Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting that people that ordered in mid jan have the same dates as those in LaYe Jan. I assume production is based on thenexterior paint color everything else is picked and installed unless they have a back order on a certain part like the yoke or third motor for the plaid ,etc. thanks to all that have been adding their information and to whoever is managing the spread sheet

• Informative
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Sounds like EOQ delivery, but you get the latest trim, brakes, large rear screen. Don't be afraid to reject it if it is not perfect, lots of inventory, demand is low, don't accept someone else's reject. Get the car birthday as soon as you have been VINed.

Insist the car be open and that you have a good hour during daylight to look the car over before accepting. Let them know your expectations now, switch stores of needed.

The typical scraped up front bumper from coming off the car carrier requires removal to repaint and/or replace, don't expect it will properly fixed by SvC.

Black interior hides seat wrinkles and trim defects well, so you are ahead there..
Thank you for this! A little more background and then if you don't mind I have a few questions and clarifications:

Cross-shopped this with the forthcoming SQ8 e-tron facelift. Good looking car, very smooth and quiet, arguably better built but disliked the range (meant to be improved but needs to begin with a 3 and I think 250 is more likely), slower infotainment and lack of proper regenerative braking. Wife and I split use of our cars and like to have one EV, currently it's a MYP owned since mid 2020 which has been largely flawless. However the ride is rough, it's always been ugly as sin, and power drop-off at higher speeds is irksome. Had to reject 3 before accepting our unit due to paint bubbles, headliner damage, door alignment and gouged glass. Madness. But it's been a great car (hence going for another Tesla) and it still made the pre facelift e-tron S we test drove seem a little old fashioned in the dislikes listed at the top of this paragraph.

1. EOQ is end of quarter?
2. Copy that on VIN. This must be my ordered car. Anyway to check mileage before accepting car?
3. Thank you for underside bumper reminder. Other externals is door alignment and paint quality, correct? Any other tips?
4. When you say "stores" does that mean where we are getting in delivered to? I chose a local delivery center as to home would likely be a nightmare if car was flawed.
5. When we bought our Y we could pore all over the inside, but now I need permission for that too? So I should call my showroom store or where it is getting delivered? Sounds like interior has some things I need to checkout too such as internal lighting but not sure it'll work without having the "key".

When we bought the Y not only could you go all through it but you could own it a week and return it. Were out a couple grand if you did that iirc. That was huge peace of mind, but likely discontinued due to people abusing it. At 135k after tax the restricted inspection parameters plus seemingly unimproved quality control have me feeling less excited than I would be were these concerns not both present and real.

interesting that people that ordered in mid jan have the same dates as those in LaYe Jan. I assume production is based on thenexterior paint color everything else is picked and installed unless they have a back order on a certain part like the yoke or third motor for the plaid ,etc. thanks to all that have been adding their information and to whoever is managing the spread sheet
Duke846 says with his experience, production & delivery tends to align more with interior color, and I think he is correct. While I don't know, it looks like they may paint a bunch of bodies, different colors, (one batch of red frames, then Blue, Black, etc) and they then start those frames down the assembly line, mixing the colors. This correlates with some videos I have seen of the tesla assembly lines. A red car following a black, etc.

At Fremont, the interior seats and upholstery are assembled at a smaller (but closely located) factory owned by Tesla, and it is probably quicker to assemble one color at a time, and then ship those to the large Fremont factory. Also, and it correlates with our data, Tesla seems to start with premium interiors (White, most popular I think, then Cream) and then install the basic (black) interior. I don't think the steering wheel or wheel sizes will make a difference pending any supply shortages.

I am also not sure how Plaid vs non-Plaid vehicles plays into the mix. It looks like the non-Plaid orders are being filled after the Plaids, but our data sample isn't large enough to reliably say that.

I appreciate the data from everyone! I doubt I will keep this up after I get mine, but happy to had it off or make a public Google Drive that people can input data into.

Speaking of, updated list including @dgene84 , thanks for the info!
Order DateNamePlaid?InteriorExteriorWheelsSteeringEDDVIN DateDelivery Loc/Date
3-JanLowtekYBlackRed21"Yoke15 Feb -22 MarAlabama
7-JanK.I.T.T.23YCreamBlack19"Yoke8 Feb - 15 MarColorado
13-JanDuke846YWhiteWhite19"Round5 Feb - 25 FebNebraska
16-JanSuyoungmanYBlackGrey19"19 Feb - 31 MarOC
16-JanKingPaulNCreamGray19"Round28 Feb - 23 MarN Carolina
17-JanNickosYBlackBlack21"Round21 Feb - 28 MarCalifornia
18-JanHAJMNWhiteBlue19"Round3 Mar - 31 MarFlorida
18-JanToddlNBlackBlue19"Round19 Feb - 31 MarCalifornia
25-JanmsnapperYBlackSilver21"Round26 Feb - 31 MarWisconsin
26-Jandgene84YWhiteBlack21"Yoke28 Feb - 31 MarTexas
30-JanwhenrybYCreamSilver19"RoundFeb - MarNashville

Reactions: suyoungman
Speaking of, updated list including @dgene84 , thanks for the info!
7-JanK.I.T.T.23YCreamBlack19"Yoke8 Feb - 15 MarColorado
13-JanDuke846YWhiteWhite19"Round5 Feb - 25 FebNebraska
18-JanHAJMNWhiteBlue19"Round3 Mar - 31 MarFlorida
All you are missing now is people placing orders and burning money to see and add other data points.

• Funny
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Thank you for this! A little more background and then if you don't mind I have a few questions and clarifications:

Cross-shopped this with the forthcoming SQ8 e-tron facelift. Good looking car, very smooth and quiet, arguably better built but disliked the range (meant to be improved but needs to begin with a 3 and I think 250 is more likely), slower infotainment and lack of proper regenerative braking. Wife and I split use of our cars and like to have one EV, currently it's a MYP owned since mid 2020 which has been largely flawless. However the ride is rough, it's always been ugly as sin, and power drop-off at higher speeds is irksome. Had to reject 3 before accepting our unit due to paint bubbles, headliner damage, door alignment and gouged glass. Madness. But it's been a great car (hence going for another Tesla) and it still made the pre facelift e-tron S we test drove seem a little old fashioned in the dislikes listed at the top of this paragraph.

1. EOQ is end of quarter?
2. Copy that on VIN. This must be my ordered car. Anyway to check mileage before accepting car?
3. Thank you for underside bumper reminder. Other externals is door alignment and paint quality, correct? Any other tips?
4. When you say "stores" does that mean where we are getting in delivered to? I chose a local delivery center as to home would likely be a nightmare if car was flawed.
5. When we bought our Y we could pore all over the inside, but now I need permission for that too? So I should call my showroom store or where it is getting delivered? Sounds like interior has some things I need to checkout too such as internal lighting but not sure it'll work without having the "key".

When we bought the Y not only could you go all through it but you could own it a week and return it. Were out a couple grand if you did that iirc. That was huge peace of mind, but likely discontinued due to people abusing it. At 135k after tax the restricted inspection parameters plus seemingly unimproved quality control have me feeling less excited than I would be were these concerns not both present and real.
1). Correct. 2) Agreed 3) see the checklist on the MS delivery thread. 4) correct. 5) yes. Manage their expectations.they must open the car or you are buying the etron

Just curious; if I were to change my mind about the gray, and want black, how would I go about it, and would it push me out of my current delivery spot?
So I changed from no EAP, to EAP... that had no impact, but that is not like a manufacturing change.
Personal opinion: don't make that decision due to a delivery date or place in line... if you want black, get black!! You are spending over $100k, it has to be right.

You can go back in this huge 4000 page thread and confirm what I am saying about delivery. i have ordered 3 teslas . My 2019 took 62 days my 2022 took a whopping 5 months.
lol! I will take your word for it... and the data supports your point about the interior. This will be my second order, and our first never made it... we found a Model Y in stock. Cool story with it too. Talking to the Sales Rep, the one we bought was used by the engineers while testing the Model S Plaid in Florida... by Cape Canaveral, at least that is where we picked it up. At the time, Model Ys were about 6 months or more out for order, so my wife was just surfing all the Tesla Store Zip codes to see what was in stock... and this white Y showed up. She clicked it to buy it, we called the Tesla store it was at and they hadn't even realized they got it yet. They knew it was coming, just not that it was online. She probably saw it minutes after it was listed. Even got a little discount on it because it had three-thousand (I think) miles on it. They had just completed testing of the Plaids and no longer needed the Y so... back to the sales floor it went! For about 5 minutes...

That said, your EDD window opens up tomorrow @Duke846 . I would be curious how your window changes, if you get a VIN, or anything.

Here is a minorly updated list, please let me know if anyone else (looking @lowtek !) got any updates on delivery. I wonder if there was a delay on round steering wheels? That is the only thing I can think of that would have pushed you @Duke846 . (Changes in Red):
7-JanK.I.T.T.23YCreamBlack19"Yoke12 Feb - 5 MarColorado
13-JanDuke846YWhiteWhite19"Round22 Feb - 9 MarNebraska
18-JanHAJMYWhiteBlue19"Round3 Mar - 31 MarFlorida