Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just in case anyone is wondering how the process goes when notified of your VIN assignment, I thought I’d post my ongoing experience for insight. Today (7/29) I received a text that the vehicle is in transit from Fremont and payment must be made before delivery. I know people on here discuss whether they should pay before seeing the vehicle but since I’m financing with a credit union, I decided to take the chance so there wouldn’t be any last second surprises. I have now paid my balance and will wait to hear from them to schedule delivery. When people on here say it moves fast when you get a VIN, they’re not kidding. I am curious how long it takes to get from Fremont, California to Columbus, Ohio.
I ordered my MSLR the first week of March, it was supposed to be June/July delivery, you can see in my signature all the EDD changes; the latest being Aug 20 something to mid-October. In my case I received a text Wednesday, July 27 saying VIN is now assigned. Submit proof of insurance and complete the remaining tasks in the Tesla App.
I did not receive a notification saying it left Fremont. I called the local Miami Tesla store and chose the delivery option; which transferred me to a virtual call center in Florida. They confirmed my payment method and sent me a text to pick the delivery date.
I got funding through Everence CU for a 1.99% interest rate, and am scheduled for delivery a week from tomorrow, Sunday, August 8th, Since Tesla Finance and Everence CU are both closed on the weekends I need to pay my down payment this week and have them wire the money Thursday or Friday before delivery.
Speaking with the advisor he said very few people reject the car but; and in the rare case I do, the money will be refunded in 2-8 weeks.

Congratulations and I hope both our delivery experiences go well.

I ordered my MSLR the first week of March, it was supposed to be June/July delivery, you can see in my signature all the EDD changes; the latest being Aug 20 something to mid-October. In my case I received a text Wednesday, July 27 saying VIN is now assigned. Submit proof of insurance and complete the remaining tasks in the Tesla App.
I did not receive a notification saying it left Fremont. I called the local Miami Tesla store and chose the delivery option; which transferred me to a virtual call center in Florida. They confirmed my payment method and sent me a text to pick the delivery date.
I got funding through Everence CU for a 1.99% interest rate, and am scheduled for delivery a week from tomorrow, Sunday, August 8th, Since Tesla Finance and Everence CU are both closed on the weekends I need to pay my down payment this week and have them wire the money Thursday or Friday before delivery.
Speaking with the advisor he said very few people reject the car but; and in the rare case I do, the money will be refunded in 2-8 weeks.

Congratulations and I hope both our delivery experiences go well.
That’s great information about the refund. Congrats. I expect to get my delivery date early this week, probably for the following week. Good luck. Hope we love our new toys.

My MS LR was ready later than planned yesterday. Tesla changed the time five times in the prior 36 hours, including the last time when I was already half way to the delivery center in an uber. I went to the center anyway to see if I could sort out a better delivery timeframe. The lesson is to not go to the center until they actually give you a stall #. They sent a message at 11:45 for my 12:00 appointment saying "your model S is almost ready for pick-up, when you have arrived at your delivery location and are with your model S, review terms and accept delivery in the Tesla app...." That sounded to me like it was going to be ready at 12:00 as they'd said.

The scene is pretty crazy over there. I have a better appreciation of how much volume pressure Tesla must be under, because there were rows and rows of cars to be delivered, people all over the place, and an frazzled crew of people finding, cleaning, moving, and prepping cars.

When I found a service representative, he said they were short handed, without enough people to even bring the cars around to the delivery center, and that mine still needed cleaning and initialization, and would be ready in about 2 hours. Because of the confusion on the delivery messages, he agreed to have it delivered to my home (which is about 15 miles away.) While I was walking out of the center to meet my return Uber, I happened to walk by my car (confirmed the VIN) and it actually looked clean and seemingly ready, but maybe needed to be initialized to the server, who knows. Anyway, it arrived at my house at 7pm, while I was away.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car, and as usual at least in my experience, even when Tesla's service isn't so good they made up for it with home delivery.

It appears that Tesla is pushing final QC to service centers for new cars as they're overwhelmed at the factory. When I inspected the car and took it for a drive, the frunk latch 2nd release doesn't work so I can't open the frunk, there were no key fobs (not sure if Tesla still provides those), some padding was missing from the sides of one of the console trays which causes a loud annoying rattle (some felt strips helped as a temporary fix), and the WiFi doesn't pick up any APs from the same spot where my '17 MS75 worked just fine with my home AP. When I called the customer service line, they said to fill-out a service request for my local service center and they'll take care of it.

I like the car quite a lot nonetheless. It's midnight silver LR with 19" wheels. My first impression is that the yoke-sans-stalk experience is better than I expected. While I'd heard the rear seat dimensions had compressed from the pre-refresh model S, the door width/height seemed smaller, the legroom shorter, and the seating position lower than what I'd expected. The interior is nicer than my prior model S for sure, I love the blacked-out outer trim, the changes to the front and rear appearance of the car are cool, and insane mode is excessively great for me. I'm still playing with the suspension settings, but the configurability is great.

Morning all.... Just a few updates:
  • I am confirmed for pick up on Saturday, 8/6 - Green check mark now added to this step in the app.
  • Texted with Tesla over the weekend... car is in route to Paramus with expected ETA ~mid-week, so likely will take delivery this weekend.
  • I uploaded proof of insurance - Green check mark added to this step
  • I completed full payment this morning (I'm paying in cash) - Green check mark added to this step
  • Confirmed via text message that I will have full lifetime standard connectivity. 8 years of standard connectivity was only for orders placed on/after 7/20 despite it now saying so on my MVPA. I ordered 10/17/21.
  • Confirmed my VIN will arrive with summer tires, nothing they are willing do about it. I'll ask again nicely in person at pickup. Worst case, I'll plan to burn these up rest of the year and replace with A/S' by early December. Summer tires don't last too long anyway. Maybe ~10k miles or so. I don't want the hassle of swapping tires and wheels. Living next to NYC isn't exactly an autobahn-like experience :)
  • Ended up selling my BMW to CarMax - Was able to get $1,500 more then Tesla, which lowered again after my 30 days expired last weekend. Completed that on Friday, and deposited their check same day. It cleared this morning. Easy-peasy, took less than an hour, as car was in almost perfect shape.
  • Now driving my mothers-in-law's 15-year old POS until Tesla arrives this weekend ... Yikes! (She recently stopped driving and it's pending for us to sell it).
That's it for now... everything is now "Green" in the app and says ready for delivery. Will keep you posted on my experience from here. Good luck to all those still waiting. At least it seems the newer lead times are much more reasonable vs. the folks like me that ordered back in 2021.

Last edited:
Morning all.... Just a few updates:
  • I am confirmed for pick up on Saturday, 8/6 - Green check mark now added to this step in the app.
  • Texted with Tesla over the weekend... car is in route to Paramus with expected ETA ~mid-week, so likely will take delivery this weekend.
  • I uploaded proof of insurance - Green check mark added to this step
  • I completed full payment this morning (I'm paying in cash) - Green check mark added to this step
  • Confirmed via text message that I will have full lifetime standard connectivity. 8 years of standard connectivity was only for orders placed on/after 7/20 despite it now saying so on my MVPA. I ordered 10/17/21.
  • Confirmed my VIN will arrive with summer tires, nothing they are willing do about it. I'll ask again nicely in person at pickup. Worst case, I'll plan to burn these up rest of the year and replace with A/S' by early December. Summer tires don't last too long anyway. Maybe ~10k miles or so. I don't want the hassle of swapping tires and wheels. Living next to NYC isn't exactly an autobahn-like experience :)
  • Ended up selling my BMW to CarMax - Was able to get $1,500 more then Tesla, which lowered again after my 30 days expired last weekend. Completed that on Friday, and deposited their check same day. It cleared this morning. Easy-peasy, took less than an hour, as car was in almost perfect shape.
  • Now driving my mothers-in-law's 15-year old POS until Tesla arrives this weekend ... Yikes! (She recently stopped driving and it's pending for us to sell it).
That's it for now... everything is now "Green" in the app and says ready for delivery. Will keep you posted on my experience from here. Good luck to all those still waiting. At least it seems the newer lead times are much more reasonable vs. the folks like me that ordered back in 2021.
If you don’t take the Tesla trade-in offer, don’t you lose the sales tax portion of the trade-in?
My trader-in value, although is going down a couple of hundred every time, it still works out as sales tax value of about 4500; so selling it would need to be at least that much over the trade in offer

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
What am I doing wrong here. I like the auto present handles and proximity lock/unlock when I am not at home but when I am at home and walking in and out of the garage or getting into my other car the Tesla is always unlocking locking, presenting etc.

I have the box checked except home? Shouldn’t that let it stay in whatever status I leave the car?

043A9EFB-C6EE-4E68-A35E-7E62513C7F7E.jpeg

What am I doing wrong here. I like the auto present handles and proximity lock/unlock when I am not at home but when I am at home and walking in and out of the garage or getting into my other car the Tesla is always unlocking locking, presenting etc.

I have the box checked except home? Shouldn’t that let it stay in whatever status I leave the car?

View attachment 835354
That’s leaves the car unlocked when you are at home. Just because it’s unlocked doesn’t mean the car won’t auto present handles when you walk by with your phone. That’s the next check box down.

View attachment 835354
With your settings set as they are, the car wont LOCK at your home, but if you walk past with your phone on you, yes, the door handles will auto-present. Door handles always fold in by default regardless of setting/where you are

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
If you don’t take the Tesla trade-in offer, don’t you lose the sales tax portion of the trade-in?
My trader-in value, although is going down a couple of hundred every time, it still works out as sales tax value of about 4500; so selling it would need to be at least that much over the trade in offer
In NJ, fully electric vehicles are sales tax except. Probably one of the most generous state incentives out there. On this car, that saves over $6,300. Better then NY or CA, for sure. But if they didn't, you are right. I'd get my $1,500 back with a Tesla trade-in via the reduced sales tax.

With your settings set as they are, the car wont LOCK at your home, but if you walk past with your phone on you, yes, the door handles will auto-present. Door handles always fold in by default regardless of setting/where you are

Ok but my car IS still locking at home. Is there a setting in the car to know it is at home? This may or may not be related but I also notice on my charging stats it is showing as "other" and not charging at "home".

Ok but my car IS still locking at home. Is there a setting in the car to know it is at home? This may or may not be related but I also notice on my charging stats it is showing as "other" and not charging at "home".
Have you set your home address in the Navigation? Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

Quick update. I had my scheduled delivery for Sunday, August 7th (today is 08/01/222), I received a call from the nearby Tesla store over the weekend to make sure I had everything in order; they told me the car arrives on August 3rd; I asked if I could pick it up earlier; they were able to reschedule me for Thursday, August 4th.
Today I received an email saying I have until 2 PM tomorrow to prove financing or they will have to reschedule my delivery date.
I replied that my credit union will be wiring the money the day before and I will have proof of wire transfer when I go pick up the car.
They replied back saying they usually expect everything done 48 hours before delivery (news to me) but they will make a note of it.