Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all I got my VIN last week. And from what I heard the car is still in Freemont. All my account info looks good there is final payment that is lit up and says pay remaining balance now to avoid delays in delivery. I didn’t think I had to pay anything till I pick up the car. How long does it take from time of vin to it shipping?
Fremont... you're welcome. ;)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah, he didn't really go into much detail but basically said you need to "flex" the battery and pushing to 90% and draining the battery to below 40% or as low as you are comfortable at least once per week or two. He still suggested keeping it plugged in and charging each night. It is not going to be very often that I will drive from 90% to 40%. I am certainly not going to do it for no reason just because some service guy suggested it. I have an 8YR battery warranty the degradation is the least of my worries to be honest.

I am not taking what he had to say as gospel but they are lithium batteries and should not have memory in theory so it really shouldn't matter. Everyone is going to have their own opinions. Who knows if it came down from high up engineers or just some other tech in the department? I am undecided if I will go to 90%. May do it occasionally but likely will leave at 80% as I have been doing.
Charging to 90% every day isn’t “flexing” the battery. Charging occasionally high and draining occasionally low helps the BMS calibration, not the battery life.

Hi all I got my VIN last week. And from what I heard the car is still in Freemont. All my account info looks good there is final payment that is lit up and says pay remaining balance now to avoid delays in delivery. I didn’t think I had to pay anything till I pick up the car. How long does it take from time of vin to it shipping?
It’s in Fremont because it ain’t built when you receive a VIN (normally). Only takes a few days to build and a couple days to ship out. Varies on distance after that and a couple days at Service center to prep.

For east coast 2-3 weeks from VIN to delivered 3 times.

So I have washed the car twice now and I notice that the rear window really collects water and it sort of pools in the crack between the hatch metal and the window. I am guessing the best solution for me to clear that water better is to get an air compressor and blow the water out but anyone else see this?

Also, some of the panels especially the hood is SUPER thin. I cannot believe how thin the hood is. it flexes with very little pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if wind going down the highway deforms the hood at times.

So I have washed the car twice now and I notice that the rear window really collects water and it sort of pools in the crack between the hatch metal and the window. I am guessing the best solution for me to clear that water better is to get an air compressor and blow the water out but anyone else see this?
Yeaup this is the case with 2 of my previous S' and my current one too. Compressed air does the trick and if you don't have access to it open the tail gate and it'll mostly drain out with gravity.

Well I might be one of the few people here who got their car TOO quickly. Long story short, I live in NYC and am relocating soon to a new job in California in August. I placed my model S Plaid order on June 10th when I found out I would be moving, thinking it would take awhile to be delivered. My delivery window was Aug 10 - Sept 20th, then changed to July 27th - Aug 31st, then last Friday I got a VIN.

I wanted to have some more time to get a down payment ready without pulling from savings, and I don't want to register the car in NY then have to re-register in CA. So I called and put my order on hold, the rep said they can hold until Oct 13th, and I can remove my self from hold at any time once I'm all settled in CA.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get another VIN once you remove a hold?

Car: Model S Plaid (Blue/White/19"/no FSD/EAD)

I blow it out with my lips when I wash mine. Our Model Y does exactly the same thing.

Also, some of the panels especially the hood is SUPER thin. I cannot believe how thin the hood is. it flexes with very little pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if wind going down the highway deforms the hood at times.
The first thing I do before drying is open the back hatch… then dry that last. No problemo.

does water cascade into the rear of the car when doing this? Assuming no but I guess there is one way to find out. Will try that next time. may invest in a small portable air compressor but would prefer not to need that every time I wash.
Sorry -- forgot to mention I have 2 model Ys.... and this works perfectly for me. Still waiting on my S.

Well I might be one of the few people here who got their car TOO quickly. Long story short, I live in NYC and am relocating soon to a new job in California in August. I placed my model S Plaid order on June 10th when I found out I would be moving, thinking it would take awhile to be delivered. My delivery window was Aug 10 - Sept 20th, then changed to July 27th - Aug 31st, then last Friday I got a VIN.

I wanted to have some more time to get a down payment ready without pulling from savings, and I don't want to register the car in NY then have to re-register in CA. So I called and put my order on hold, the rep said they can hold until Oct 13th, and I can remove my self from hold at any time once I'm all settled in CA.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get another VIN once you remove a hold?

Car: Model S Plaid (Blue/White/19"/no FSD/EAD)
I held my Plaid for the new lights and had a vin days after releasing it.