Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Signatures series starts at 1 to how ever many orders there are (up to 1000 in NA). The R and P also start at 1. I'm pretty sure I have this correct.

That sounds pretty accurate.

This probably isn't reliable anymore but here is what TM used to have on their site about the "R" reservations:

Will Roadster Owners be given referral spots for friends?
Yes. Each Roadster owner will get 5 referral spots that can be used prior to June 30, 2009. After this date Roadster friends will be prioritized with general public.

Source

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312510281997/dex991.htm
g129292ex99_1pg010.jpg

I really dont think the reservations tell the true story of the demand for the Model S. I've posted this car on a couple of the forums that I belong to and many of the people are skeptical that there is an electric car that has the performance, range and styling of a Tesla for such an affordable price. They think that if the big automakers werent able to do then it must be a scam but the man of them were very impressed and said they'd buy one if they were actually produced.

I think once Tesla gets the Alpha build out and starts promoting the Model S demand for the Tesla will really take off. For right now I dont think most people even know that an EV as good as the Model S exists or will exist any time soon.

If you think about it FR23, those folks you speak of really shouldn't be skeptical...they could test drive a Roadster today and see the impressive performance and range of the Roadster...no reason to think that the Model S couldn't at least match these Roadster traits...that only leaves styling which should be very easy now that the Model S exterior is frozen and cost which hopefully will be disclosed by the 3rd or 4th quarter 2011 (my guess on this...no inside knowledge here)

If they're sitting on the fence about buying a Model S, a Roadster test drive will cinch it for most folks I'd bet...of course if they wait too long, they'll be driving the 2014 model year...:biggrin::wink:

I really dont think the reservations tell the true story of the demand for the Model S. I've posted this car on a couple of the forums that I belong to and many of the people are skeptical that there is an electric car that has the performance, range and styling of a Tesla for such an affordable price. They think that if the big automakers werent able to do then it must be a scam but the man of them were very impressed and said they'd buy one if they were actually produced.

I think once Tesla gets the Alpha build out and starts promoting the Model S demand for the Tesla will really take off. For right now I dont think most people even know that an EV as good as the Model S exists or will exist any time soon.

I talk with plenty of people who know about and are excited about the Model S. They fully intend to buy one but either don't know about reserving it or just are not that type of person. Sales are waiting in the wings...

Once people can actually sit in and drive a Model S (beta version I guess), I think sales will jump way up. There aren't a lot of people used to putting money down for a car without ever even seeing it in person.

Considering that they are talking about around 7k cars in 2012 and around 20k in 2013, they will probably start selling out all of these. After all 20k cars isn't that much. The greenline Volvo V70 is selling a few k cars here in Norway, and that is for a large premium family car. So if they started pushing sales they would very quickly sell out 2013 year as well and most people don't put down deposits on cars 2 years out.

Cobos

If they're sitting on the fence about buying a Model S, a Roadster test drive will cinch it for most folks I'd bet
Some may be waiting for Model S reviews when it becomes available. Others may just want to see the finished product and determine if it is what they expect.

It would be nice to hear from Tesla on how they plan to manage sales and reservations once the production models hit the streets of the world. :cool:

Placed my reservation today!

Can't wait to actually drive one the Model S. Drove the Roadster in November and it was a rocket on wheels. I'm more the sedan type. I have not gotten a confirmation number other than the credit card being charged.