Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Demo-Car rolling in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess there is one model S touring Europe? I guess this is a signature version (only ones that got made up to now?) and probably can't be test driven on public roads for now. If there is indeed only one in demo model in the EU, please don't crash is the next few days: I've booked a test drive next Tuesday (30th).
Are you a journalist?

I gave Tesla EU a call today and they told me this promotion program for Model S in Europe was something they are doing together with Athlon to get journalists ride in it.

He also told me that test drives in Europe aren't that far away.

There is definitely more than one Model S in Germany right now - that one from the youtube video appeared to be black and I have personally just seen a silver Model S in the wild while driving back from work!:love:

I met it on a relatively small road just a few miles east of Munich airport. My guess would be that Tesla is doing some kind of promotion or presentation at the airport. With its futuristic styling and the thousands of people passing through it is extremely popular among German car makers for such purposes. Both Audi and BMW are running large scale driver training operation on large lots directly on the airport, too.

I've seen articles from Spain, France, Germany, the Netherlands and UK. It would appear to be a big press event.

The UK report is interesting (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/first-drives/first-drive-review-tesla-model-s)
as they say "This is the Tesla Model S, the first bespoke creation from PayPal creator Elon Musk’s stable, which we tested in Germany, the first time we have driven the car in Europe. The car was production ready save for a couple of parts, such as rear headlights, which are still being prototyped for European homologation."

So we it's getting closer...:biggrin:

I got a call from Tesla EU this morning, they wanted to explain what was going on. Since I'm a regular visitor of this forum they called me (He said that!)

Anyway, there was a press embargo until 18:00 yesterday (European time), everybody had to keep their mouths shut, including the people at Tesla.

The press indeed got to ride the Model S and he assured me that test drives for customers will be starting shortly.

I told him that I'm going to be out of the country until December 12th, he'd arrange that I could test driver afterwards!

He didn't tell me when exactly, but I got the feeling we'll be getting the first invitations somewhere half November.

Check out the attached pictures, they show a German license plate on the car. I'm waiting for the first pictures of the charge port, we might see the 3-phase connector? (Whishful thinking!)

m1ny25pbebpt.jpg

m1ny25pbcrpu.jpg

That is a Munich plate, fits right in with the rest of the sightings. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla focused its initial efforts on Bavaria/southern Germany in general as it is the most densely built up/populated and wealthiest part of Germany.

There is definitely more than one Model S in Germany right now - that one from the youtube video appeared to be black and I have personally just seen a silver Model S in the wild while driving back from work!:love:

There is at least three Model S in Europe. A black one, a silver one and a sig red one. All with 21" silver wheels. I saw a picture of them all together somewhere.

I'm waiting for the first pictures of the charge port, we might see the 3-phase connector? (Whishful thinking!)

I very much think we will see a Mennekes style 3-phase vehicle inlet.

EDIT: Or perhaps not based on the picture (http://www.wheels-and-you.com/JA/images/cars/Tesla/ModelS/TeslaModelS-19.jpg) in the Swiss review above referenced by suxxer. I guess it depends whether the press models are EU spec whether we can draw charging conclusions from them.

UPDATE: I've read the review in Essai - Tesla Model S : La révolution est en marche !. One thing that is mentioned is that Tesla has set up in the basement of the hotel a charger capable of adding 100km range per hour charged, ie about 60 mph. I reckon that means about 22kW. This could be a single phase 70A or 80A (17-20 kW) or a 3x32A 22kW. It would be tremendous if someone based in Munich could poke around the basement of the hotel and take a look!

Last edited: