Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S "Demo" Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with commission-based car sales. It's the prime reason dealers are so hated. Really the ideal (for me) way to buy a car is online. Might need a test drive, but I do the research before ever getting into a car. The person is there to give me the keys and that's about it.

It would be interesting if Tesla offered the option of a commissioned salesperson. Once you talk to the salesperson, your car price goes up $1000 to pay that commission and you'd be subjected to strong-arm tactics for that sale just like a dealer. My guess is few would pick that option.

Reactions: KBF
I disagree with commission-based car sales. It's the prime reason dealers are so hated. Really the ideal (for me) way to buy a car is online. Might need a test drive, but I do the research before ever getting into a car. The person is there to give me the keys and that's about it.

It would be interesting if Tesla offered the option of a commissioned salesperson. Once you talk to the salesperson, your car price goes up $1000 to pay that commission and you'd be subjected to strong-arm tactics for that sale just like a dealer. My guess is few would pick that option.
I think there's a stereotype for a reason, but also, each dealership is unique. There are pushy places, but there are good ones as well.
I've never been pushed at any of the "luxury" new car dealerships I've visited (MB, BMW, even Honda/Acura). I've also terrible experiences at domestic places, and mixed experiences from used car spots. I've been several times to CarMax which has no haggle pricing, and I've never felt pressured there.
Just saying that Tesla has options. And obviously if we're talking about poor experiences at their showrooms, then there's room for improvement, and options are available. There's probably folks who really enjoyed their Tesla showroom visit. Unhappy people are typically the loudest. So who knows the real percentage of folks who go and leave thinking they'd never buy a Tesla simply because the employee that helped them was bad.

Many otherwise "traditional" dealerships utilize a non-commission pay structure for their salespeople but that doesn't necessarily make the sales experience better than commission-based ones. Having shopped for a variety of cars over the years (for myself or with family and friends), I've found sales experiences vary a lot more by the level of car being considered than any commission/non-commission factors.

I think the key is paying salespeople a fair salary whether it be commission or non-commission based. Tesla, which operates as both the manufacturer and the dealer, has one of if not the highest margins in the industry and could easily afford to pay sales advisors more but prefers to use the money/profits in other ways. Sales/customer service just doesn't seem to be a priority for Tesla but that may change as competition continues to heat up.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
I bought a Model Y last month, and had a great experience. Though I didn't bother with a test drive (though I might have if I was waffling between two models). Tesla already has 'new owner' videos - so I just watched them all ahead of time, and they answered all the questions I had. It makes far more sense than relying on salespeople to remember all the details, and you avoid misinformation. Messaging is consistent, thorough, and to the point (often the salespeople who know the most also talk too much...).

All humans I interacted with in the Saskatoon Tesla Store were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable, and the entire sales experience was efficient and seamless. Night and day from any ICE ordeal I've gone through in previous decades. I've never met a salesperson more knowledgeable than me about the vehicle I've ever bought, no matter the brand, because I read ahead of time.

Service is similarly a new experience - customers who are used to having their hand held will struggle (I did once they switched to the app). Once I realized the autonomous nature of service and relaxed my need to micromanage things, I came to appreciate how efficient service is. It's not perfect, but in Canada I've had excellent experiences overall. (And I actually prefer the Uber credit vs a loaner - means I get chauffeured around town for the day and can get more work done...)

Changing to a new approach means losing some good things of the past, but I certainly wouldn't trade the Tesla positives because that would mean getting the legacy negatives... To me it's a big deal.

Reactions: vcor