Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Demo-Car rolling in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Garching - north of Munich - is also the TÜV Süd Battery Test Center. It is pretty new and it could play some role in homologation of Model S.
(crossposting from "Is Tesla stalling homologation/deliveries to foreign markets to get more cash faster?"-thread)
seekingalpha.com : Tesla Motors' CEO Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript : Elon: said:
So we believe that there is very little to get the European spec in homologation ready for production. We could start production of those units sooner than kind of the March, April timeframe next year. But there is not really a need to do that, since we can fully install our production with North American demand, rather than increase the complication of managing all those cars in Europe. And we want to stay focused in North America just for a few more months, before we start ship cars over to Europe, and then Asia shortly thereafter.
So Elon is saying essentially, that they're stalling European deliveries, because it's less complicated to manufacture cars for the U.S. market.

I had somehow hoped, that Tesla would be going the extra mile for long time Signature reservation holders in Europe.

As it seems, there are no major technical or administrative reasons, why they couldn't start manufacturing for the European market very soon.

I have to admit, that for me as an early Sig Reservation holder (#14) in Europe, this is kind of disappointing.

Last edited:
They seem to be very concerned about quality and I guess trying to support problems with European cars would just distract them from the main concern to produce cars and generate money. Depending on the results of the US election that may be a sound strategy.
Assuming they are commercially driven then we need to get the european market share up and then we will have more voice.
I found it interesting that they noticed that having their cars being driven around by customers in the US was adding to their sales.
Pity they haven't "done the math" and considered that equation for europe too.
All that said and done I have every sympathy for all of you that have waited so patiently and so very long. I share some of your frustration as it seems I will have to wait until late 2013 or even 2014 to get mine as I only have #1403 :crying:

All that said and done I have every sympathy for all of you that have waited so patiently and so very long. I share some of your frustration as it seems I will have to wait until late 2013 or even 2014 to get mine as I only have #1403 :crying:

I think it's easier for them to batch EU cars together and also cheaper to ship a lot of cars in one ship. So my guess is they will make ~1600 EU cars in one month and ship them over together :cool:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but getting North American cars out first will be better for Tesla's financials: to keep Wall St happy, they really need to hit the cars-delivered and revenue targets for 2012. With a California factory, transit time to Europe is at least two weeks, probably more like three to get a car actually delivered, while the N.A. cars can go from factory to driveway in about a week on average. Those two extra weeks to Europe would lower Q4 deliveries by at least 500, which Tesla simply cannot afford at this point.

Putting 1600 EU Model S on a transport ship together - that is $100m in production cost, $136m in revenue, and 4 weeks of full production. Not good for Tesla.
During 4 weeks, no cars are produced for U.S. and Canada market - not good for North American customers.
Delivery of 500 EU Signature cars held up for 3 more weeks to produce and QC another 1100 EU general production cars, then sigs get delivered along with GP - can you imagine the howling?

My expectation is, Tesla will ship Model S in batches of few hundred cars, with a decent lapse between sigs and gp. And I don't expect my car in April 2013.

My guess is "smaller batches of maybe 100 cars per ship is plausible. Imagine $100m going down, IF the ship sinks... They might have some insurance, but I think it will take quite a while for it to be paid out. This might interrupt other development.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Putting 1600 EU Model S on a transport ship together - that is $100m in production cost, $136m in revenue, and 4 weeks of full production. Not good for Tesla.
During 4 weeks, no cars are produced for U.S. and Canada market - not good for North American customers.
Delivery of 500 EU Signature cars held up for 3 more weeks to produce and QC another 1100 EU general production cars, then sigs get delivered along with GP - can you imagine the howling?

Of course the Sigs must be done first, as a separate batch. Also so they can start to offer Sunset red.

I don't see many EU P cars being delivered before US P 10,000 or so, so if some US customers must wait another few weeks their reservations will be quite current anyway.

My guess is EU P cars start arriving in numbers in July/August of 2013 and I'll be quite surprised if P200 and P1200 is more than a couple of months apart max. They'd probably want to deliver them all as fast as possible to get the word out and increase reservation rate.

I'm a lucky owner of a Roadster, and i have of course made a reservation for the S. I have been told this week from Tesla Norway that the delivery will start with the Signature-holders, then Roadster-owners that also have ordered S, and last the normal orders. They also expect to have the car in the shop before christmas. I hope i will have my S to the summer 2013:)

I have to hurry finishing my garage:) white walls, downlights, waterheated floor with tiles and two BIG poweroutlets on the wall, one for my Roadster and one for my S:) And of course Tesla- logo on the wall with LED-light..