Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk me through this one. Rear bumper skin arrives pre-painted from factory. Damaged one get removed from car. New one snaps on. What’s the issue?
The issue is that I’d be driving one with a visible unclipped bumper for an indefinite period of time. I’d feel stupid paying for a new car needing repairs. The last time I needed a new bumper, the replacement arrived damaged and I had to wait for a second one. Lastly, I live over an hour’s drive from the service center and the Orlando center is swamped. If it could have been repaired before delivery, I would have been okay with it.

The issue is that I’d be driving one with a visible unclipped bumper for an indefinite period of time. I’d feel stupid paying for a new car needing repairs. The last time I needed a new bumper, the replacement arrived damaged and I had to wait for a second one. Lastly, I live over an hour’s drive from the service center and the Orlando center is swamped. If it could have been repaired before delivery, I would have been okay with it.
I assumed it would be replaced before delivery. That’s not what they proposed?

Ive had cars for years with no opticoat and no swirl marks. That may be because
1)the drying process (wiping rags/towels/etc across a dry surface) is when swirls are introduced. Second most common way is via automated car washes and their dirty brushes spinning against the car
2)I handwash myself and dry with leaf blower.
Interesting, I’ve never hand washed the car, always used touch-less car washes. That may be a big reason why the car didn’t have swirls. Will do it again though, just for the peace of mind. Beats the 8k quote I got for ppf

Care to explain?
If the Tri Motor Air is faster than the Plaid, Tesla will undoubtedly respond, as they did with the Taycan in 2019. We can in some part thank the Taycan for what we have today in Plaid. Not to say Plaid wouldn't have happened at all (since from what I've heard it had been in development long before 2019), but it likely sped up that process greatly.

Just a quick update… 24 hours into ownership. I think I’m experiencing the dreaded “drivers side dash rattle.” I started noticing it about 30 miles into driving yesterday and now I can’t stop hearing it. If you search online, there is a lot of information about it and several causes and mixed solutions. It’s super annoying and not worthy of a $100k car. However, other then annoying, it does not seem to affect anything. Probably just two pieces of materials bumping together on rougher roads. I submitted a service ticket in the app this morning, but first available spot in Paramus is 8/29. My schedule is jammed next few weeks with work and travel and I’m off that week so it actually works ok. But what if this issue took the car off the road? I also did not get a mobile service option. Not sure if that is because of work load, location or nature of the service. I texted Tesla to ask if it’s something that could be converted into a mobile service. I live ~10 miles from Paramus.

Forget your car. Your garage is something ::)

Just a quick update… 24 hours into ownership. I think I’m experiencing the dreaded “drivers side dash rattle.” I started noticing it about 30 miles into driving yesterday and now I can’t stop hearing it. If you search online, there is a lot of information about it and several causes and mixed solutions. It’s super annoying and not worthy of a $100k car. However, other then annoying, it does not seem to affect anything. Probably just two pieces of materials bumping together on rougher roads. I submitted a service ticket in the app this morning, but first available spot in Paramus is 8/29. My schedule is jammed next few weeks with work and travel and I’m off that week so it actually works ok. But what if this issue took the car off the road? I also did not get a mobile service option. Not sure if that is because of work load, location or nature of the service. I texted Tesla to ask if it’s something that could be converted into a mobile service. I live ~10 miles from Paramus.
My experience is when it gets closer to your appointment date, someone will review your request to determine if that can be handled by Mobile Service. They will then switch you to that. I live within 10 miles to 2 SC. It may be a different scenario here. 6 months into ownership, I still hear cracking and rattles here and there in the car. Never seemed to be the same spot. I learned to ignore it. Above all, this is my 3rd Tesla and they all did that. I had brought one back to service because I thought someone left a screw loose inside the door. They "fixed" it and weeks later, it came back. So, I gave up. I had BMW and Audi for 10 years and they were solid as a rock. No rattle, no noise. But I still go back to Tesla. Strange, huh?

My experience is when it gets closer to your appointment date, someone will review your request to determine if that can be handled by Mobile Service. They will then switch you to that. I live within 10 miles to 2 SC. It may be a different scenario here. 6 months into ownership, I still hear cracking and rattles here and there in the car. Never seemed to be the same spot. I learned to ignore it. Above all, this is my 3rd Tesla and they all did that. I had brought one back to service because I thought someone left a screw loose inside the door. They "fixed" it and weeks later, it came back. So, I gave up. I had BMW and Audi for 10 years and they were solid as a rock. No rattle, no noise. But I still go back to Tesla. Strange, huh?
I did a little further investigation today around various panels. Sounded like it was coming from the front drivers wheel well. I felt around up there and it's full of super cheap flimsy plastic pieces. They make all kinds of noise when barely touching them. I'm not 100% sure this is it, but certainly could be. I looked at the passenger side, and same cheap pieces but they don't make as much noise when pressed. smh.

Here’s my delivery experience. Signed a few papers inside and then went out to see my new car. Super easy. The Tesla rep answered any questions I had and then left us to play with our new Tesla. It was between storms and the car was outside, so we looked it over pretty quickly. We found what looks like a tiny ding on the rear quarter panel. The ding is under the clear coat, meaning it was damaged before the clear coat was applied. I’m pretty disappointed in that. We discussed having it repaired but the entire panel would need to be stripped and repainted. Then there would be a risk of the paint not matching perfectly. It is so small, I’m leaving it be.

After I got home, I found an even worse imperfection and a panel misalignment. Since I took it straight to the PPF guy, I will have to talk to Tesla about it in a few days. I’ve included a pic of the imperfection. This is on the panel between it and the rear taillight. I am very upset about this one. The misalignment is where the side of the hatch meets the car. One side is flush, while the other side sets a good 1/4” higher than the body.

Now, excluding those three issues, I love the car. I just hope the hatch misalignment and the paint flaw can be easily fixed. Hopefully, the paint flaw under the taillight can just be sanded and touched-up. I must say it is a pretty expensive car to have these flaws. In saying that, even without those two issues fixed, I’m going to love the car for years to come.

Attachments

• B40DC4E1-F5A7-4EB1-8D0F-574D3CB335E6.jpeg
    B40DC4E1-F5A7-4EB1-8D0F-574D3CB335E6.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 163
  • BA801E90-4F2A-4B3B-9803-50889114302D.jpeg
    BA801E90-4F2A-4B3B-9803-50889114302D.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 124
Here’s my delivery experience. Signed a few papers inside and then went out to see my new car. Super easy. The Tesla rep answered any questions I had and then left us to play with our new Tesla. It was between storms and the car was outside, so we looked it over pretty quickly. We found what looks like a tiny ding on the rear quarter panel. The ding is under the clear coat, meaning it was damaged before the clear coat was applied. I’m pretty disappointed in that. We discussed having it repaired but the entire panel would need to be stripped and repainted. Then there would be a risk of the paint not matching perfectly. It is so small, I’m leaving it be.

After I got home, I found an even worse imperfection and a panel misalignment. Since I took it straight to the PPF guy, I will have to talk to Tesla about it in a few days. I’ve included a pic of the imperfection. This is on the panel between it and the rear taillight. I am very upset about this one. The misalignment is where the side of the hatch meets the car. One side is flush, while the other side sets a good 1/4” higher than the body.

Now, excluding those three issues, I love the car. I just hope the hatch misalignment and the paint flaw can be easily fixed. Hopefully, the paint flaw under the taillight can just be sanded and touched-up. I must say it is a pretty expensive car to have these flaws. In saying that, even without those two issues fixed, I’m going to love the car for years to come.
Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad you love the car! Do you mind me asking who you are using for PPF and the approximate price?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Sorry to hear about your issues, but glad you love the car! Do you mind me asking who you are using for PPF and the approximate price?
Auto detail doctor near Pataskala. He ceramic coated my Camaro a couple years ago and I appreciated his attention to detail. Here’s a pic. For my Tesla (Christine), he is putting PPF on the front, hood, side mirrors, and along both sides plus ceramic coating the entire car for $6500. He uses Suntek Reaction film.

Attachments

• 783997B1-F5EC-4D46-8302-0C61D03A2880.jpeg
    783997B1-F5EC-4D46-8302-0C61D03A2880.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 100
Awesome! Thank you!
Auto detail doctor near Pataskala. He ceramic coated my Camaro a couple years ago and I appreciated his attention to detail. Here’s a pic. For my Tesla (Christine), he is putting PPF on the front, hood, side mirrors, and along both sides plus ceramic coating the entire car for $6500. He uses Suntek Reaction film.
How does it look when you PPF partially? (not the entire car)
5y ago our Porsche dealer put clear bra on my wife's Macan and it shows...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid