the yoke scroll wheels don’t seem to take right or left clicks. My car had 28 miles so I think they drove from a local delivery center to the service center. After looking it over and figuring the issues were nothing that couldn’t be resolved on a service center appointment I decided to take it. They told me 24 hours or 100 miles for cosmetic or other delivery issues. Fortunately no vibrations, rattles, or any other pulling or issues while driving.

As I was driving home a Charger Hellcat started following me aggressively as I was entering the freeway leaving the SC and pulled up to me on the adjacent lane. His windows were heavily tinted but mine were obviously not. I looked at him and gave him an expression telling him, “you really want some of this bro??!!” I guess he had a change of heart because after all that noise and excitement and aggressively pulling up next to me, after I looked at him and he realized what I was driving he calmly left, like a dog with his tail between his legs. This car is going to get me into some trouble, lol.

My delivery appointment at the local SC was scheduled for the 12th but they called today and asked if I wanted to pick it up today. I said yes. I drove over and the showroom was dead as can be. I asked the sales person if I could go over the car before taking delivery or paying and she said no problem. They pulled it to the staging area and left the interior open for me to go over and inspect the car. I looked it over and surprisingly the interior was pretty good and all the panels were aligned on the exterior. The main issues so far I’ve found was the discolored trim over the console shifter below the wireless phone chargers (you can see a part of the N where it should only be visible when lit up) and also the yoke scroll wheels don’t seem to take right or left clicks. My car had 28 miles so I think they drove from a local delivery center to the service center. After looking it over and figuring the issues were nothing that couldn’t be resolved on a service center appointment I decided to take it. They told me 24 hours or 100 miles for cosmetic or other delivery issues. Fortunately no vibrations, rattles, or any other pulling or issues while driving.

As I was driving home a Charger Hellcat started following me aggressively as I was entering the freeway leaving the SC and pulled up to me on the adjacent lane. His windows were heavily tinted but mine were obviously not. I looked at him and gave him an expression telling him, “you really want some of this bro??!!” I guess he had a change of heart because after all that noise and excitement and aggressively pulling up next to me, after I looked at him and he realized what I was driving he calmly left, like a dog with his tail between his legs. This car is going to get me into some trouble, lol.
Congratulations!

So, because your car had 28 miles on the clock, you now have 128 miles to check for issues? Hopefuly Tesla is aware of this as it is common sense. Did they have any explanation for these miles?

So, because your car had 28 miles on the clock, you now have 128 miles to check for issues? Hopefuly Tesla is aware of this as it is common sense. Did they have any explanation for these miles?
It wasn’t explicitly stated but push comes to shove I’d make them give me until 128 miles. Either way I’ll need to let them know today. The 28 miles I expected since when I was being matched to the second VIN after putting initial order on hold for June 30 delivery, the salesperson told me that this new VIN was at a home delivery staging area and for me to pick up at the sales and service center they’d have to drive it to there to the SC. That distance is twenty something miles so I was expecting that. When I picked up my M3P in Fremont two years ago the car had 5 miles so 28 miles on this new S I chalk up to a couple of miles for QC and then twenty something miles from home delivery staging center to sales and service center. That seemed a reasonable explanation.

Don’t mean to talk in circles but I’m not sure FOB’s were listed accessories. Also they still are available, just for a cost.

I’m still waiting for the resolution of proper wheels and tires to go 200. On that I think the T2 spec tires with temperature monitoring may be what the message was implying.
It’s possible it could be the T2 tires, but I have a suspicion it’s brakes as well. That would certainly cause a ruckus, though…