TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Deposit Payment Options

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Knight Rider, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

I'm considering putting a deposit on a Model S Performance. Do you know if we can put the deposit on an Amex card?

Thanks

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I put my Model X deposit on an Amex at the event. Should be possible.

3. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

Yes you can. That is how I put my deposit down.

4. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

Their online shop accepts the usual MC, Visa, Discover, and AMEX: Tesla Store Help Tesla Motors So, there's no reason they wouldn't be able to accept that for reservations as well.

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Yes, you can, I've done 2 that way.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I used Visa. Not that I'm thinking of it, but would cancellations just see the money put back on the card???

7. Macbest

Macbest Member

Interesting. When I put my money down last week at the Meno Park store, they said Visa and MC only.

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I did a wire transfer, would have been much nicer to use a credit card... (25$ cheaper + cashback/points)!

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I used my AmEx also back in March.

10. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

Depends on how long after the reservation you do it. Normally, merchant accounts allow 30-90 day refunds by default and you can request special permission to make up to a 365 refund either on a one-time or permanent basis. I'm guessing for refunds beyond a year, they just cut you a check.

11. metafor

metafor Member

On a related note. Has anyone who has taken out a loan attempted to put their down payment on a credit card or AMEX? Some of them offer ~2% or at least 1% cashback, which can be significant on a ~40k down payment.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I think that question was posed to Tesla by someone. Only checks (even personal) and EFTs apparently for the downpayment (over and above the original $5,000 deposit); Tesla would have to swallow the 2-3% commission on the credit card transaction otherwise.

13. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I paid my P reservation on VISA two years ago, the upgraded to Sig when a slot became available last June. My rep said NO to putting the +$35k deposit on VISA, instead they said wire transfer or check. I fed-ex them my check, and they paid for the fed-ex.

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I paid my X Sig reservation by personal check.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's quite possible -- I only did the 5k at the event (left my checkbook and let Bonnie get the jump on me)

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

:) I would have elbowed you out of the way, even if you'd gotten in line before me.

17. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I was able to use an Amex back in May when placing my Model S reservation. But today when wanting to place a Model X reservation, Amex was not an option. Paypal was an option, however, and I used my Amex with Paypal. I can't see how that would be beneficial to them considering that both Paypal and Amex get a cut.

18. goyogi

goyogi Member

19. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

I used AmEx for the original 5k deposit, but I don't think I got any cash back. Don't places like Costco/Sams club negotiate with CC companies for special rates, but then cash back/bonus things don't work with them.
    for those of us reserving 1-2 years ago, tesla could have made more than 2-3% in interest, or at least more than 2-3% in value of not having to raise that cash some other way. [excluding those of us from WA state where the money is locked up somewhere]

20. metafor

metafor Member

AMEX usually gives you points towards travel and/or other things unless you have the Blue Cash. Most CC companies make their money from the interest they get (since most people keep a balance) so they'll readily waive the transaction fee for large retail chains like Walmart or Costco. I don't know if Tesla is a big enough company but since they're financing through Wells Fargo, I figured that'd be sufficient to get the CC companies to waive the fee. Or at the very least, if you used a Wells Fargo CC, there'd be no fee to Wells Fargo...