Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your Model S a 2022 or 2023 model? My Model S LR is also supposed to ready between 12/1-12/31 and I'm hopping it's a 2023.
He only has an EDD. Unfortunately the only PF (2023 VIN) assignments we have seen for S is one going to EU for delivery before end of year, unclear if it has even been manufactured yet. That said, it has been extremely quiet on VIN assignments recently and flyovers of Fremont are showing very little activity in the S/X prep area. I am assuming they are making the tooling changes for 2023 right now. If that’s the case I would expect all future VIN assignments that are not from inventory to end up being 2023 models.

Same boat as you, crossing my fingers.

1667934759511.jpeg

Reactions: zoomer0056
He only has an EDD. Unfortunately the only PF (2023 VIN) assignments we have seen for S is one going to EU for delivery before end of year, unclear if it has even been manufactured yet. That said, it has been extremely quiet on VIN assignments recently and flyovers of Fremont are showing very little activity in the S/X prep area. I am assuming they are making the tooling changes for 2023 right now. If that’s the case I would expect all future VIN assignments that are not from inventory to end up being 2023 models.

View attachment 872582
Yep, had a 2022 NF VIN in September and put order on hold. Now only EDD.

View attachment 872582
What tooling changes? Tesla doesn't necessarily make any changes when they advance the model year, so I'm not following you. Do you have some info we don't?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Just yesterday I was assigned a 2022 VIN for a Model S LR. I asked to be placed on hold and they are giving me just a 7 day hold period. Hopefully that will be long enough to get a 2023 VIN.
It wouldn’t surprise me if people are playing hot potato with cars manufactured a few weeks ago as many people don’t want to be the one stuck with a 2022 VIN. I would have been curious to know the manufacture date if Tesla could have told you, but too late for that.

What tooling changes? Tesla doesn't necessarily make any changes when they advance the model year, so I'm not following you. Do you have some info we don't?
Model S/X production has slowed to an absolute crawl based on flyovers by drones. We know they have plenty of X orders to fill. If they aren’t making any tooling changes for the model year change then they are obviously having some major supply issues. This also being the timeframe they have changed over the model year in the past suggests the former. If this wasn’t the case they would have just made the swap over to the new model year with no ceremony and we would have been seeing new VINs popping up by now.

Note that tooling changes does not mean significant car changes, just manufacturing changes. They happen all the time, they shutdown the line to reoptimize things, and the model year changeover is as good of a time as any to do them.

Last edited:
What location did you choose for pickup? I picked up mine from the Owings Mills store.. Great experience on allowing me to inspect before accepting. No issues at all so far.

I know you didn’t refer to me but I also picked mine up at Owings Mills and they let me check out my car and even pointed out an issue that I didn’t even see while we were inspecting it.

On the other hand, my post sales experience and service experience there wasn’t good at all.

What location did you choose for pickup? I picked up mine from the Owings Mills store.. Great experience on allowing me to inspect before accepting. No issues at all so far.
I know you didn’t refer to me but I also picked mine up at Owings Mills and they let me check out my car and even pointed out an issue that I didn’t even see while we were inspecting it.

Hey my fellow Marylanders! I requested pick up in Rockville, I live here due to work. However I have family in Owings Mill area so I'm there often.