Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving experience after couple of days with my Model S. Honestly didn't even take time to get adjusted to yoke steering wheel. Was worried about after seeing some reviews but personally liking it a lot. On the other hand really struggling the turn signals. Would have loved to have usual turn signal handles, I'm not used to hitting the turn signals immediately when I be want to. There seems to always some fiddling around. Hopefully after few more days I'll get used to it more and get it turned on immediately without any delay.
Like you, I got used to the yoke after a few days. A few months later, I find myself putting my right thumb over the horn area while driving. I am comfortable using the turn signal buttons and especially love the auto turn off after a lane change feature. One thing I don't like about the yoke is 3 point turn and parallel parking. My hands tend to slip off the yoke because there is no top for steering.

Driving experience after couple of days with my Model S. Honestly didn't even take time to get adjusted to yoke steering wheel. Was worried about after seeing some reviews but personally liking it a lot. On the other hand really struggling the turn signals. Would have loved to have usual turn signal handles. Hopefully after few more days I'll get used to it and get it turned on immediately without any delay.
The turn signals I can now use without even looking. Just rest your thumb on the elevated part and use the upper and lower portion of your thumb for left/right respectively. And that they turn off automatically even when switching lane is glorious. It’s that horn location that’s truly hopeless.

The turn signals I can now use without even looking. Just rest your thumb on the elevated part and use the upper and lower portion of your thumb for left/right respectively. And that they turn off automatically even when switching lane is glorious. It’s that horn location that’s truly hopeless.
While it appears glorious it seems there is always a negative too, at least that I can’t figure out.

When I go into a turn lane and hit the turn signal button it shuts off after I get in the turn lane so I end up having to hit the turn signal button twice and it happens every time. It’s like one step forward, two steps back. Is there a way to get around this that I don’t know about?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
agreed completely. The Yoke is a non issue, the turn signals are memorized but the Horn, it is terrible. I have yet to even press it. I have wanted to many times but by the time I find it the infraction that warranted the horn use is long gone. I hate it.

While it appears glorious it seems there is always a negative too, at least that I can’t figure out.

When I go into a turn lane and hit the turn signal button it shuts off after I get in the turn lane so I end up having to hit the turn signal button twice and it happens every time. It’s like one step forward, two steps back. Is there a way to get around this that I don’t know about?
I had the same problem, I found that if you hold the signal button until you are in the lane it will stay on then for the turn. Not really as ‘automatic’, but it does keep the signal on.

I had the same problem, I found that if you hold the signal button until you are in the lane it will stay on then for the turn. Not really as ‘automatic’, but it does keep the signal on.
It seems the automatic disable (or keeping enabled) functionality of turn signals over multiple lanes is based upon the angle / turning degree of the yoke. If you are turn into the direction that the turn signal is on, it will likely stay on. If you are turning away from the direction, it will disengage when you center in the first lane.

agreed completely. The Yoke is a non issue, the turn signals are memorized but the Horn, it is terrible. I have yet to even press it. I have wanted to many times but by the time I find it the infraction that warranted the horn use is long gone. I hate it.
One time I grabbed the yoke and the palm of my hand covered all the "buttons" on the right side and the horn went off!! Try it as a quick dirty way to sound off!!

Don't despair!​

Turn Signals​

To engage a turn signal, press the corresponding arrow button on the left side of the steering yoke. A turn signal cancels based on the angle of the steering yoke (for example, you finish making a turn). You can also cancel a turn signal by pressing the turn signal button a second time.
If Controls > Pedals & Steering > Automatic Turn Signals is set to Auto Cancel, turn signals cancel automatically when Model S detects completion of a maneuver such as a merge, lane change, or a fork in the roadway. You can override automatic cancellation at any time (for example, you want the turn signal to remain on because you are making more than one lane change). To override, engage the turn signal by pressing and momentarily holding the turn signal button (instead of just pressing). Then, when the first maneuver is complete, the turn signal remains on. If Automatic Turn Signals is set to Off, you must cancel the turn signal manually by pressing the turn signal button after maneuvers such as a merge, lane change, or fork in the roadway.
I. E. If NOT set to Auto Cancel, the signal cancels by yoke angle. If the signal IS set to Auto Cancel, a simple lane change will turn it off automaticaly, but an overide to stay on longer requires one to hold the signal down longer..

Last edited:

Don't despair!​

Turn Signals​

To engage a turn signal, press the corresponding arrow button on the left side of the steering yoke. A turn signal cancels based on the angle of the steering yoke (for example, you finish making a turn). You can also cancel a turn signal by pressing the turn signal button a second time.
If Controls > Pedals & Steering > Automatic Turn Signals is set to Auto Cancel, turn signals cancel automatically when Model S detects completion of a maneuver such as a merge, lane change, or a fork in the roadway. You can override automatic cancellation at any time (for example, you want the turn signal to remain on because you are making more than one lane change). To override, engage the turn signal by pressing and momentarily holding the turn signal button (instead of just pressing). Then, when the first maneuver is complete, the turn signal remains on. If Automatic Turn Signals is set to Off, you must cancel the turn signal manually by pressing the turn signal button after maneuvers such as a merge, lane change, or fork in the roadway.
I. E. If NOT set to Auto Cancel, the signal cancels by yoke angle. If the signal IS set to Auto Cancel, a simple lane change will turn it off automaticaly, but an overide to stay on longer requires one to hold the signal down longer..
Thanks all, that helps a little. So when I am turning right into my development I go one lane to the right because it’s a turn lane. I guess because I turn the yoke a little to go one lane over it cancels it and the fix is to hold the right turn signal button. I’ll try that and see how I like it. Seems like a pain to hold my thumb on the button while I’m turning vs just flipping a stalk but I’ll give it a shot. If not I will just turn that function off.

Seems like my BMW is more intuitive by just flipping the stalk a little and it blinks three times for changing lanes and flip it until it clicks and it stays on until the turn is complete.

Thanks all, that helps a little. So when I am turning right into my development I go one lane to the right because it’s a turn lane. I guess because I turn the yoke a little to go one lane over it cancels it and the fix is to hold the right turn signal button. I’ll try that and see how I like it. Seems like a pain to hold my thumb on the button while I’m turning vs just flipping a stalk but I’ll give it a shot. If not I will just turn that function off.

Seems like my BMW is more intuitive by just flipping the stalk a little and it blinks three times for changing lanes and flip it until it clicks and it stays on until the turn is complete.
You would only need to hold the turn button until established in the turning lane and then release, the signal will then remain on, on it’s own, until you complete the right turn. Although it would appear from the other post that you would only need to hold it momentarily longer and it would skip the ‘first’ maneuver. I will have to give that method a try.

If there is an arrow painted in the turn lane the car seems to know to keep the blinker on.

You would only need to hold the turn button until established in the turning lane and then release, the signal will then remain on, on it’s own, until you complete the right turn. Although it would appear from the other post that you would only need to hold it momentarily longer and it would skip the ‘first’ maneuver. I will have to give that method a try.
I tried the hold down the button feature today and it didn’t work, it shut off when I got in the turn lane. I think what you are saying makes sense that I would have to hold the button down until I get in the turn lane but that’s not a great solution and awkward. I’m going to keep playing with it to see if I can get it to work since I only tried it once this morning.

I tried the hold down the button feature today and it didn’t work, it shut off when I got in the turn lane. I think what you are saying makes sense that I would have to hold the button down until I get in the turn lane but that’s not a great solution and awkward. I’m going to keep playing with it to see if I can get it to work since I only tried it once this morning.
It has not been an issue for me. Once you moved into the turning lane, you are turning or holding for the traffic light. You may press the turn button again at that time. Signally on the turning lane is not as important as moving lane while in traffic. I am dismayed how often drivers in CA don't signal at all. It is very annoying and dangerous for those who like to cut into lane at the last minute.

Input on Tesla QC.

Picked up another MS today, a 4880xx VIN, August 2022 production.

Two words: PRETTY DISAPPOINTING.

1. Drooping c-pillar interior trim, with large gap at top.
2. Misaligned front bumper at headlight/fender.
3. Wrinkle and tear at rear 2/3 seat back where it rubs against 1/3 folding seat back.
4. Dents, pick marks in other portion of rear seat back.

All at delivery. Pics to follow….

A. First mile of driving revealed rattle sound from front, center IP, near swivel screen.

Tried to get some addressed or at least recorded by Fort Worth Delivery Ctr, but was told to just file a service request via the app.

Elon: Ten+ years of building MS’s, and well over a year of Palladium MS’s, and you’re STILL shipping six-figure garbage like this?!? PLEASE: Either fix QC at Fremont, or start firing people.

Thanks.

Input on Tesla QC.

3. Wrinkle and tear at rear 2/3 seat back where it rubs against 1/3 folding seat back.

A. First mile of driving revealed rattle sound from front, center IP, near swivel screen.

Tried to get some addressed or at least recorded by Fort Worth Delivery Ctr, but was told to just file a service request via the app.

Elon: Ten+ years of building MS’s, and well over a year of Palladium MS’s, and you’re STILL shipping six-figure garbage like this?!? PLEASE: Either fix QC at Fremont, or start firing people.

Thanks.
Sorry (and not surprised). For the rattle, it’s likely the crap plastic shroud they use. Compare to my video and let me know if that’s it. If it’s swiveled toward you it will sound rattly over uneven road, but it’s fine if centered. One of these days I’ll use some material tape to fix it, but I’ve been lazy. 😂

How’s the tail light alignment on the driver’s side (hatch to body)? Sorry, shouldn’t have brought that up. 😂

Input on Tesla QC.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear that. It appears the production is a toss of coin. Good day bad day building team? Since we are on the subject, mine is White and I noticed the rear bumper appears to be yellowish when compared to the body. Is the bumper for the white painted? Or it is the base plastic color. May be they forgot to paint mine. This would be a stupid question to ask if it was another made. But for Tesla, anything is possible.

Sorry (and not surprised). For the rattle, it’s likely the crap plastic shroud they use. Compare to my video and let me know if that’s it. If it’s swiveled toward you it will sound rattly over uneven road, but it’s fine if centered. One of these days I’ll use some material tape to fix it, but I’ve been lazy. 😂

How’s the tail light alignment on the driver’s side (hatch to body)? Sorry, shouldn’t have brought that up. 😂
Wow, that’s bad. Now I’m not feeling so bad not having the swivel screen.

Sad to hear QC issues. I guess I lucked out with mine, no issues. I was expecting something after following this thread since battery day.